Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ND filters for drone

Options
  • 29-12-2018 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

i have a dji 3 advanced drone. should i get nd filters for it? tbh im not even too sure what they are. i have just head them mentioned. when should i use them?

oh, and anyone recommend somewhere to get them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

For video they are a must not so much for photo. An ND filter will allow you to use a slower shutter speed to achieve smoother footage in bright daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

I use polar pro and they are worth the extra cost. No point in putting cheap filters over your lens and degrading the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Homer wrote: »
    I use polar pro and they are worth the extra cost. No point in putting cheap filters over your lens and degrading the quality.

If the OP doesnt know what they do yet he/she is unlikely to see the minute difference between a cheap and expensive filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

i use the neewer set and found em great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

ED E wrote: »
    If the OP doesnt know what they do yet he/she is unlikely to see the minute difference between a cheap and expensive filter.

this is the blunt advice i came her for. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

They are more for video work to reduce the amount of light coming in to get slower shutter speeds, or you can use them for stills to get longer exposure times for motion blur of water etc....

So many people on drone foums take a photo, proess the sh!te out of it, pushing the sliders all the way to 11, then say it looks "good" because they used an ND filter.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have a set of ND Filters for my UAV's but rarely use them.

An ND Filter just cuts down the amount of light that reaches the sensor, a bit like sunglasses. Like sunglasses some can have a tint which changes the colour but the more expensive ones will not.

For Video the ND Filter will slow the Shutter Speed. This means that objects which are moving in the frame will become blurred. When these frames are in a video the blur looks much better than if these objects are sharp. That is why they are used.

I tend to mainly shoot RAW Stills so I prefer not to have the ND Filters on. I do shoot some Video between stills but put up with the results I get. I also often shoot in the darker hours of Dusk and Dawn where the shutter speeds are lower anyway as there is less light.

Below is a Video I shot without ND Filters but in lower light.

Advertisement