Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My mother is becoming an alcoholic.

• 19-01-2019 11:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm 20 years of age and have noticed a worsening drinking problem with my mother.

She has always enjoyed drinking wine over the weekend, definitely two out of three nights of the weekend, but I have noticed an increase in consumption.

The point where it became very clear was a week or so before Christmas. Drinking any day of the week is fairly commonplace in Ireland over the Christmas period but this is the worst thing I'd ever seen from any member of my family. I woke her up on the couch having come in from work, not knowing she had drank, and when I did wake her she looked up at me dazed and confused and drove her head back down into the couch without saying a word. I initially thought she was joking with me but all I could get out of her were grunts and groans. My younger sister and I had to guide her to her room and once by her bedside she dropped to her knees and claimed she couldn't get up. Again, I was none the wiser to the fact that she had alcohol in her system, I actually thought she might have been having a stroke and was the click of a button from ringing an ambulance. When other family members were called into the room we managed to get her into the bed at which point a half litre bottle of vodka hidden behind the couch was brought to my attention. Whether or not she drank half the bottle that night I can't say fot certain, but the fact that never have I ever seen someone so drunk suggests she did.

Nobody has mentioned it since nor has she because I doubt she can remember. Her reasoning for drinking vodka as opposed to wine is due to lower calories and that the addition of mixers tones it down but i can't help but feel that it's a convenient excuse to drink harder.
    A couple of days after she kind of opened up on how she has been suffering from depression and that she wanted to turn over a new leaf by doing Dry January and potentially going to AA if necessary. She had pre-booked a night out in early January which she claimed would be the only night she would drink but as I sit and write this late on January 19th she is in the next room with a glass of something, having told me that she finds it to be a release from any issues she is suffering from.
    She says that she has toned it down to just the weekends but I still feel something needs to be done to stop her from putting herself at ease through alcohol.

While I think she needs help it is a very controversial topic to bring up and when I've mentioned it in the past it is conceived as disrespectful. I know it's only for the greater good that I'm doing it, but it can still be seen as disrespectful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Unanimous

Do you know what issues she is suffering from?
    Be very careful now if your suggestions are perceived disrespectful.
    It's hard if you don't know what is wrong with her so don't try anything drastic.
    Try bonding with her and going for a walk together, spending time with her etc if possible so that you know what is wrong with her.
    You may also call help lines anonymously and ask for advice just so that you know what to do if things get bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭joeguevara

From my experience with people with addiction is they want you to show that you are there for them. If a person is judgmental it can have a detrimental affect. Show your love and say that you are there for them and want to speak at their pace. Although you want a quick solution if someone is pushed they will fight back and their addiction will become worse. Wishing you and your mother all the best. It is a long hard journey but you will get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Don't worry about being "disrespectful", that's just a ruse she is thgowing out there so you won't bring it up. If you are concerned for her and want to help, you are going to have to have an uncomfortable discussion with her. This is not disrespectful whatsoever. By making you afraid of being "disrespectful", she's stopping you from addressing the topic and she doesn't have to acknowledge it.

From what you've said, your mother is clearly struggling. The promise of one big night out that she can't miss because its already been arranged is nonsense. The fact that she's drinking again despite that shows that she is struggling. She has said she's depressed. Drinking heavily when depressed is a terrible idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

I’d get her into a drying out clinic/home. She will get the support she needs there and will have access to experts in addiction/depression. She sounds like quite a severe alcoholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭jopax

Hi op,
    I do feel for you & how hard it is to watch someone you love start to self destruct. I do agree with other posts on being there & supporting her.
    However I know this sounds harsh but you have to try to not lose yourself in this dilemma. She will get help & change when she decides she wants to.
    You on the other hand are just a bystander & cannot control the situation. If this continues you will need help too, just to keep yourself from getting dragged under too. I'm just talking from my experience so that's all I have to offer.
    On the positive side at least she is acknowledging the problem.
    I wish you all the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Hi Op, I’m really sorry that you’ve seen your mother in this state; that’s a difficult situation to witness. You must be so worried about her, but maybe angry too- I imagine I would be if I were in your shoes.

Your mother and her drinking habits are absolutely not your responsibility. You won’t be able to fix this, no matter how much you love her , it’s truly down to herself. If she has become alcohol dependent, it’s expert care that is required to help now.

I suggest that you protect yourself first and foremost; you’re only 20, starting out in life. Please be very kind to yourself now, your mother’s drinking is already hurting you. It’s not your fault, and while it has become a problem in your life, it is hers to solve.

Al anon or similar agencies can guide you on the best ways to deal with this. Best of luck op, hopefully this will improve soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭klm1

Hi OP,
    I was in your position many years ago, posted on boards, asked friends, wrote to radio stations, all the time ooking for advice on how to deal with my own mum's alcohol issues. Over the next few years, I went through every stage from supportive helpful son to anger and periods of cutting her off as I couldn't deal with it. I later realised that I spent a long time thinking that I could fix this issue, or find someone who could, when I would have been better off remembering that you cannot help someone who doesn't want to be helped and just supporting her.

My advice comes from my own experience, I made the wrong decisions and didn't always act like I should have when I could. A few years have passed and my own mum is no longer with us. I regret not being there more for her when she was fighting her battle with alcohol. From that experience, I would advise you to be there for your mum, be supportive, talk to her about the issues she's having, if she's willing to get help from a professional to discuss those issues then help her find the help she needs. If she's not, remain supportive, the time will come when she is hopefully ready to get that help. Remember that you cannot fix this, you can only help her fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Alcohol is such a bad crutch to deal with depression. Your mother clearly has a problem. She's probably just in a rut. Does she work, does she have a social life, is she involved in the community? She should start by looking for counselling rather than try to drown her sorrows.

I wouldn't put too much focus about that time you found her senseless as errors of judgement surrounding alcohol can happen to anyone from time-to-time. As for drinking vodka because it's lower in calories, it's not a good idea for someone whose used to drinking wine. If she decides to go that route, make sure she's using a measure rather than free-pouring. Try not to have booze in the house, particularly during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Try not to worry as there isnt a whole lot you can do. Its good that she's willing to admit she may have a problem and is willing to do something about it. The fact that she is able to go dry for a few weeks is a positive sign, a fully fledged alcoholic wouldnt be able to just stop like that without getting help. The Christmas period binge may have been the wake up call she needed to keep an eye on her drinking.

Advertisement