Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A slice of ham in the school lunch box, is like sending them to school with 5 fags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Maybe farmers could adapt, think clever rather than post Churchill speeches to suggest an existential threat is posed by eating an evolved diet.

The threat is people spreading misinformation as fact such as the EAT Lancet report. This report is a sham put out by people on the pockets of big business to direct them to eat specific products.

The only evolution involved is the evolution of the population into a species that have no ability to see when they are being manipulated by big commercial interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Are you trying to say a vegan diet is an evolved diet?

The main thing about that diet that in the event of any type of catastrophe, is that they will likely be the first to starve given the absolute dependence on cheap imported foods (often produced with few if any ethical or environmental standards) 'Evolved' my rear end.

We should definitely be eating more vegetables and a wider range too.

Bit not instead of meat, eating more vegetables and a greater diversity of vegetables along with good quality cuts of meat is a super balanced diet.

From reading this thread it just looks like the farmers on here need to get over yourselves, Leo saying he's going to try and limit his consumption of red meat or vegan billboards isn't going to affect the normal Joe soap, people will continue to eat meat, a very tiny minority of vegetarians won't influence meat consumption and never will, maybe if farmers groups and their representatives put their energy into getting fairer deals from the factories and stopping supermarkets selling farmers produce below cost as loss leaders instead of picking battles with the few hundred vegans in the country they'd be better off, but it suits the the ifa and the politicians in their pockets to have the spotlight off the real agendas affecting the farming community

I think the biggest risk is that by beef production being consistently attacked the public opinion is eventually eroded.

We all know that politicians are fickle shallow decision makers and we have little to no representation at a governmental level.

When the joe public already accept beef farming as a “problem” then lazy politics will scapegoat it for carbon emissions rather than say airline travel because it will be an easier sell to punters. Levi those pesky farmers rather than their €10 trip across Europe in a jetliner.

We have to watch the long game here, the public are slowly and surely being turned against farming, the people who produce the food that’s eaten. All too many vested interests are quite happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

gozunda wrote: »
    The main thing about that diet that in the event of any type of catastrophe, is that they will likey be the first to starve given the absolute dependence on cheap imported foods (often produced with few if any ethical or environmental standards) 'Evolved' my rear end.

Yeah, some English man dreamed it up in 1944 and first called it non dairy vegetarian diet. It wasn’t until 1951 that the cult called it a vegan diet.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »

We have to watch the long game here, the public are slowly and surely being turned against farming, the people who produce the food that’s eaten. All too many vested interests are quite happy with that.

I think you are right there. The now discredited 'EAT' 'planetary health diet' (sic) showed the huge amount of money, investment and bs propaganda being pushed by the 'plant based' corporate food industry.

That it was given credence and airtime as genuine research is what makes all whole bolloxology all the more amazing.

Imo there needs to be a lot more holding this stuff up to scrutiny and outing it for what it really is.

That doesn't mean we can't also concentrate on continuing to produce high quality locally produced foodstuffs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I don’t take either side but I can ask what’s the Irish farming community views on less meat?
    Like do they think we all have to change our ways

bigpink wrote: »
    I don’t take either side but I can ask what’s the Irish farming community views on less meat?

The first question I would ask is why is there a 'push' for less meat?

And who is asking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

It most certainly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

gozunda wrote: »

I think you are right there. The now discredited 'EAT' 'planetary health diet' (sic) showed the huge amount of money, investment and bs propaganda being pushed by the 'plant based' corporate food industry.

That it was given credence and airtime as genuine research is what makes all whole bolloxology all the more amazing.

Imo there needs to be a lot more holding this stuff up to scrutiny and outing it for what it really is.

That doesn't mean we can't also concentrate on continuing to produce high quality locally produced foodstuffs.

All research needs to be held up to scrutiny. It's just a pendulum swinging, and meat and dairy producers are on the back foot here. There's been a wall of propoganda to suit their agenda until now.
    I would also mention the anti-Northern Irish milk campaign. Yes, they have different standards and that's relevant. But from an economic point of view, those Irish people answer to a different empire than down here. Here, farmers are in thrall to Europe and are the number one 'fumble in the greasy till' merchants in this quasi Republic.
    Eating vastly less red meat than we do is proven out in longevity statistics worldwide. Do some research.
    This cafuffle is like when Ned O'Keeffe tried to have Babe banned as it would damage pigmeat sales. I wholly agree with ye that this is a propoganda war. But it's always been, ye're just on the receiving end of this debate for once. The Indo is a dirty ragmag and the Examiner is fake news and false leaks. The Irish Times is full of typos.
    It's every man (sentient being) for himself!

