Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two & Two bars

Options
  • 04-09-2007 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember Two & Two bars. AFAIR they were both plain and milk chocolate with a creamy centre.....Delicious.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Remember the name but not the bar...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Were they made by Urney? Nine squares, in three rows of three, each connected to the next by a rounded chocolate ridge, with a little leprachaun moulded into the top of each square?

No, sorry can't help you there, don't remember them at all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Hagar wrote:
    Were they made by Urney? Nine squares, in three rows of three, each connected to the next by a rounded chocolate ridge, with a little leprachaun moulded into the top of each square?

MMMMmmmmmm! thats them:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Abdiel

Got one once with an earwig in it, never touched them after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Hagar wrote:

Was the wrapper a tasteful blend of orange/cream/brown?

• Advertisement

It BeeMee wrote:
    Was the wrapper a tasteful blend of orange/cream/brown?
    Maybe...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Being a chocoholic I should remember this, but I can't! Around what era was this sold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

kelle wrote:
    Being a chocoholic I should remember this, but I can't! Around what era was this sold?
    If Hagar remembers it it's a long time ago.

Bastaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrd.....

:D

You're right though, I'd say late mid to late 60's.

Well, I remember them so..... I'd say 70's!

Mind you, I can remember Milk Tray bars that no-one else seems to.....

• Advertisement

I remember them. A real luxury. They were moulded in the shapes of the filling in the bar. They strawberry sweet part of the bar was strawberry shaped, the orange creme was round etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Ah the two and two bars, I loved when they were priced at 4p and I'd annoy the shopkeeper by asking how much a two and two bar was just to hear him say four :D

Hagar wrote:
    I remember them. A real luxury. They were moulded in the shapes of the filling in the bar. They strawberry sweet part of the bar was strawberry shaped, the orange creme was round etc.

That's them, there was something like 6 or 8 Milk Tray sweets all joined together with chocolate.... luxury is right, I probably only ever had 2 or three all to myself.

The "modern" Milk Tray don't seem to bother with different coloured filling for the different flavours.....

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

Well now, some nice bumpage here. Almost two years, but, I promise it's worth it.

Prompted by a thread on a forum I frequent, entitled 'Old sweets from when you were a kid' my first thoughts went not to sweets, as such, but an old favourite from my youth... a Two & Two bar. Just for a lark, I decided I'd see what, if anything, Google would come up with. And top of the list was this thread. The nostalgia I felt reading here was incredible. Many times I've thought of the Two & Two bar, and wondered if anyone else remember them as fondly as I did. Like Kelle, I too am a chocaholic. And one with a long memory.

I'd no recollection who made them, and then I saw the magic name of Urney's. This nearly brought me to tears, as many many moons ago, my dear departed Dad used to work there for a short time. I remember one night I nearly died and went to Heaven when he brought home a load of 'seconds' and mis-shapes that couldn't be packaged and sold. Among tese were some orange cream bars which were another favourite back then.

So back to Google again, and I searched for Urney's Two & Two, and lo and behold, I got the following link, which brought further joy, with the news that there is a plan to produce these again.

I'll be like the 4 year old I once was when I first discovered them in 1971, when some days my Ma would buy me one on the way to school, until Urney's went out of business, maybe 3-4 years later. But now, once again I wait with excited anticipation for what will hopefully be a taste of my early childhood. Hagar described them above as... "Nine squares, in three rows of three, each connected to the next by a rounded chocolate ridge" Well, being a kid, I used to think of them as a tunnel joining each one. Much more exciting and imaginative to a young boy! Not that ridge was in my vocabulary then!

http://www.urneychocolates.com/index.htm

Welcome to L.C. Confectionery Ltd. My name is Leo Cummins and I would like to introduce you to our range of chocolate and sugar confectionery products which are featured in the links to the right.

Developing new products and packaging takes time, and so over 35 years since last produced we are proud to reintroduce to the marketplace the famous Cleeves Slab Toffee.

Irish distribution is via Robert Roberts Ltd and we will be actively seeking to reintroduce the product to international markets in 2009.

We have also appointed Robert Roberts Ltd as our exclusive distributors in Ireland for our renowned Wilton Macaroon Bars and we look forward to seeing them enjoy wider distribution in the years ahead as people constantly say to us that they haven't seen Macaroon Bars in years !

