Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canary seed

Options
  • 05-01-2019 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm lucky enough to have a flock of Gold finches in my back garden as well as Green finches, dunnock, blue and great tits, chaffinches etc.

While I love feeding them, they won't eat the cheap bird food full of wheat and just throw it on the ground. We've been mixing our own feed instead but bags of niger seed, sunflower hearts and linseed are costing me a fortune.

The pet shop has large sacks of Canary seed which is very cheap, if I bought this as a base and then added my extras would this be a safe feed for my garden birds?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Perfectly fine to use canary seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Slightly off topic**
    Thought you could help/ point me in the right direction.

I'm hoping to get my first bird, something small for the apartment.
    Something without a deafening call for my neighbors sake .
    And relatively easy going .

Every other thread I can find relevant is ten years old and constantly redirects to some guy tryna cause the issue of keeping them in a cage. Like

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

IrishLad90 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic**
    Thought you could help/ point me in the right direction.

I'm hoping to get my first bird, something small for the apartment.
    Something without a deafening call for my neighbors sake .
    And relatively easy going .

Every other thread I can find relevant is ten years old and constantly redirects to some guy tryna cause the issue of keeping them in a cage. Like

That enquiry is better suited to the Pet & Animal Issues form - best to start a new thread there.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,167 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Link here for the animal and pets forum in case you have trouble finding it: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=240

Advertisement