Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Favourite

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Yeah, much the same as above. Didn't do it for me. Crude and lacking subtlety. "She stepped on a bunny, she must be a baddie". The intrigue wasn't intriguing, the wit not that witty. The dialog randomly switching from period to contemporary was annoying and lazy. Sets, costumes and Harley are the best things about it.

5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It was entertaining, but not great. No way deserving of the sack full of Oscar nominations.

The strongest point in its favour in awards season, in the current climate, is probably its superficial Strong Roles for Women.

The interest in most almost throughout, whether through the acting, or dialogue style, camerawork, or gratuitous coarseness, was playfulness and subverting of the accepted norms of a period drama.
    The acting was no great shakes from the three at all. It was dangerously close to exposing itself several times, when it almost strayed into a French and Saunders type parody. It was sitcom style. Not real acting at all. Nicholas Hoult was pretty good though.

It looked very well. And the soundtrack in the Bach, Vivaldi snippets were well chosen, but, mein gott in himmel, tock-ping-tock-ping incidental thing was a travesty. I was wondering was it a digital glitch in the sound system for a moment. Dreadful.

The drama misfired. If the change in character, or exposing of them as different to their first presentation of the Weisz and Stone characters was intentional, it was crude, if it wasnt even intended, then it was a shoddy inconsistency. The final scene was a cop out nothing.
    THIS!!!!
    I enjoyed the film a lot more than you but that sound really grated.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Wombatman wrote: »
    Yeah, much the same as above. Didn't do it for me. Crude and lacking subtlety. "She stepped on a bunny, she must be a baddie". The intrigue wasn't intriguing, the wit not that witty. The dialog randomly switching from period to contemporary was annoying and lazy. Sets, costumes and Harley are the best things about it.

5/10

I don't get this accusation of being crude or lacking subtlety.

Why does a film have to be subtle to be good?

As for crudeness. Crudeness is not a new invention, people have always been crude and bad language existed back then too so I do not see why it can' t be used.
    I actually thought the swearing was very apt and the only other crude scene was a sex scene.

Overall I really enjoyed the film,well acted, interesting and funny with plenty to think about afterwards.

I find it fully deserving of its Oscar nominations and expect t to win some too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't get this accusation of being crude or lacking subtlety.

Why does a film have to be subtle to be good?

As for crudeness. Crudeness is not a new invention, people have always been crude and bad language existed back then too so I do not see why it can' t be used.
    I actually thought the swearing was very apt and the only other crude scene was a sex scene.

Overall I really enjoyed the film,well acted, interesting and funny with plenty to think about afterwards.

I find it fully deserving of its Oscar nominations and expect t to win some too.

Different strokes my friend. We don't have to agree when comes to art. I found the film-making crude, not necessarily the content BTW. Tell us what you found so thought provoking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭ThePott

Liked it, didn't love it. Definitely a great performance piece.
    All three leads were great but I feel like the plot lost focus about halfway through and more or less spun it's wheels till the end. I think it worked when it leant into the absurd comedic stuff but it didn't have a sufficient dramatic punch for me to really care all that much about the characters or story.

I really think from the nominees I've seen (only have to see Green Book and Roma now) that it's a really weak year for best picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Went to see this today with high expectations, not because of the awards buzz but because I have thoroughly enjoyed the previous works of Lanthimos.

It seems slightly bizarre to say that the 3 female leads produced performances of the highest caliber yet I still feel it fell flat as a whole. One scene in particular where Colman called a halt to a dance and then it cut to a facial shot of her. The dead hopeless resignation in her eyes was very powerful.

The story just never sprung to life. All the protagonists agenda was clear from the first moment they were on screen. There was no element of surprise or a moment that made me stand up. I was slumped in my seat appreciating the visual beauty of it all but hoping for an arc to jolt me out of my seat. Alas it never came.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Flyingsnowball

I watched it a few weeks ago. Good film, I enjoyed it.

It’s also good to see good quality films with female leads. I think there has been a lot of crap churned out the last few years which the media has called great just because it had a black or female cast.
    This actually is well written and will be enjoyed because it’s well executed and not because it’s well intentioned.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It does make the way Annihilation just came and went seem strange when that's a pretty much all female cast too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I thought Olivia Colman deserved vast recognition for Paddy Considine's 'Tyrannosaur' so glad she's up for an Oscar for this. Found it very entertaining myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I watched it a few weeks ago. Good film, I enjoyed it.

It’s also good to see good quality films with female leads.

Maybe that is part of its problem. It a reasonable film. But the agenda and drive to find movies with female leads is unfairly pounced upon and puffed beyond their real merit. Which can be counterproductive and provoke the opposite reaction, with people asking why the acclaim, that was only meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

"I am rock hard and it is our wedding night!"

Find a better line from this year's Best Picture nominees. Great film, but I much prefer Lanthimos films that are also written by him. I love the way lines are delivered in The Lobster. The Lobster and The Killing of A Sacred Deer are #1 films for 2015 and 2017 for me, The Favourite is probably only Top 20 for 2018. I still hope it wins Best Picture (and wins all the other Oscar nominations it has, with Stone over Weisz for Supporting Actress), but I just like his weirder stuff more.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

"I am rock hard and it is our wedding night!"

Find a better line from this year's Best Picture nominees. Great film, but I much prefer Lanthimos films that are also written by him. I love the way lines are delivered in The Lobster. The Lobster and The Killing of A Sacred Deer are #1 films for 2015 and 2017 for me, The Favourite is probably only Top 20 for 2018. I still hope it wins Best Picture (and wins all the other Oscar nominations it has, with Stone over Weisz for Supporting Actress), but I just like his weirder stuff more.
    I thought the lobster was fantastic, the killing of a sacred deer was an interesting mess though IMO at best. The acting was bizarre and stilted, there wasnt much of a story, Barry Keoghan was creepy as hell but his accent was abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Finally managed to see this during the week in the IFI, and I have to say that I 95% loved it.

Three strong performances from the female leads, plus Nicholas Hoult also. I have a soft spot for Rachel Weisz and I thought she was magnificent in this. A lot of classic themes in the story, but told a little unconventionally. I actually enjoyed the occasional mash-up of contemporary and period.

I didn’t like the ending, I simply don’t feel that it did the characters justice and it seemed to simply give up. And the plink/plunk music got to me at times. It felt like a bad art house score.

Overall though, very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Watched this movie based on Sophie (peep show) winning an Oscar for it. What I loved was the battle and the dynamic between Weisz and Stone, it was masterfully done and those two acted their hearts out. I have a soft spot for political machinations film and this one pressed all the right buttons.

What I dislike is does Sophie deserve an Oscar for that? Hell no. She did so little in the movie. Barely said anything or do any real acting. The other two were far better than her in every way, Weisz in particular.
    Emma Stone wrote:
    Have you come to seduce or rape me? <line> Rape then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Have you come to seduce or rape me? Rape then.

I thought that line suggesting women were blasé or so matter of fact about rape, once upon a time was the most daring line in the movie, and surprised it was accepted in todays censored atmosphere.

Advertisement