Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mosquitoes in December

• 27-12-2018 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

Hi, I moved to a new build in North County Dublin last year and was surprised by a sudden plague of mosquitoes in the winter. I put it down to the digging going on in the site and surrounds. They were gone before long and there were none this summer. Lo and behold they're back. When I let the dog out at night at least 5 or 10 rush in. The dyson sorts them out but I'm wondering why? Seems a strange time to breed! They're not bitey so far :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭corks finest

Grawns wrote: »
    Hi, I moved to a new build in North County Dublin last year and was surprised by a sudden plague of mosquitoes in the winter. I put it down to the digging going on in the site and surrounds. They were gone before long and there were none this summer. Lo and behold they're back. When I let the dog out at night at least 5 or 10 rush in. The dyson sorts them out but I'm wondering why? Seems a strange time to breed! They're not bitey so far :)
    Midges, water around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Midges, water around?

No full grown mosquitoes! Rather large if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You'll get considerable populations of mosquitos in some areas (e.g. Malahide) as long as there is standing water and the weather is relatively mild, as it is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You'll get considerable populations of mosquitos in some areas (e.g. Malahide) as long as there is standing water and the weather is relatively mild, as it is now.

Rememember hearing from someone who lived near the Malahide estuary area - that the Council there have sprayed certain areas to control mosquitos as it is a known problem.

gozunda wrote: »
    Rememember hearing from soneone who lived near the Malahide estuary area - that the Council there have sprayed certain areas to control mosquitos as it is a known problem.

I'm in Skerries. It's the time of year that's confusing me somewhat. We didn't have a problem in the summer or spring! It is very mild and no wind and there's a tiny stream/ gully nearby, 300 metres so I get why they could be active in December. But not why they weren't active in early summer or late summer as soon as the heatwave broke? Weird Xmas bugs?

• Advertisement

I'm in Skerries. It's the time of year that's confusing me somewhat. We didn't have a problem in the summer or spring! It is very mild and no wind and there's a tiny stream/ gully nearby, 300 metres so I get why they could be active in December but why they weren't active in early summer or late summer as soon as the heatwave broke? Weird Xmas bugs?

I would guess the usual egg laying / hatching was prevented by the extreme drought conditions during the summer. The weather atm is very mild and where there are any areas of stagnant water - insects such as mosquiots (which need water to breed) will do so out of normal seasonal patterns

Thanks. Here's a picture just in case it's a baby something. It's about a cm long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Thanks. Here's a picture just in case it's a baby something. It's about a cm long.

That insect in the photo is not a mosquito I can't remember the name of it,it's a member of the crain fly family I believe

ZX7R wrote: »
    That insect in the photo is not a mosquito I can't remember the name of it,it's a member of the crain fly family I believe

I was wondering. Thank you! Mystery on its way to being solved.

I think it could well be one of these lads. Native here

Banded mosquito, Culiseta annulata.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/eye-on-nature-star-shaped-shrooms-and-an-oil-based-mystery-1.3293081

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    I think it could well be one of these lads. Native here

Banded mosquito, Culiseta annulata.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/eye-on-nature-star-shaped-shrooms-and-an-oil-based-mystery-1.3293081
    I'm going to go with the crane fly theory as suddenly lots of crows on the green going after leatherbacks I believe. These mosquito looking yokes don't bite and are dead in a day or so. Not so freaked out now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

I have one (or two) of those fella's in the house too... (Balrothery).
    Do they feed by biting, just like their foreign cousins?

Dow99 wrote: »
    I have one (or two) of those fella's in the house too... (Balrothery).
    Do they feed by biting, just like their foreign cousins?

Nah! They can't bite or feed, just looking for a mate :)

Advertisement