Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing and installing interior doors - where to start?

Options
  • 03-01-2019 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

We are looking at changing the internal doors in a house in Dublin that we bought and moved into last year. The house had been done up, with new skirting and some new door frames and doors, but the doors and frames are mainly basic and cheap. Depending on whether we keep one or two, we will be looking for between 5 and 8 new doors, with new handles, and new frames if necessary.

Where do we start? Are there "all-in" suppliers who both sell and hang the doors, or do we have to chose doors and frames from a supplier, then find a person to fit them, then get the measurements, then order them, then get them delivered, then get the fitter to hang them? We would much prefer an "all-in" arrangement through a reputable company, but not sure where to start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Got 7 doors frames architraves fitted in Nov last. Found Barefoot to be best for price after a bit of haggling although always best to shop around.
    They do all in. They use a contractor who will call to do all measurements etc then order doors. About 2/3 week lead in.

You pay barefoot for doors handles etc and the contractor for the work.

Nice range of doors also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I'm looking for doors as well. Doors only
    And am interested in this same topic.

I am looking for 5 shaker doors, 3 with glass 2 without.

Not sure what I should be paying.

There's a huge mark up in the likes of hinges/handles-i have the same problem- measuring etc. Am not able to do that so would prefer supply and fit.

Think the choice of door choices Doris/Deanta and another one called Sedtec(not sure if that's the right name)

anewme wrote: »
    I'm looking for doors as well. Doors only
    And am interested in this same topic.

I am looking for 5 shaker doors, 3 with glass 2 without.

Not sure what I should be paying.

There's a huge mark up in the likes of hinges/handles-i have the same problem- measuring etc. Am not able to do that so would prefer supply and fit.

Think the choice of door choices Doris/Deanta and another one called Sedtec(not sure if that's the right name)

I think it's Seadec? But that's who supplied my doors, I think. I bought off PS Supplies in drogheda (just the doors, mind. Got the other hardware off handleking website, as i liked a handle they had, and the price was reasonable enough).

PS supplies recommended a fitter, who was reasonable in terms of both price, attitude to other work (such as skirting, architrave, etc.) and reliability (actually showing up when he was supposed to, a rarity with certain tradesmen).

There are sites that will price to supply and install pre-hung kits, but I found them expensive and limited in terms of what choices you have in terms of door. I was happy to use a shop that recommended a fitter, and the shop were happy to hold off on delivering my doors until the fitter was ready to actually do the job. (plus PS supplies new year sale seemed like an actual sale, which helped greatly).

Advertisement