I was born on a farm. We need to adapt as the EU empire is in charge of your fate now. It's what ye campaigned for, anti-freedom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

bigpink wrote: »
    Meat is a quality, nutrient dense food containing all the required amino acids for the human diet and the mineral and vitamins in meat would also be ones more available for absorption. There's no need for the majority of the population to be taking food supplements once a balanced omniverous diet is followed. Pregnant women would still be advised to continue taking folic acid supplements.

Then you have issues like the necessity of the elderly needing a higher protein diet to cater for a generally poorer ability to digest as humans age. And you also have those who have illnesses who would also require a more nutrient rich diet than would ever be available to vegan adherents.

Meat would be produced on land that's marginal for grain, legume and vegetable production but is ideal for growing grass due to soil depth, structure, slope, altitude, distance from markets, climate etc etc etc.

That grass, which is grown of land that is best suited to grow grass, converts human inedible food stuffs like grass, lower quality grain crops and byproducts from processing human food into edible, extremely high quality protein rather than turning even more rainforest into grain and soya monocultures.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    All research needs to be held up to scrutiny. It's just a pendulum swinging, and meat and dairy producers are on the back foot here. There's been a wall of propoganda to suit their agenda until now.I would also mention the anti-Northern Irish milk campaign. Yes, they have different standards and that's relevant. But from an economic point of view, those Irish people answer to a different empire than down here. Here, farmers are in thrall to Europe and are the number one 'fumble in the greasy till' merchants in this quasi Republic.Eating vastly less red meat than we do is proven out in longevity statistics worldwide. Do some research.This cafuffle is like when Ned O'Keeffe tried to have Babe banned as it would damage pigmeat sales. I wholly agree with ye that this is a propoganda war. But it's always been, ye're just on the receiving end of this debate for once. The Indo is a dirty ragmag and the Examiner is fake news and false leaks. The Irish Times is full of typos.It's every man (sentient being) for himself!
    I was born on a farm. We need to adapt as the EU empire is in charge of your fate now. It's what ye campaigned for, anti-freedom.

The point is that rubbish does not constitute 'reseach'. The proposed 'diet' has been shown not to even meet normal nutritional guidelines. And yet it was held up as gospel. You'd swear from the propaganda everyone is bathing in meat or something. The truth is good quality meat is a recommended part of a healthy diet. Eating ****e highly processed foods whether vegan or otherwise remains the issue with regards to most western diets. That's the issue here and not whether some plant advocate wants to dictate what the rest of us eat or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

The future is now old man

Beverly Hills, California

The threat is people spreading misinformation as fact such as the EAT Lancet report. This report is a sham put out by people on the pockets of big business to direct them to eat specific products.

The only evolution involved is the evolution of the population into a species that have no ability to see when they are being manipulated by big commercial interests.

So in going to quote myself here in an attempt to make a point.

Was flicking through twitter and reading comments abkut the Davos summet and Attenborough and all the leaders flying round the world to talk to each other rather than video confreres with less impact on the environment.

6-DD29371-C9-DD-4691-802-D-E76-F141-FF5-EB.jpg

Hope that image loads.

Straight off someone said one cow probably produced more emissions than Attenborough’s flight.

Misinformation is an insidious thing, it slowly propagates itself, the more angles it comes from the more firmly rooted it becomes entrained in society. I see a very concerted effort to tarnish farming and farmers as dirty polluting animal abusers.

In my mind specifically to discredit their voices on food and food production so crackpot reports and commercial entities have free reign over food supply and information.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

That's a false equivalence. Nuts have cyanide in them but you wouldn't call them poison

The small amount of toxic compound has not been deliberately injected into nuts to make them "look nice"!...........nor is it common for folks to engorge large quantities of nuts several times a week throughout the year

...........so false equivalence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭emaherx

Chisler2 wrote: »
    The small amount of toxic compound has not been deliberately injected into nuts to make them "look nice"!...........nor is it common for folks to engorge large quantities of nuts several times a week throughout the year

Having a ham sandwich is not quite engorging large quantities.

