Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Vinyls and Turntables Please

Options
  • 05-01-2019 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All. My teenage son wanted a record player for Christmas. I know next to nothing about them so did some basic research about what ones to avoid but I was working off a tight budget and was also reluctant to splash out on something he may lose interest in after a while. I ended up buying a 1byone Belt Driven Turntable. I also bought 3 brand new vinyls (modern artists). The problem is it's skipping on all 3 vinyls. As this is a budget turntable there's no option to adjust the tonearm weight or anti skate. I had the turntable replaced and the replacement does the same thing. My question is, can anyone help me decide if I need a refund on the turntable or if the fault lies with the vinyls? How can I tell which is causing the problem? Also, if I return the turntable, any advice on a reliable budget beginners one? It was very disappointing to give my son a faulty Christmas present!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I hate those damn things - for the reasons outlined in your post.
    I want to smash them when I see them in shops.

Bring the vinyls to somebody you know with a half decent player and rule them out to be 100% sure, though I doubt they were the issue if they arrived mint in cellophane. Poor pressings happen but they are rare and lightning doesn't strike 3 times in the same place.

Vinyl is great but I would say there is a minimum spend of €200 to €250 on a turntable sadly. It is money well spent though in the long run. You NEED to have that tonearm weight control and anti-skate.

You should be able to get the money back as the cheap players are 'not fit for purpose'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Smajra

Thanks for your response. I finally found someone with a turntable last week and tried the vinyls and sure enough there was no skipping. In fairness to the seller I was instantly refunded when I requested it. I'm now stuck with the reality of needing to splash out more if we want a decent one which is not great in January!

Advertisement