Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bird with bright red/orange band on breast

• 06-01-2019 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭

Hi sorry no pic,spotted a bird ,bigger than a black bird, smaller than a crow,on Bandon this morning, mostly black but with a wide red orange band across its breast ,at first I thought it was a jay ,same size ,but different colouring,any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Redstart, Brambling, Masked Shrike? Some of those would be beyond mega though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭corks finest

gzoladz wrote: »
    Googled redstart, nearest to what I saw alright,but a bit bigger I think, stopped to look but never came back,and as it was Sunday morning and a person's garden didn't want to linger in case someone thought I was a looper

White throated redstart AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The white-throated redstart is a species of bird in the family Muscicapidae. It is found in Nepal, Bhutan, central China and far northern areas of Myanmar and Northeast India. Its natural habitat is temperate forests.

Unlikely :D

Double checked,I was incorrect,can't be white throat redstart,way too small,thid guy was similar in size to a jay

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    The white-throated redstart is a species of bird in the family Muscicapidae. It is found in Nepal, Bhutan, central China and far northern areas of Myanmar and Northeast India. Its natural habitat is temperate forests.

Baltimore Oriole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Baltimore Oriole?

Extremely unlikely but if you thought that's what it may be then it was a Redstart.

Baltimore Oriole?

Extremely unlikely but if you thought that's what it may be then it was a Redstart.
    TBH I'm into birdwatching etc , mostly birds of prey,and finches,but I've NEVER came across this one, nearest I saw was a Eurasian bullfinch,this guy was much,much bigger,and longer,not at all blocky,well remains a mystery

Alun wrote: »

The Baltimore Oriole is a rare vagrant to western Europe, and there are a couple of British records of birds wintering near garden feeders, including one in Oxford in December 2003. Perhaps the most remarkable record was one on 7th-8 October 2001, which was very appropriately found in Baltimore, Co. Cork, Ireland, the first record of the species in Ireland.

American Robin? Size and color matches.

• Advertisement

Must have a gander

Bingo,but is this possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Bingo,but is this possible?

They have been recorded here several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭HoteiMarkii

31711671547_1e1793a438_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭OwlEye

OwlEye wrote: »
    Looked at the brambling,na not a chance, thanks

OwlEye wrote: »
    American robin chappie

31711671547_1e1793a438_b.jpg
    Definitely as close as I can remember,, bloody driving me nuts,and I had a phone with me,but by the time I got it set up to snap him he was gone

Definitely as close as I can remember,, bloody driving me nuts,and I had a phone with me,but by the time I got it set up to snap him he was gone

An American Robin would be great, however we should get a picture or another confirmed sighting before reporting.

An American Robin would be great, however we should get a picture or another confirmed sighting before reporting.
    Going back down to Bandon Sunday in the hope of another sight,but its in a person's large garden outskirts of town,I'd be arrested if I hung around

• Advertisement

Good luck finding it, if the sighting is confirmed I can anticipate hordes of people going dow to see it, so the garden owner better be ready :D

Good luck finding it, if the sighting is confirmed I can anticipate hordes of people going dow to see it, so the garden owner better be ready :D
    went back no joy

went back no joy

Thanks for reporting back...that's birding, if it was it had been nice, but we all had a bit of fun, learnt something in the process, etc :)

went back no joy

Thanks for reporting back...that's birding, if it was it had been nice, but we all had a bit of fun, learnt something in the process, etc :)
    Welcome,I'll be down that way in a few weeks again

Advertisement