What matter if it’s natural or added afterwards if it’s toxic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Just for the record I snack on nuts all day at least 5 days a week. Do a lot of people not? The nut section in my local SuperValu seems to have a big throughout of nuts as i’m At the shelf every second day

I think the biggest risk is that by beef production being consistently attacked the public opinion is eventually eroded.

We all know that politicians are fickle shallow decision makers and we have little to no representation at a governmental level.

When the joe public already accept beef farming as a “problem” then lazy politics will scapegoat it for carbon emissions rather than say airline travel because it will be an easier sell to punters. Levi those pesky farmers rather than their €10 trip across Europe in a jetliner.

This is an example of how genuine issues - in this instance processing methods of bacon and ham - escalate into "warring camps".

Nothing in the original research is anti-meat or anti-farmers. The issues surfaced in the research are firstly, that a toxic substance is being deliberately added to healthy produce (ham, bacon) for COSMETIC purposes ("pinkness") and UNETHICAL PROFIT (extended shelf-life). Secondly there is an ESTABLISHED, SCIENTIFICALLY-PROVEN CORRELATION between consumption of the adulterated meat, and colon cancer. Thirdly, that this correlation (which is not equivalent to saying one causes the other) has been (first) SUPPRESSED and (then) denied by the processors.

My "big win" from this thread has been learning about Finnbrogue ham and bacon. My American spouse loves grass-fed Irish meat and his twice-a-week craving for grilled rashers has been of concern to me as I have been aware of the nitrate/nitrite research. We shall continue to enjoy our mixed grill of good food but with the toxin-free Finnbrogue option.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Anyone that quotes the guardian, a piece of agenda driven tripe should be shot with a ball of ...... well you get the gist.

There are a lot of types now in Ireland that have gotten notions of themselves since the likes of Google, Facebook, Amazon, Salesforce, Pfizer, etc came to town for the cheap taxes.

You have morons from representative bodies even let away with statements on current affairs shows that Brexit will not be that bad for Irish exporters because most of OUR exports are not to Britain.
    Of course these people think solely in terms of percentage of total export revenue and that Microsoft, Google, Apple, etc are OURS and not some FDI that could sling it's hook in the morning.

Likewise you have someone equating American feedlot beef production with Irish grass reared beef or come out with carte blanche statements that modern meat products and dairy products are full of drugs.
    And they are often given free reign to continually spout this shyte.

Farming and agri industry is seen as old fashioned and not something the Ireland of the hip and trendy want to be associated with.
    Hence it is easy for them to believe, without a second thought, the cr** that farm animals are a huge cause of our carbon emissions and thus must be culled so to speak.

These same morons will quite happily gulp down some overpriced super food that was shipped half way across the world or not care that their quinoa is coming from an area which has now a threatened ecologically fragile ecosystem.
    Funny how the guardian are quick to argue that soybean farming is not bad for the environment, I wonder has it anything to do with it's tofu chomping writers and readers.
    Of course they will argue most of the production goes to feed animals in say Brazil or US, and then they will lambast our grass fed animals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

This is an example of how genuine issues - in this instance processing methods of bacon and ham - escalate into "warring camps".

Nothing in the original research is anti-meat or anti-farmers. The issues surfaced in the research are firstly, that a toxic substance is being deliberately added to healthy produce (ham, bacon) for COSMETIC purposes ("pinkness") and UNETHICAL PROFIT (extended shelf-life).
    That's your definition of ethics and is in no way correlated with the definition of ethics of society in general. If you consider extending shelf life to be unethical, you need to get out into society and examine the available finance of those that purchase this ham. Reducing shelf life is going to lead to shorter lead times for supplies of food a corresponding rise in food costs for those already struggling to supply adequate food quantities to their families when they are already living hand to mouth as it is.
    Secondly there is an ESTABLISHED, SCIENTIFICALLY-PROVEN CORRELATION between consumption of the adulterated meat, and colon cancer.
    You want to go down this route? Practically everyone knows that processed meats are a poor substitute for fresh produce but the one thing this food isn't is adulterated. The additives are tested and approved based on recommended quantities and there are no regulations on quantities that should be eaten, just recommendations.

