Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The streets of San Francisco

Options
  • 30-12-2012 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Anyone here ever watch this 1970s detective series starring Karl Malden and Michael Douglas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Yep, Tuesday or Thursday at 9 ish RTE2, good show.

Somewhere around 79 - 82?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

One episode I remember a bit is Mask of Death. It was about a schizophrenic cross-dressing murderer. One particular scene that stuck in my mind was a woman who was questioned by Mike and Steve by her swimming pool, as one of the murderer's victim was at a party given by her the night before. She was also wearing a bikini

Just sharing a memory :-)

I'd say not many people here remember this episode. I saw it in a rerun in the late 80s or early 90s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Once seen an episode with Arnold Schwarzenneger when he was young. Probably wouldn't of watched it if he wasn't in it.

Mark Hamill [of Star Wars fame] also made an appearance

Open to correction here, but I do believe this was the first ever program broadcast on RTE2.

They came on air for about five to six hours every night at 6.00pm, started with a 5 minute news cast of vintage news reel footage of what happened on this day in years gone past (was it called "The March of Time"? Don't remember) and finished with "Newsnight" with Dermot Mullane aroung 11.30 or so. Only place you got to see extensive international news at the time, such as the Soviet war in Afghanistan, the Sandinistas, or the civil war in El Salvador, all of which i remember well at the time but it all being so new as well.

Unfortunately my abiding memory of Dermot Mullane was him telling me John Lennon was murdered :mad:

All of which has nothing to do with the Streets of SF of course (A Quinn Martin Production!) which was a fine show and set me off an a minor nostalgia trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Loved the intro - "The Streets of San Francisco, a Quinn Martin production".

I remember when RTE2 started first, as misterbizmuyh said it was on for hours every night.

Mike used to call Steve "Buddy-boy"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I remember when they reran it on RTE in the late 80's.Leslie Nielson made an appearanc ein one episode and it was strange seeing him in a non comic role.

Anyone remember Mask of Death? Sorry to bring it up again

Also, can the dvds of the series be bought in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Loved that show as a kid - used to watch it growing up in Sydney in the 70s, I had a huge crush on Michael Douglas. Thinking of the theme tune now, and the voice-over "A Quinn Martin Production" it stays with you alright!!! Shame I couldn't learn maths/theorems in the same way at school - i.e. would stay in my memory :D

Last night I had a dream about the scene I mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Marsden wrote: »
    Once seen an episode with Arnold Schwarzenneger when he was young. Probably wouldn't of watched it if he wasn't in it.

I think that was one of his first appearances on TV, many people laughed at him and thought he was a dumb muscle bound brute. But didn't he show them, going on to become the Governor of California. Arnie was one very clever, shrewd business man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I used to watch it on Sky 1 at night when I was in college. I loved the way the show was split into acts. Act I, Act II, Act III and Epilog. And of course, the horrendous title music:D

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

divided into acts then.......epilogue :D

One line I think is is from the scene from mask of Death:

Hurry up Frank, and make me look a bit more decent

Can anyone confirm that?

• Advertisement

I found out what the line was:

"Oh, they're early.
    Hurry up Frank, make me decent.
    Law and order have arrived."

I watched the opening credits of mask of death on Youtube.

The scene of Anne Helm's character by the pool was also uploaded on Youtube. It was shortened though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Anyone watching in 2018?

Such a quality show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

divided into acts then.......epilogue :D

Were many other cop shows still doing that by the mid 70's? It's something I associate with much earlier shows like Perry Mason etc and that would have been largely phased out by the time SOSF aired.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Open to correction here, but I do believe this was the first ever program broadcast on RTE2.

They came on air for about five to six hours every night at 6.00pm, started with a 5 minute news cast of vintage news reel footage of what happened on this day in years gone past (was it called "The March of Time"? Don't remember) and finished with "Newsnight" with Dermot Mullane aroung 11.30 or so. Only place you got to see extensive international news at the time, such as the Soviet war in Afghanistan, the Sandinistas, or the civil war in El Salvador, all of which i remember well at the time but it all being so new as well.

Unfortunately my abiding memory of Dermot Mullane was him telling me John Lennon was murdered :mad:

All of which has nothing to do with the Streets of SF of course (A Quinn Martin Production!) which was a fine show and set me off an a minor nostalgia trip.

The first ever program broadcast was in fact a movie. Bullet with Steve McQueen. I remember it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Loved the theme tune and intro credits. I can’t remember any of the episodes unfortunately. I was in SF earlier this year and I was humming the tune to myself whenever I saw the Bay Bridge or a passing cable car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Loved the theme tune and intro credits. I can’t remember any of the episodes unfortunately. I was in SF earlier this year and I was humming the tune to myself whenever I saw the Bay Bridge or a passing cable car :)

For some reason I remember almost all episodes of ssf, along with canon, kojak, ironside and my personal favourites the Rockford files and hill Street blues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

I remember one episode where the description of some sex offender type fella was given as "he likes tall blonde women in boots". That line stuck in my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Or as my neighbor called it,the streets of Fran Sancisco

Advertisement