Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S-Town (from Serial team)

Options
  • 14-03-2017 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,466 ✭✭✭✭

From the team behind Serial and This American Life, they are launching a new podcast on March 28th.
    JOHN DESPISES HIS ALABAMA TOWN AND DECIDES TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. He asks a reporter to investigate the son of a wealthy family who's allegedly been bragging that he got away with murder. But then someone else ends up dead, sparking a nasty feud, a hunt for hidden treasure, and an unearthing of the mysteries of one man's life.

3 minute preview on their website. If you are subscribed to Serial in your podcast client, you should get S-Town automatically.

https://stownpodcast.org/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭steve_r

So they are going back to True crime so maybe that's a reaction to the poor reception recieved by Season 2.

I'll check it out, thanks for the heads up

I checked out the trailer, it's not Sarah Koenig but it sounds very similar to Serial Season 1, short snippets of recorded dialogue, unsolved murder etc.

All the episodes are released in one batch, which I prefer.

I don't really follow True crime podcasts (mainly because I've a lot of podcasts that I listen to regularly) but it appears from this forum that there are now a lot of true crime podcasts out there. It'll be interesting to see how S-Town does against the new competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Thanks for the heads up - i really enjoyed Serial Season 1 but Season 2 not so much so glad to hear it will go back to the original formula!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Preview gave away very little but will definitely give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Why are they not just calling Serial Season 3? Just because Koenig isn't the narrator?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Why are they not just calling Serial Season 3? Just because Koenig isn't the narrator?

Because it's not Serial, this is a different podcast. Serial 3 is still in production.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Because it's not Serial, this is a different podcast. Serial 3 is still in production.

Right so it's a totally separate serialised podcast series about a true crime investigation. Nothing like Serial.

Next there'll be a new podcast brought to you by the producers of This American Life, Serial and S-Town.

Right so it's a totally separate serialised podcast series about a true crime investigation. Nothing like Serial.

Next there'll be a new podcast brought to you by the producers of This American Life, Serial and S-Town.

I agree to a certain extent, but:

• they got such a backlash after season 2 that the safer option is to re-brand this as a "new" show to avoid comparisons with Serial
    • Serial was a story told weekly, this is released all at once - today actually
    But yeah, there's a lot of "If you liked Serial season 1 you'll like this but it's not Serial Season 3 in case you didn't like Serial Season 2".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

It's live now

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GeordieRebel

Have it on in the background while studying so onto the last episode. If you're expecting a Serial Season 1 style murder mystery, you'll be disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I love your man's accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

On Chapter 3 - really enjoying this

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Listened to the first two episodes. It's good so far but feels a little drawn out at times. I suspect the pace will pick up from this point on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,466 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Finished the first one. It's a bit rambling, but I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Just finished the 4th episode. I'm liking it. Aside from the mystery element of it all, John B is just such an interesting, eccentric character that it makes for good listening just hearing from him and about him.

The story itself is starting to pick up now too.

I honestly thought it was fiction at first and it was being voice acted in a studio. I've heard of a Southern drawl but he is something else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Just finished this.

First three/four Chapters are good or great... but it goes seriously downhill after that.

What was the point of making this? Once the original story line wasn't adding up, and after the death in the story, it just felt like the story had to be completed because of the amount of resources the story sucked up.

In the end a very well made and polished podcast but a hugely disappointing story.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Music at the end really gets my back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

ED E wrote: »
    Music at the end really gets my back up.

The Zombies! Love that album

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

The benchmark of podcasting. Amazing stuff. It's hit me like a train...I can't stop thinking about it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

On EP 4
    absolutely loving it.

John B. reminds me of Eugene from TWD.

It is in the back of mind for the last 2 days.

Really interesting

• Advertisement

Just finished this.

First three/four Chapters are good or great... but it goes seriously downhill after that.

What was the point of making this? Once the original story line wasn't adding up, and after the death in the story, it just felt like the story had to be completed because of the amount of resources the story sucked up.

In the end a very well made and polished podcast but a hugely disappointing story.

I completely agree with this. It grabbed my attention in the first 4 episodes but then it went nowhere and ended up essentially being a biography on John B.

Very well made but the story went nowhere. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GeordieRebel

Just finished this.

Yeah that's exactly how I felt about it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Yeeeeeaaaaaap! Yesss suh'!

Just finished it now, really enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I don't know if I liked it or not, it's definitely not what I thought it would be!
    I liked John B.

http://www.vox.com/culture/2017/3/30/15084224/s-town-review-controversial-podcast-privacy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I really enjoyed it. I think it helped that I hadn't read any press before listening so I wasn't expecting true crime, I was just going in blind.

I found it very moving. Yes, it did technically become like a biography but I thought it went beyond that. It was about human nature, the way the mind works, they way we treat each other, regrets in life.

The episode with Orlin (sp?) was a perfect example of a situation I can't relate to in a literal sense but I think we can all appreciate because everyone knows what it's like to regret not taking that chance, wondering what life would be like if things had gone down a different path.

I do think the series was slightly bloated, could have maybe lost an episode or two in terms of time and Reed's vocal quirk of rising the ends of his sentences did grate once or twice but overall, brilliantly made and observed piece of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BackforFPL

It was really a character study in the end.

I found it quite interesting but if you went into it expecting another Serial you'd be sorely disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

BackforFPL wrote: »
    I found it quite interesting but if you went into it expecting another Serial you'd be sorely disappointed.

I didn't expect it but to whip up the mystery in the first 4 episodes only to more or less abandon it for the remainder was a bit of a letdown.

Having said that I enjoyed it for what it was. The strength of the character of John was enough to carry it through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I finished this last night. I thought it was some really well produced radio drama. Then I read he was a real guy and all this actually happened? I'm totally flummoxed.
    I do hate the way they just dropped the investigation aspect of it. It's strange but you could see the producer meeting brick walls in a small town and that mentality.

Really cool series though. Well worth listening to.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I didn't have any expectations but really really enjoyed it. JohnB very interesting character. Wonder how Tyler will finish up

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Just finished this.

Totally agree. It was well made and edited but it felt like poverty-tourism at times.

Advertisement