Adulterated, the way you are using it, implies unregulated additions. It's regulated and legal though in no way ideal to be consuming in large quantities. This type of proselytising is neither needed nor wanted here.

Thirdly, that this correlation (which is not equivalent to saying one causes the other) has been (first) SUPPRESSED and (then) denied by the processors.

My "big win" from this thread has been learning about Finnbrogue ham and bacon. My American spouse loves grass-fed Irish meat and his twice-a-week craving for grilled rashers has been of concern to me as I have been aware of the nitrate/nitrite research. We shall continue to enjoy our mixed grill of good food but with the toxin-free Finnbrogue option.
    There's a long and messy history of items being universally lauded and later testing finding in to be less than ideal.

In fact, a quick google search will easily lead you down a rabbit hole if you start looking into the effects of common hygiene products and a beautiful, endlessly deep one once you start looking into cosmetics. Indeed, you would be much safer in eating the processed meats you are decrying than applying mixtures of cosmetics and hygiene products.
    But, for some reason, there doesn't appear to be any problem applying products with no testing of interactions, effects on the body or persistence. I wonder why that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Simmental.

Nothing in the original research is anti-meat or anti-farmers. The issues surfaced in the research are firstly, that a toxic substance is being deliberately added to healthy produce (ham, bacon) for COSMETIC purposes ("pinkness") and UNETHICAL PROFIT (extended shelf-life).

The reason sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate are added is because of consumers demand. Most consumers when they by a pork product wont buy a discoloured product and will normally pick the one with the longest shelf life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

O’Neill’s dry cure bacon lads. Taste the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Heard a TV ad today on the Sky box say
    'A bacon medalion is as healthy as an egg"

That can't be right can it?
    It's not bad, but nothing beats an egg for broad nutrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the Redtop tabloids but the Mirror had a piece about the politics/money involved in this scam.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/globe-trotting-billionaire-behind-campaign-13872067

And there is a very interesting piece I read that debunks a lot of the pseudo science used in that report.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/diagnosis-diet/201901/eat-lancets-plant-based-planet-10-things-you-need-know

I really think the Lancet has taken a major downhill step with the publication of this stuff, as said before its not the publication it used to be and people have to learn to read between the lines to see the real picture.

People are now only capable of reading g the 144 characters that exist in a click bait headline now. The between the lines truth is lost on rhem, they’ve read and believed the headline and moved onto the Kardashian’s next exploit already. All the after the fact debunking of these stories is only read and understood by a minority who probably didn’t really beleive the stupid headline anyway.

Humans as a species have become inherently stupid and conditioned to be drop fed articles that commercial enterprises want. In a way many are like battery chickens stacked 10 high in cages. All the technology to access a wealth of information has just made the masses stupider :(
    Totally agree Brian that social media has made people even more superficial and stupid.....
    It's also true that "when you're explaining you're losing".....
    BUT....if the likes of Bord Bia were doing their job right they'd be producing the likes of this: https://youtu.be/BOJdz_LgDBE
    on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Simmental. wrote: »
    The reason sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate are added is because of consumers demand. Most consumers when they by a pork product wont buy a discoloured product and will normally pick the one with the longest shelf life.
    Many years ago when I lived in the Netherlands, we used to go to a butcher just over the border in Belgium who made his own bacon, ham, salami etc. all nitrite free. It looked a quite unappetising grey colour, almost as if it had gone off but tasted just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Simmental.

Alun wrote: »
    We used to go to a butcher just over the border in Belgium who made his own bacon, ham, salami etc. all nitrite free. It looked a quite unappetising grey colour, almost as if it had gone off but tasted just fine.
    Adding them is an extra cost that process would prefer not to add but it helps sell pork making it look more appealing.
    Its the same with beef often packed in a modified atmosphere to maintain it red colour. It would go brown colour without it and not be bought even though its still safe to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Is the truely Irish brand still on the go? They did nice rashers and sausages

Ham and smoking?
    Reminds me of this ...

c73a1d7eb6ba1a55bf389e00c03acced.gif

• Advertisement

Is the truely Irish brand still on the go? They did nice rashers and sausages

I regularly buy Truly Irish brand in Dunnes Stores.

Advertisement