Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VAT reclaim on VAT exempt business?

• 17-01-2019 7:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    If you are a VAT exempt business, can you reclaim VAT back on your purchases?

Google tells me no, which makes sense as otherwise you'd just be reclaiming VAT the whole time from business expenses.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

No. VAT Exempt businesses don’t charge VAT on sales and just pay the VAT included in any purchases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Stratvs wrote: »
    No. VAT Exempt businesses don’t charge VAT on sales and just pay the VAT included in any purchases.

Thanks for the quick response.

So, essentially, there is no advantage of being VAT Exempt, apart from the fact that your service appears more attractive from a price point of view? (The end customers would not be claiming the VAT back, regardless).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

The VAT exempt business will still be passing on, as part of its cost, the VAT it paid included in its purchases. So it’s charge will presumably reflect that.

VAT exempt businesses should not be confused with non VAT registered businesses. Taxis and undertakers for example are VAT exempt. A clothing outlet with turnover under the registration threshold clould be non VAT registered. Both will suffer VAT on their inputs and will not be charging VAT on their outputs but they are not the same.

The type of business will dictate whether it is VAT exempt. It is not a question of any business choosing to be exempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Stratvs wrote: »
    The VAT exempt business will still be passing on, as part of its cost, the VAT it paid included in its purchases. So it’s charge will presumably reflect that.
    I have my prices set for the next year. Currently, i'm happy with my income vs. overheads. I just thought I may have been missing out on something (ie. being able to reclaim VAT, or tell my suppliers to charge me no VAT), but by the sounds of things I have nothing to gain.
    The type of business will dictate whether it is VAT exempt. It is not a question of any business choosing to be exempt.
    I'm well aware of this. According to Revenue, my service (sightseeing) is VAT exempt

Advertisement