Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for returning ex-pat with kids

Options
  • 03-12-2018 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

We're planning on moving back to Ireland in the next year or two, with two kids, one of whom will be turning 5 just as we arrive. We want to plan ahead so that she can start school right then. Given that
    - We'll be somewhere in Dublin county
    - We're non-religious

do people have any advice for
    - Which schools might be more feasible to get in to (I'm not sure of the state of things now, when I left 10ish years ago there were issues with not at least pretending to be catholic)
    - How far ahead should we be trying to choose a school? Are waiting lists long? ]
    - Can we apply before we live in an area, saying we plan to move there in a year?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Each school sets its own policy, within Dept. Of Ed parameters. You will need to get cracking on sussing out schools asap. Do you want a multi-denominational school or are you happy with a faith school, single sex or co-ed, Irish medium or English medium and you'd need to be looking at feeder schools for secondary too (mad, I know!) Do you even a vague idea what parts of Dublin you might move to?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 s_o_s

Each school sets its own policy, within Dept. Of Ed parameters. You will need to get cracking on sussing out schools asap. Do you want a multi-denominational school or are you happy with a faith school, single sex or co-ed, Irish medium or English medium and you'd need to be looking at feeder schools for secondary too (mad, I know!) Do you even a vague idea what parts of Dublin you might move to?

Wow, so soon? We're thinking potentially D4/6/13/14/15.

Multi-denominational would be ideal, but I survived going to a mixed-sex convent by ignoring everything in religion class and I'm sure my girls could too. It's more about if the school is good and they can get in.

Doing it through English is ideal too, but I'm ambivalent as to whether it's single or mixed sex.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

www.schooldays.ie has lists of all the schools in Ireland by county/district.

Advertisement