Retro brands are in they say, so we look forward to proving them right through 2009 as we introduce old favourites such as Klipso, Two and Two, Rovals, Urney Chocolate Bars and Hadji Bey's Turkish Delight.

Brings a tear to my eye.

Now, while we're reminiscing... Does anyone remember a HB ice cream called Kilimanjaro? The nearest thing I can compare it to would be a solero, in that it was ice cream with an ice pop outer shell. But the taste was much different. Heavenly! It would have been out around 1778-82 or thereabouts, but probably not that long, as it was only available for a relatively short time. I was gutted when I went into a shop one day to buy one, to be told they were out of stock and they wouldn't be getting them in again! :eek: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I vaguely remember the Two & Two bars. My parents had a family friend who owned a shop. He always used to bring up one of those bars for me when he came to visit. I've not had one since I was knee high to a grasshopper - hopefully they carry out on their threat to bring them back!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The Kilamanjaro was a handsome lolly while it lasted. Fleeting little beauty that in my memory either was pulled from sales or some exec morphed it into the Hiawatta. The Hiawatta: top notch on a stick. But it was no Kilamanjaro.
    It was a kinda grown up lolly, a dapper dan of stick confectionary. The kinda lolly you'd want to be seen licking on as you pulled up/broke down in a x1.9 or Renault Fuego. It's something the young Royal Liver book man would treat himself to on a Friday.
    Draculas for the nippers, Kilamanjaros for those with jobs.

Not unlike the Two and Two bar in it's position on the social scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 luke101

here is the kilimanjaro 7343718847a11342288981o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Yeah I remember Cleves Two and Two. They must've been out before and discontinued 'cos when they came out in the early eighties the ad on tv said 'your old friend two and two is back!' I remember the little leprechaun with the fishing rod on each square. The side with the squares was dark or plain choc and the flat back part was milk choc. The inside was two different fondant, beige and cream coloured. Similar to the diamond shaped sweet that used to be in Black Magic (they don't have that one anymore sadly).
    I have happy memories of summers in my Granny's when Kilimanjaros were out. They were lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Ah yeah, remember 2 and 2 bars.

My Dad worked in Urney and we had endless supply of 2 and 2, beanos, rovals (kind of like toffo) mint rovals, CATCH bars plain and milk, and all of the mis shapes too.

The guys used to get their allocation of sweets and swop with the staff of Jacobs who were across the road.....so we had an endless supply of sweets and buscuits.....wonder why all the kids wanted to be our friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Two and Two bars were my favourite.

My father used to bring a couple home from the golf club every Sunday night. The last time I had one was probably 1982 or 1983.

There was a fairly violent television advert for them - some guy smashing tables in a pub. Anyone remember that?

Great news that they're being relauched.

• Advertisement

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Two and Two bars were my favourite.

My father used to bring a couple home from the golf club every Sunday night. The last time I had one was probably 1982 or 1983.

There was a fairly violent television advert for them - some guy smashing tables in a pub. Anyone remember that?

Great news that they're being relauched.

Are they really being relaunched?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Two & Two Bars. Oh God the wonderful memories. Does anyone remember the Fruit Cocktail bar? It was the same shape and size as the Two & Two but I think it was dark chocolate with an orange and strawberry and I think lime filling. It was in a dark brown wrapper. It was indeed a beautiful thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I don't think I remember these but this thread has made me very interested in trying them if they do come back!

leincar wrote: »
    Two & Two Bars. Oh God the wonderful memories. Does anyone remember the Fruit Cocktail bar? It was the same shape and size as the Two & Two but I think it was dark chocolate with an orange and strawberry and I think lime filling. It was in a dark brown wrapper. It was indeed a beautiful thing.

I remember 3 bars the same size and shape with similar wrapper as 2&2..one was mint, one orange and one strawberry. Were they the bars you're talking about?

Ann22 wrote: »
    Are they really being relaunched?:)

it's mentioned in the site linked by danored

Sorry, dunno how I didn't absorb that. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Prairie Bars ! ???

Looks like they'll be back in 2012.

2and2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Any sign of these yet??

• Advertisement

eamonnq wrote: »
    Any sign of these yet??

I've just emailed them to ask. I didn't realise that the factory is about 15 minutes walk away...

Advertisement