Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Form 11 - seperation but can't joint assess

• 15-01-2019 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi all.

Does anyone know how to handle the following situation on a form 11.

Background
    - seperated from wife since july 2018
    - not amicable so wont be able to get her P60 details for 2018 tax return.
    - notified revenue of date of seperation.
    - as the assessable spouse I get to retain married tax credit and bands for full 2018 tax year.
    - on first page of electronic form 11 I must select joint assessment, single assessment oe single treatment.

Problem.
    - can't do joint assessment as I won't be able to get her P60 info
    - single assessment or single treatment dosent allow married credits or bands.

The result is the form 11 is calculating i owe over €4k in tax when it should be €2k because I am entitled to retain the married person tax credits and bands.

I'd really appricate help on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

bumpydogjk wrote: »
    Hi all.

Does anyone know how to handle the following situation on a form 11.

Background
    - seperated from wife since july 2018
    - not amicable so wont be able to get her P60 details for 2018 tax return.
    - notified revenue of date of seperation.
    - as the assessable spouse I get to retain married tax credit and bands for full 2018 tax year.
    - on first page of electronic form 11 I must select joint assessment, single assessment oe single treatment.

Problem.
    - can't do joint assessment as I won't be able to get her P60 info
    - single assessment or single treatment dosent allow married credits or bands.

The result is the form 11 is calculating i owe over €4k in tax when it should be €2k because I am entitled to retain the married person tax credits and bands.

I'd really appricate help on this.

Time to contact Revenue directly with this. A manual return may have to be made if you can't get the details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Time to contact Revenue directly with this. A manual return may have to be made if you can't get the details.

Probably right. As the assessable spouse you will be asessed on the portion of your wifes income up to date of seperation. Revenue will have to manually apportion it and a revenue assessment will issue

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bumpydogjk

Thanks for the reply folks. I was thinking could I do the joint assessment online so I get the credits but leave my wife's earnings blank with 0's?

Doing the return on paper can you manually write in what your tax credits and bands are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Ciaran

If you wait a couple of months, the details should pre-populate into the ROS return once your wife's employer files their P35.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Ciaran wrote: »
    If you wait a couple of months, the details should pre-populate into the ROS return once your wife's employer files their P35.

As Ciaran said, once her only income is from PAYE employment once the P35's have been submitted her income will populate automatically. They are due to be filed 23 February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 bumpydogjk

scheister wrote: »
    As Ciaran said, once her only income is from PAYE employment once the P35's have been submitted her income will populate automatically. They are due to be filed 23 February.

Ive already populated what I can on a new form 11. Would this stop the fields getting populated? Maybe I should delete it?

Advertisement