Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calving 2019 - Advice and Help thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

Brother had a Sim cow calve there now, 10th bull calf in a row! (For the cow)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

mayota wrote: »
    Brother had a Sim cow calve there now, 10th bull calf in a row! (For the cow)

Odds of 1024/1.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Had a cow calf here last night. Cow was lame for a long time so I had her out when the weather was fine. I knew she was getting a little fat, and was expecting a big calf but he is huge . When I stood him up, he was up to my belt. It just goes to show how important it is to restrict the feed beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

whelan2 wrote: »
    Did anyone ever see the thing the vet had for turning the calf last night? It was about 4 foot long, one end she put the ropes that were attached to the calf's back legs - calf was backwards and upside down - in the other end I put a steel bar and kept turning until the calf turned and wasn't upside down any more. Wonder would it work to turn a calf in a twisted womb?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w1thouALmqY

This is what your after, and yes it’s main purpose is for twists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,838 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Yup that was it, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Small herd here so not used to a lot of calvings on the same day....5 in 20 hours has calving capacity at a max but all bulls and healthy out. Fair play to the lads with big herds and compact calving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I never knew such a thing existed. Have turned a few by hand but it's tough going.

I never knew such a thing existed. Have turned a few by hand but it's tough going.

I never saw it before either. In fairness I wouldn't need it very often but it worked.

I never saw it before either. In fairness I wouldn't need it very often but it worked.

If the cow had a twisted uterus would you go at it yourself, or call the vet?

If the cow had a twisted uterus would you go at it yourself, or call the vet?

Would try myself for a short time, then vet. I know fairly quickly if a calving is beyond me

• Advertisement

Second calf out of the charolais bull yesterday and a black lim cow. Pity about the colour. Calved herself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Second calf out of the charolais bull yesterday and a black lim cow. Pity about the colour. Calved herself though.

Not much wrong with that calf!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Had twins on Sunday night there. Lucky to get the second one out which was the bigger calf. Cow favouring the first born that is a very poor sucker. Such botheration

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

That's a fair calf but I agree about the colour, it's not suited to selling as weanlings and has put me off black coloured cows tbh. He also has the accompanying "catty" type hair which I detest, it usually means they can sense a downpour a hundred miles off and will be standing with a hump under a tree while the rest are out the field grazing. It's very hard to get the job right I know!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Absolute unit. Bull is breeding well anyways. Savage back on him. Thats an especially bad colour though. Still better than a black lim

That's a fair calf but I agree about the colour, it's not suited to selling as weanlings and has put me off black coloured cows tbh. He also has the accompanying "catty" type hair which I detest, it usually means they can sense a downpour a hundred miles off and will be standing with a hump under a tree while the rest are out the field grazing. It's very hard to get the job right I know!!
    Agreed, only have a few black cows. Not ideal for selling weanlings at all.

Absolute unit. Bull is breeding well anyways. Savage back on him. Thats an especially bad colour though. Still better than a black lim

Ya awful power to him for a day old calf. Kinda afraid now though. I gave him to a couple of muscley enough cows and don't think they would put the likes of that fella out. Time will tell I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

a beauty

To me he looks more fleshly than muscley. Too mild a winter and good quality silage doesn't help. He's got some width to him.

• Advertisement

To me he looks more fleshly than muscley. Too mild a winter and good quality silage doesn't help. He's got some width to him.

He's muscley alright, like the bull.

Waiting on vet here again. Have 2 upside down front legs and no head :(

Waiting on vet here again. Have 2 upside down front legs and no head :(

Did ye get to straighten him or had ye to do a section Whelan?

Ye all good. Angus bull calf

Had one just calve there now. Out in a small paddock near the shed. Middle of the day, super quiet cow, bull calf up and sucking on his own. What else could you ask for?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Had one just calve there now. Out in a small paddock near the shed. Middle of the day, super quiet cow, bull calf up and sucking on his own. What else could you ask for?

If only he could tag and dehorn himself.....:D

• Advertisement

Twins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

20 more just like it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

If she could just give birth to a wad of 50 notes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭visatorro

Greyish green solid dung out of 2 week old calves. Is that coccidiosis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

visatorro wrote: »

Coccidiosis cant appear until 20 days old i think, usually blood in watery dark scour with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

visatorro wrote: »
    if it’s solid I wouldn’t be concerned

I was thinking the other day, I spend most of this time of year just looking at calf dung. :D

This lad can be weaned next month :pac: JKS bull. Tested the jack so he did!!

PZl7CLrl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

This lad can be weaned next month :pac: JKS bull. Tested the jack so he did!!

PZl7CLrl.jpg

Jex is it? :)

A bear of a calf she’s some cow to push him out, how many days overdue??

Mooooo wrote: »
    Jex is it? :)

Darn, how did you know! :D
    High bike wrote: »
    A bear of a calf she’s some cow to push him out, how many days overdue??

She wouldn't have done it herself tbh, i knew she was very heavy though so she was watched carefully. Has a handy habit of calving during the day too.
    Due 9th of march so about a fortnight. Cow is 13yrs, lim/sim and british friesian in her.

Darn, how did you know! :D

She wouldn't have done it herself tbh, i knew she was very heavy though so she was watched carefully. Has a handy habit of calving during the day too.
    Due 9th of march so about a fortnight. Cow is 13yrs, lim/sim and british friesian in her.

283 days on 9th of march or 9 months?

283 days on 9th of march or 9 months?

9 months on 9th.

9 months on 9th.

She didnt bring too much time with her so.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭golodge

If only they were all growing like this... 10 days old bull calf out of a small cow.
    DSCF3016.jpg

Waiting for the first heifers to calve with blonde calves. Will be interesting to see how it goes. The first one is on 281st day already. And some charolais calves from cows are on the way too.

• Advertisement

Have this boy born today. 297days gestation. Really was wondering maybe cow hasn't held to AI and we should wait for the calf from the stock bull...
    Bull calf by piedmontese bull, out of 3/4lim cow. Would think he's around 55-60kg.

54369255-434898947255329-6219782702455848960-n.jpg

55912459-405055306990343-4538873128620654592-n.jpg

Average birth weight this season is at 52kg for now.

Do they come out tagged an all��

Do they come out tagged an all��
    I wish they would... Better tag them young when they're born outdoors.

Always did the tagging within 24hrs but didn't do it this year, it's no fun trying to tag a 3 week old calf full of beans.Will be back to the old system next year

Always did the tagging within 24hrs but didn't do it this year, it's no fun trying to tag a 3 week old calf full of beans.Will be back to the old system next year
    Yes... Had a couple calves to tag at ~1-2weeks age last year when taggers had broken. Tried to catch calves when they were sleeping. Not one man work for sure.

Had a heifer calving this morning, she was making no progress and I was at work.

Rang old lad and vet and I swear to god if I could was nearer than 30 miles I'd have done for the vet, he was useless to watch on the camera, no stock skills.
    by the end he opened a gate that nearly let her run out of the shed...
    thankfully she is a super quiet animal

I've had him on 3 calls now and I definitely will be refusing him to take him on another call. other 3 vets are super but this guy is a liability.

calf is fine she just wouldn't do it herself......rant over

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Had a heifer calving this morning, she was making no progress and I was at work.

Rang old lad and vet and I swear to god if I could was nearer than 30 miles I'd have done for the vet, he was useless to watch on the camera, no stock skills.
    by the end he opened a gate that nearly let her run out of the shed...
    thankfully she is a super quiet animal

I've had him on 3 calls now and I definitely will be refusing him to take him on another call. other 3 vets are super but this guy is a liability.

calf is fine she just wouldn't do it herself......rant over

Animal should be restrained properly imo for anybody strange coming into the farm. Animals get super excited with strangers

Heifer was a total lamb with them, she walked every step of the way she was supposed to, totally docile all they had to do was put her into a chute she was isolated and on straw since yesterday.

if she was wild or excited with them then fair enough but she was probably too quiet

Had a cow calf there, her 14th calf. She's 15 years old and calved as a 2 year old. A pet of a cow, small, butty and always pig fat. Would love to know her breeding as I bought her in. Reckon there is AA in there somewhere.
    ICBF have her at €158 Replacement. That's in the top 1%. If you saw her in a mart, you wouldn't give her a second look.

• Advertisement

Had a cow calf there, her 14th calf. She's 15 years old and calved as a 2 year old. A pet of a cow, small, butty and always pig fat. Would love to know her breeding as I bought her in. Reckon there is AA in there somewhere.
    ICBF have her at €158 Replacement. That's in the top 1%. If you saw her in a mart, you wouldn't give her a second look.

Are the calves in the top 33%

Advertisement