Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair internal wall plaster

Options
  • 13-01-2019 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Looking for help.
    After taking down wallpaper, dado rail and picture hooks our internal wall looks 'patchy' and uneven. Don't think polyfilla will suffice. We are looking to repaint room.
    Do we need to replaster whole room or is there a thick paint available or any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

put up a pic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

Thats a replaster job

• Registered Users Posts: 14 James1888

Take off the dado rails, there a thing of the past now anyway and alot of other old plaster is going to come away with them. Go around your room with a hammer tapping the wall gently to find where the wall is bosed, and take away all old affected plaster and hardwall. Re-bond all holes and straighten walls where needed, let the bonding go off and then re-bond everything, you might aswell rebound ceiling also when your at it or it will just look old comparing to all your fresh walls. Then come in the next day and re-skim the lot, it's the only way out of it I'm afraid but the room will be like a room in new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,693 ✭✭✭✭listermint

James1888 wrote: »
    Take off the dado rails, there a thing of the past now anyway and alot of other old plaster is going to come away with them. Go around your room with a hammer tapping the wall gently to find where the wall is bosed, and take away all old affected plaster and hardwall. Re-bond all holes and straighten walls where needed, let the bonding go off and then re-bond everything, you might aswell rebound ceiling also when your at it or it will just look old comparing to all your fresh walls. Then come in the next day and re-skim the lot, it's the only way out of it I'm afraid but the room will be like a room in new house.

Rails are making a comeback btw.

And as for commenting on what next steps are we cant until they post a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 James1888

Didn't know they were on the comeback in ire listermint, I'm not long back from Scotland and they had my heart broke, I hate the sight of them especially on old georgian and victorian style buildings with the lathe and plaster background. People would get you in to fix what they think is a crack going from the dado half way up the wall and the minute you tap the wall the majority of it has to come off, and trying to explain these things to people they think your at it. People don't understand the severity of a few cracks and what it entails to fix it, not just hoke away a couple a inchs either side of the crack and stick a bit of bonding and hardwall into it and try and feather it in. But sure look I hope they can get it sorted by someone that won't botch it

• Advertisement
Advertisement