Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Irish

Options
  • 28-07-2018 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hi,

Anybody giving advice on RIR? Anyone who may have been in the regiment?

I am from Dublin, catholic and obviously like most of Dubliners was slightly anti Queen and Crown etc. I watched a RIR recruitment advert and it looks like an amazing group of lads.
    Next year I will be joining the RDF for the duration of my college and after that I would like to join RIR however I am unaware about how catholic Irish people like myself are treated in the BA. Im also a bit wary about how I will be treated at home, more than likely called a traitor etc etc.

Is it worth it all to go and join? Do the Irish still REALLY care about the past and people joining the BA?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

You'll likely get far more grief in your own home than you will from the rest of the officers and soldiers in the RIR. You yourself pointed out what you thought were an amazing group. Do you honestly imagine that such a bunch of people are getting treated like piles of sh*te by their fellows who are NOT actually Irish - North or South? And where do you think the majority of the RIR officers and soldiers come from?

https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/corps-regiments-and-units/infantry/royal-irish-regiment/

I have to say that there ARE Irish people who care about the past and about people joining the British Army, but that is THEIR point of view. Whether or not you pay them any attention is entirely up to you.

I put up with it for thirty-three years all but ten days, but then I was never subjected to any kind of 'special treatment' because of my Irishness and Irish name. My namesake, Lieutenant General John Foley, doesn't seem to have had any problems either and did quite well...

Take a look at the RIR Facetwitt page, too - https://www.facebook.com/TheRoyalIrishRegiment/

tac

Advertisement