Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

how many cigs do customs let you bring through in EU??

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bigbadpat

Marcusm wrote: »
    Why quote so selectively, the most important aspect as pointed out by prior posters is
    "If your purchases are equivalent to or less than the quantities set out in the table below, they will usually be regarded as being for your personal use. If you exceed these quantities, you may have to demonstrate at Customs that the goods are for your personal use. "
    You can bring as much as you want so long as it's for non commercial use - this has been dealt with by the ECJ in a number of cases and they have had to accept that goods brought to give as presents etc, to pay babysitters (!?!) etc are covered by the exemption. I cannot remember the outcome of the one involving someone who was going on a trip and took cash from friends to cover their desires but I believe that was also acceptable provided that there was no profit element.

I have brought back 10,000 Cigs from Slovenia and Customs accepted that they were for personal consumption. I reckon I woild get away with with 20,000 but not a full case full.

Out the way out an organiser of a poker tournament had over €20K in cash and was stopped by UK Customs. It took him some time but he was able to convince UK Customs that it was for a cash prize in a poker tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Dubdoc123

My son and I came through Dublin airport recently with 1,000 cigs each, as we go away once a year,we buy this amount to last us through the long lean months ahead!!! the custom official who we dealt with was the rudest person I have ever met. when asked did we have cigs,we both said yes and stated how many-he then scanned bags,and removed the cigs without uttering one word.He then placed them in a bag and when asked,stated he was confiscating them,we asked why,told him we bought them for our own personal use,showing the receipts,he said he did not have to explain why. He then told us from Canary islands we were only allowed to have 200 cigs each. I honestly thought 800 was an individuals limit,apparently from Canaries as its duty free,this is not the case.How he came to the conclusion they were for commercial use was not explained,no discussion/questions. I felt like a criminal.,which i felt was his intention.Surely some discourse should be entered into in order for an official to use discretion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Unfortunately customs chap was correct in this situation, whilst the Canaries are part is Spain and the EU they are classified as a special zone when it comes to tax and VAT. Your limit is only 200 if you're travelling from a special zone like the Canary Islands, Channel Islands or Isle of Man. If you were travelling from mainland Spain youd have been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Dubdoc123 wrote: »
    Surely some discourse should be entered into in order for an official to use discretion?

Not in this case. The Canaries being outside the EU mean your Duty Free allowance for cigarettes is 200. The onus is on you to know your duty free allowances and the official was well within his/her rights to seize the cigarettes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Unfortunately customs chap was correct in this situation, whilst the Canaries are part is Spain and the EU they are classified as a special zone when it comes to tax and VAT. Your limit is only 200 if you're travelling from a special zone like the Canary Islands, Channel Islands or Isle of Man. If you were travelling from mainland Spain youd have been fine.

I'm curious if the case could be made to allow them through with 200 of the cigs each? Or is this punishment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭quikquest

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I'm curious if the case could be made to allow them through with 200 of the cigs each? Or is this punishment?

No once you go over you allowance of 200 from Canary Island's they confiscate the lot - its the same in the UK. They won't allow you to keep one block :( Its like a punishment to deter you from doing it again.

Also, if you buy say 5 blocks (1000) in Dublin Airport on the way out to the Canaries and then come back say a week later with 3 blocks. They can confiscate them also as no tax has been paid on them. If you ask shops in the Canaries how many can you bring back they will usually tell you as many as you want - this is not the case. You can only bring back as many as you want if buying within the EU (provided you have receipt and the customs officer believes that you are not selling them - the onus is on you prove this)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DaraTobin041

Coming home from lanzaraote in a few days. Have about 6 litres of spirits to bring but only after finding out that only allowed 1 litre. Should I Chance bringing them home or will I definitely be caught.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

a) This is The Smoking Forum.
    b) Smuggling is illegal: don't do it.
    c) Don't resurrect old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement