Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calving 2019 - Advice and Help thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭squinn2912

The wild one always rears a great calf they say! Only one place for them. But I’d qualify that by saying you need to be careful with them all round calving, some calm well after that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Compact calvings a great idea apparently....
    Honestly have no Idea how dairy men do it. I know I'll be glad in a months time but at the moment poor cows are being whipped in and out of calving pens as another one keeps calving behind them! I like to leave them in there for a couple of days to make sure they bond and are drinking ok. That's gone out the window or out the gate!!
    Have To laugh thou -first cow due was checked every couple of hours....in a week before hand...now they are lucky to get a couple of hours in the pen!! Bulk of its over now thou and it's gone well so far.

L1985 wrote: »
    Compact calvings a great idea apparently....
    Honestly have no Idea how dairy men do it. I know I'll be glad in a months time but at the moment poor cows are being whipped in and out of calving pens as another one keeps calving behind them! I like to leave them in there for a couple of days to make sure they bond and are drinking ok. That's gone out the window or out the gate!!
    Have To laugh thou -first cow due was checked every couple of hours....in a week before hand...now they are lucky to get a couple of hours in the pen!! Bulk of its over now thou and it's gone well so far.

Great early calving! We’ve one calved and she made a five at me through the gate when doing the naval.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,173 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Calved a cow today. A Belgian blue calf bb2083. It's a bull I'll never use again. Monster of a calf. Had to reset Jack 3 times. Head was massive. Big bull calf. She was served 15th of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

whelan2 wrote: »
    Calved a cow today. A Belgian blue calf bb2083. It's a bull I'll never use again. Monster of a calf. Had to reset Jack 3 times. Head was massive. Big bull calf. She was served 15th of May.

He didnt bring too much time with him really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,173 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

He didnt bring too much time with him really.

No but lucky it was a good sized cow. Had one to him 2 weeks ago too and it was a difficult calving too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Had a cow calve outside last night. Perfect conditions. Thought she'd calve during the day, but she didn't oblige. Old cow, 15 years. I locked the dog up before heading out to check her at around 4am. This cat that follows me around appears and drives her nuts. She even tries to go tru a fence to get her. She's a very quiet cow, but it's something I wasn't expecting. And me there with a head light in the dark with her.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭anthony500_1

Had a cow calve outside last night. Perfect conditions. Thought she'd calve during the day, but she didn't oblige. Old cow, 15 years. I locked the dog up before heading out to check her at around 4am. This cat that follows me around appears and drives her nuts. She even tries to go tru a fence to get her. She's a very quiet cow, but it's something I wasn't expecting. And me there with a head light in the dark with her.

It's amazing the smallest thing that can spook them. Some night for a cow to calf out. Perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The headlight can be a target too, all they may see is the light and not you. Went out one night to bring in a calf, only a day old but on the cow for the day, the little fecker was running mad but when I turned on the torch the fecker made a beeline straight for me

6 heifers calved a couple of weeks and 4,
    Cows, just up from pulling a nice red heifer out of a 15 yo Angus cow. Tired but pleased. Poetry conference I. Derry tomorrow morning. Balance is key!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Can a calf pass 2 big black first faeces without successfully taken colostrum? I’ve a big lazy lad her trying to suss him out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,223 ✭✭✭tanko

sonnybill wrote: »
    Can a calf pass 2 big black first faeces without successfully taken colostrum? I’ve a big lazy lad her trying to suss him out

They dont usually do that without having sucked first.
    Have you felt his stomach, does it feel full?

tanko wrote: »
    They dont usually do that without having sucked first.
    Have you felt his stomach, does it feel full?

He big sleepy dopey lad, I will feel his gut again but I’m thinking he got a suck as I went to get supplies! He wouldn’t suck for me at all but I think he tackled the front tit as he won’t suck bottle or not hungry for fake colostrum.. cow not playing ball at all

He big sleepy dopey lad, I will feel his gut again but I’m thinking he got a suck as I went to get supplies! He wouldn’t suck for me at all but I think he tackled the front tit as he won’t suck bottle or not hungry for fake colostrum.. cow not playing ball at all

Can u bring her in. Id tube him to be safe. I wouldnt like to let him die for lack of milk. Hes probably sucked saying that though

She done well to get him out of her in the first place

A bear of a yoke. What bull is he out of

A bear of a yoke. What bull is he out of

Biggest calf I ever had alive, got one freak bigger one time but he didn’t make it!

Cavesland Levi - Pirate and a Cf52 cow

My cow is cottage Devon though, she a great calver, all of her dam sisters etc just pop them, half sister is a BB and calves TVR no prob, this one is 5th calver, carries no time 284 days only and outwintered so strong and fit and she needed it all!

Spat out last two out of Fiston but this lad is bit too hard calved for me

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭anthony500_1

sonnybill wrote:

You sure he was not missing in the rushes for a few weeks. Monster calf, she did very well to get him out on her own

You sure he was not missing in the rushes for a few weeks. Monster calf, she did very well to get him out on her own

I was sitting watching her and she got up and down a few times as she must have thought “what the hell do I have to do to shift this lad?” He frightened me the length of him like a big foal stretched out on the ground

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Nice calf. Top him up with colostrum. He's too nice to lose. Those big, hard calved lads are often dopey on arrival, the extra time and stress of the harder delivery does extract a toll.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

Biggest calf I ever had alive, got one freak bigger one time but he didn’t make it!

Cavesland Levi - Pirate and a Cf52 cow

My cow is cottage Devon though, she a great calver, all of her dam sisters etc just pop them, half sister is a BB and calves TVR no prob, this one is 5th calver, carries no time 284 days only and outwintered so strong and fit and she needed it all!

Spat out last two out of Fiston but this lad is bit too hard calved for me
    284 days is nothing for a calf like that.
    That levi looks a fine bull. Might get the munster man to put a straw of him in a cow or two. Youd want to start keeping heifers off them cows.

Can u bring her in. Id tube him to be safe. I wouldnt like to let him die for lack of milk. Hes probably sucked saying that though

I gave him one of them calf aid or life aid tubes not worth a toss, atbirth tubes by Stockcare are the business but I all out, they seem to have a hunger stimulant that sends them wild to suck, I tubed him to be safe, I got scared and made up 2.0 litre my infant sons milk, 3 eggs, honey and sugar, keep him going til daylight.

Hope it will do him no harm , cow is settling a bit bit still a ball ache , handy sized calf that’d motor away himself would be preferable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,223 ✭✭✭tanko

How is he today?

tanko wrote: »
    How is he today?

Hi Tanko,

What I did last night kept him going and was at vets this am first thing and got that Survivor colostrum product and tubed him again to be safe , vitamin E injection and couple of steroid 12 hours apart.

He still dopey and I not seen him sucking but he is at her , windy here tonight but she moved him a good piece and put him into a great spot

Had some cows near calving in a paddock near the shed last night. Let them into the yard today and noticed one had some cleaning hanging from her. Saw her earlier standing near the ditch but no sign of calving. Thought she was starting to calf but checked the paddock anyway just in case. Spotted a lump of cleaning but no calf. If it wasn't for her white forehead, I wouldnt have seen her. She borrowed right into the ditch. Had to get down low and pull her by the front leg.
    With the constant rain, she was drenched to the skin and shivering. Got her into the shed and dried her with straw and in under the infra-red lamp. God, they're a great job. 10 mins later and she stopped shivering. She wouldnt drink the cow, but I had a feeling she did anyway. Let the cow back in 2 hours later and she went over and drank her. Those limousins are hardy devils.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Had some cows near calving in a paddock near the shed last night. Let them into the yard today and noticed one had some cleaning hanging from her. Saw her earlier standing near the ditch but no sign of calving. Thought she was starting to calf but checked the paddock anyway just in case. Spotted a lump of cleaning but no calf. If it wasn't for her white forehead, I wouldnt have seen her. She borrowed right into the ditch. Had to get down low and pull her pull by the front leg.
    With the constant rain, she was drenched to the skin and shivering. Got her into the shed and dried her with straw and in under the infra-red lamp. God, they're a great job. 10 mins later and she stopped shivering. She wouldnt drink the cow, but I had a feeling she did anyway. Let the cow back in 2 hours later and she went over and drank her. Those limousins are hardy devils.

Only reading your piece now:D, my lady was inside but calved on the slats to Ulsan the saler bull, bull calf up and standing but cold, wiped him down and milked the heifer and got 2l into him, wrapped him up in straw, went back an hour later and he was chasing her. A SalerXLim should be lively too:D

Ya, read your comment in the Chit Chat.:D I didnt mention that I got soaked to the skin and had to go shower and change. Crush is outside so had to hold up calf in the pouring rain. One of those days, as you say. Still all worth it when you see them pull through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Ya, read your comment in the Chit Chat.:D I didnt mention that I got soaked to the skin and had to go shower and change. Crush is outside so had to hold up calf in the pouring rain. One of those days, as you say. Still all worth it when you see them pull through.

:D I’m on my third jacket and 3rd set of gloves this weekend !!!! Thankfully our crush is at the back of shed inside....really is a god send, agree with you though it’s great to see them up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Yes they can - ive seen a calf 10 minutes old, & still laying wet on the ground pass poop.
    Just because they've pooped does not gaurantee they have fed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

This is prob a v v stupid question but sure when has that atoppped me ��.
    Is there something like a food colourant or similar you could put on the cows teats so you would be confident if a calf is drinking or not? Some on the first day or two I wouldn't be fully sure and also if a calf gets sick I'd like to know if their still drinking...I know you can kinda tell by looking at the cows teats but some of ours have massive udders and it would take four calves for them to go down! It would save some time when I'm standing trying to see if the calf is drinking or not.!

Advertisement