Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What does your watch say about who you are?

Options
  • 11-01-2019 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been talked about before. I’m pretty new here.
    What does your watch say about who you are?
    Does my Casio say that I don’t take myself seriously and I can’t afford a good watch.
    Does my Rolex say I’m a class act or that Im insecure and need to be seen with expensive items. Have I fallen for marketing or am I a gentleman who enjoys the finer things in life.
    Does my micro brand say that I carry a confidence in myself and don’t need a big brand to prove myself.
    Does my Seiko say I’m clever as I got great movement from a quality brand for very little money. Or that I’m an average Joe.
    Would love to hear opinions? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭micks_address

I was in a jewelry shop today getting a link put in a bracelet and was chatting the guy there. We generally agreed that anyone under the age of 25 doesn't care about watches these days so having a watch probably says you are old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I think how your watch is being perceived depends as much on the observer as it does depend on you and the watch itself.

Most people probably don't care and don't know anything about watches. For all the points you raised the observer needs to be into watches at least a little. Me personally I like watches, but I wouldn't notice other peoples watches very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I was in a jewelry shop today getting a link put in a bracelet and was chatting the guy there. We generally agreed that anyone under the age of 25 doesn't care about watches these days so having a watch probably says you are old.

Agreed. We are all glued to our phones these days but the under 25s are nearly borg. What would you need a watch for?

But it will probably make a comeback, like vinyl.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd agree. I know 1 person in my entire life who's slightly interested in watches. No one else gives a rats ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

In the 2 years I've owned my "good" watch only one random person recognised and commented on it, and that was in a builder providers of all places.
    It's not overly common so to the average person it's just a watch and probably doesn't say much about me.

I like that it's understated, I'd imagine if people knew it was nearly 6k they'd just think I was a knob tbf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

milhous wrote:
    I like that it's understated, I'd imagine if people knew it was nearly 6k they'd just think I was a knob tbf

How much?

milhous wrote: »
    In the 2 years I've owned my "good" watch only one random person recognised and commented on it, and that was in a builder providers of all places.
    It's not overly common so to the average person it's just a watch and probably doesn't say much about me.

What watch is it?

What watch is it?

Same as this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

bobbyss wrote: »
    How much?

Knob as much as you think

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

milhous wrote:

That's so much like I think. Ha.
    If I had a rolex(and I had a few ) I did feel like I was trying to impress someone although it was personal reasons for each and not for status as I taught they were special pieces.

• Advertisement

gerfmurphy wrote: »
    That's so much like I think. Ha.
    If I had a rolex(and I had a few ) I did feel like I was trying to impress someone although it was personal reasons for each and not for status as I taught they were special pieces.

When I started looking I thought I was in the market for rolex.. ended up with an omega, I actually get the, is that a rolex question.. and I be like na it's an omega and ppl just look disappointed. Only the oyster perpetual was in my price range and I just thought it was a bit flat for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That I have a collectors infection and I'm weird.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I’m a woman and I wear a Speedmaster Reduced 95% of the time. I have a physics / engineering background,, and I love the Speedmaster for its history, for its aesthetic.

I get quite a few comments on it. A lot of the commentators don’t get the difference, but kudos to those that do. One guy’s comment “I’d love it if my wife wore a decent watch”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

My collection currently says that I need a good service and clean up but still have my classic good looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

If someone has a regular watch, I think fine they've no interest but they need a watch. Although most non watch companies watches (diesel, MK etc) don't appeal to me.

A good watch on an arm marks a person out to me, probably through shared interest. And a good watch can be anything from 500 to 15000.

A fake though, that automatically puts a person in the tossers bin, no questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I don’t care what a watch says about me tbh once I’m wearing something I like that’s the main thing, most people don’t give a toss in Ireland and I spot feck all in the wild, I saw a fella in my local wearing a xxl Cartier tank and while he was talking to me I was just admiring his watch, no idea what he was saying.
    completely different story in the uk and particularly London where it’s all about image 18 year olds wearing tags, Rolex omega and Patek etc all over the place

Agreed. And if some one forms and opinion (positive or negative) then that says more about the persons who is looking perceptions than the persons who’s wearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

I love watches, have a G-Shock, Omega and Tissot.

I find it handy,as you don't have to reach into your pocket for the phone to get the time.

They're a nice accessory, and timeless.
    Excuse the pun

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

bren2002 wrote: »
    A good watch on an arm marks a person out to me, probably through shared interest. And a good watch can be anything from 500 to 15000.

I wouldn't agree with either the upper or lower limits there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

I wouldn't agree with either the upper or lower limits there

Fair enough, I'm probably not too married to them either. Plenty of good watches at 100 and I don't move in circles where I come across too many Pateks.

I'm not wearing watches to impress other people but I did notice a lot of people checking out my steinhart vintage gmt last year when I started wearing first.. I guess saphire glass catches the eye and the size.. I do think watches might becoming a bit of an obsession for me.. before the steinhart for my 40th last year I only had a Fitbit watch on and off and handnt regularly wore a watch.. I got an Armani watch for my 30th which i still have. Bought that based on looks rather than any great knowledge at the time. Worth more sentimentally now. I got the Alpinist before Xmas and the Casio edifice after.. kinda like the idea of having some interesting watches.. not necessarily expensive..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

My watch (like everything else about me) says I’m
    Sensible, practical and I like quality things that last :)

It doesn’t fall into the super expensive category but it’s not cheap either and I think it stands out a little even though it’s not at all flashy/sparkly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

It doesn’t fall into the super expensive category but it’s not cheap either and I think it stands out a little even though it’s not at all flashy/sparkly.
    What is it?

aaakev wrote: »

What is it?
    A skoda?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Had a Longines Conquest GMT myself. It's the only watch I've had that people said "wow" about. RRP EUR1600 iirc, but I paid EUR700 for it (as good as new). Sure looks like a watch worth a few grand. I was trying to trade up towards a Seamaster at the time, so had to let it go

e9db49fa4f46b9a0a523e3f6c640fc04.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

A skoda?

Ha ha the watch equivalent maybe, it’s an Ingersoll Santa Monica automatic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

I think a watch is for the wearer to feel good about having and wearing.
    Not many people would pay any attention to a watch generally, particularly without a recognised brand on it.
    If they do it's usually only how much it cost rather than how special it is.

A skoda?

Ha ha the watch equivalent maybe, it’s an Ingersoll Santa Monica automatic :)
    I see my steinhart a bit like my Octavia... Has good parts and specced up it's very comfortable and looks half decent. It's not an Audi A4 but shares a lot of the components

That's a beautiful logines unkel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

A lot of lads i know would be into watches bit they would be fashon watches. Loads of them wearing Armani Exchange or Michael Kors and thinking they are the ultimate in wrist apparel! The only big names most would know is rolex or maybe Tag

• Advertisement

aaakev wrote: »
    A lot of lads i know would be into watches bit they would be fashon watches. Loads of them wearing Armani Exchange or Michael Kors and thinking they are the ultimate in wrist apparel! The only big names most would know is rolex or maybe Tag
    To be fair it's fashion.. I saw the Armani when I was 30 and thought of the brand and figured ohh the clothes are expensive so that must be good.. wasn't till I started reading about watches and seen my friends seamaster that I got little more knowledgeable.. if I'd known more I'd probably have got a Seiko auto at the time..

Advertisement