Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog Teeth

• 13-01-2019 6:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭

Anyone who read other forums here knows we have a dog with cancer, so far she is doing well on the food and tablets(hit and miss tbh) but her mouth is starting to smell badly.

She was going for her dental when the cancer was found and she is too old to try to reintro teeth brushing, I dont want to have to put her down before her time cause she has toothache.

Has anyone used colloidal silver or anything else herbal or the like to help with her teeth?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Bredabe wrote: »
    Anyone who read other forums here knows we have a dog with cancer, so far she is doing well on the food and tablets(hit and miss tbh) but her mouth is starting to smell badly.

She was going for her dental when the cancer was found and she is too old to try to reintro teeth brushing, I dont want to have to put her down before her time cause she has toothache.

Has anyone used colloidal silver or anything else herbal or the like to help with her teeth?

If she has toothache it's a bit late for brushing.

I'm a bit confused, has she bad breath, rotten teeth or both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Bredabe

[PHP][/PHP]
    Hoboo wrote: »
    If she has toothache it's a bit late for brushing.

I'm a bit confused, has she bad breath, rotten teeth or both?
    The smell is coming from her bad teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Does she possibly have rotten teeth that need removing?
    Our elderly dog had bad smelling breath and had 14 teeth removed by the vet. While you'd think that would make a difference to her ability to eat she still copes great with dry dog nuts,and I'm sure having the teeth out has prevented a lot of pain for her.

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    Does she possibly have rotten teeth that need removing?
    Our elderly dog had bad smelling breath and had 14 teeth removed by the vet. While you'd think that would make a difference to her ability to eat she still copes great with dry dog nuts,and I'm sure having the teeth out has prevented a lot of pain for her.
    The cancer means she cant have anaesthetic, so that avenue is closed off, vet has not offered any other options as her expected life span is so short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

So sorry to hear that.
    Maybe detastix,or rub a small bit of clove oil on the gum?
    Your vet should really be advising you though.Rotten teeth are very painful,so possibly pain relief of some sort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

I’m using colloidal silver spray on my guy, as he is 12 & IBD & had a dental 14months ago, vet is reluctant to do more dental work but he has gotten an abscess on the same large tooth twice in six months, so I’m hoping the colloidal silver will prevent a reoccurrence.

coathanger wrote: »
    I’m using colloidal silver spray on my guy, as he is 12 & IBD & had a dental 14months ago, vet is reluctant to do more dental work but he has gotten an abscess on the same large tooth twice in six months, so I’m hoping the colloidal silver will prevent a reoccurrence.

Kind of my thinking as well, how much are you using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We got Hexarinse when Bailey had his first biopsy for his jaw - the chances of the stitches opening were about 99% and sure enough they did so the vet gave me that to squeeze into his mouth and keep infection at bay. He hid under the table because he doesn't like anything squirted into his mouth lol :o so it was no use for us but the vet mentioned she used it for her older dog with hearth problems because the dog wouldn't survive being put under to have it's teeth cleaned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

Having rotten sore teeth can’t be very nice for the dog at all, it can make them feel awful, not to mention painful, add that to cancer and it’s not going to be nice for them, dogs are pretty stoic and will often not show how sick they really are. If it’s not possible to do a dental and her teeth are that bad and she has a short life expectancy then is there a point to prolonging the enevitable? Their time is when we deem it, I’ve seen it so many times people wait until their pet is really sick before making the call. If it were my dog I’d be weighing up quality of life and health over sentimental reasons for keeping oldies going. Personally I’d rather they go before they start to suffer, you’ll never regret putting them down when they’re happy, you will if they suffer, death is nothing to fear it’s part of life. Just my thoughts as I’ve been there so many times with oldies and it is never easy to let them go but it is the kindest thing you can do.

Having rotten sore teeth can’t be very nice for the dog at all, it can make them feel awful, not to mention painful, add that to cancer and it’s not going to be nice for them, dogs are pretty stoic and will often not show how sick they really are. If it’s not possible to do a dental and her teeth are that bad and she has a short life expectancy then is there a point to prolonging the enevitable? Their time is when we deem it, I’ve seen it so many times people wait until their pet is really sick before making the call. If it were my dog I’d be weighing up quality of life and health over sentimental reasons for keeping oldies going. Personally I’d rather they go before they start to suffer, you’ll never regret putting them down when they’re happy, you will if they suffer, death is nothing to fear it’s part of life. Just my thoughts as I’ve been there so many times with oldies and it is never easy to let them go but it is the kindest thing you can do.

I agree, but for now she is fine, up to all her tricks and not in any distress that anyone who could spot it can see. I'm trying to delay any dental issues until the cancer forces us into the inevitable decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

I have a jrt cross with bad teeth, plaque builds up on them very quickly. I have been using dentisept. Its a thick gel paste that you rub on their teeth which is anti-fungal, antiseptic and antibacterial. Its extremely sticky so it definately clings to their teeth.
    Have only been using it since xmas but there is a noticeable difference in her breath after I use it. It supposedly breaks down the plaque after prolonged use.
    You can get it on internet from UK, couldnt find anywhere in Iteland that stocked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Bredabe wrote: »
    Kind of my thinking as well, how much are you using?

I use a couple of sprays on the particular gum after his dinner at nightime.

Advertisement