Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Panel Fencing different ideas

• 21-01-2019 6:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45

Hi, I recently bought a house which has panel fencing running down one side, 10 of the 6x6 type with the concrete H posts. They are well battered and I'm not a big fan of these anyway, is there anything else that can be used? I looked at the PVC ones but they are mad money (cost about 1K to do mine). Would individual planks running horizontal work like sleeper boards? Has anyone ever done this and what sort of cost is involved?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

How solid are the H posts? Is the spacing uniform correct?

You could use decking or pressure treated timber, but that would be expensive.

You can use standard gravel boards, they work out at €8 each, it will probably take 4 or 5 of these for each panel. They are heavy so will need 3 people or a hoist to put them in place.

You can also get the same concrete boards with a pattern in them that look slightly better.

I replaced a fence with gravel boards a few years back, not a problem since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,140 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What size is the garden? Rural or urban?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 readymix111

Its not a real big garden but the panels run from side entrance to back wall, the H posts are solid and appear to be uniform, I don't want to go down the road of the concrete boards, id be afraid of the extra weight incase they did fall over (plus its shared with the neighbours), would the decking planks be too thin for the H grooves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I had a similar issue to you, ended up going with a smooth shipboard / lap type vertical board arched panel, they look a lot nicer than the cheap rough sawn ones, but do need a little extra treating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,140 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Its not a real big garden but the panels run from side entrance to back wall, the H posts are solid and appear to be uniform, I don't want to go down the road of the concrete boards, id be afraid of the extra weight incase they did fall over (plus its shared with the neighbours), would the decking planks be too thin for the H grooves?

You don't need decking, just ordinary treated boards of the right thickness. Meas

IMO the size of the board should reflect the size of your garden, so if your garden isn't huge don't go for massive deep boards.

I think the H posts have a 50mm gap, so maybe 44mm thick would do it. Buy a couple and see if they work. The wood will swell a bit over time.

https://www.goodwins.ie/products/Treated-Rough-Sawn-Timber-125mm-x-44mm-4.8M-5x2-16ft-.html?filter_set[]=20,266,1400

• Advertisement
Advertisement