Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copenhagen for the weekend

Options
  • 22-01-2019 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi there folks, so I’m considering a weekend in Copenhagen, maybe the current ads starring Mads Mikkelson have swing me who knows, or the Hygge lifestyle is attaracting me!!
    Basically I’m wondering is Copenhagen a good city for a couple(in July), we’d be happy to stroll around, can anyone fill me in on how much a night out would cost...for example average cost of a pint and your average dinner price. Thanks in advance for reading my ramblings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Hi there folks, so I’m considering a weekend in Copenhagen, maybe the current ads starring Mads Mikkelson have swing me who knows, or the Hygge lifestyle is attaracting me!!
    Basically I’m wondering is Copenhagen a good city for a couple(in July), we’d be happy to stroll around, can anyone fill me in on how much a night out would cost...for example average cost of a pint and your average dinner price. Thanks in advance for reading my ramblings.

Great city, expensive as fook... been once with the family, once with the lads for the play off game, going again with the lads for the next game in June. Accomodation, food and booze aren't cheap. But well worth a visit, great place to hire a bike and cycle around. Carlsberg museum is worth a visit.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Was there with the girlfriend a few years ago. It's a nice place and nice to walk around. We went to the Little Mermaid, Nyhavn (very pricey for food and drinks though), Tivoli gardens and the Carlsberg brewery. Drink can be expensive. One night we had 4 or 5 cocktails each after dinner and they were the bones of €200. That was the drinks budget well blown. The next evening we just went to the cinema (many movies were shown in English). The cinema by Tivoli Gardens was one of fanciest cinemas I've ever seen. The cinema was an old theatre and still had the marble staircases and chandeliers. Nearly felt I should have been in a tuxedo! You can also take a side trip to Malmo in Sweden. You can get the train there via the Øresund Bridge. Takes about 30 minutes to get there if I remember right.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Self catering is cheap compared to eating out, possibly cheaper than here, including booze. Bit pointless to go somewhere else just to cook and drink in a different flat of course but something to consider

• Registered Users Posts: 24,857 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

City is lovely as are the people, very walkable. Drink is mega expensive both hotels and bars. Food I found reasonable but not cheap per say. The train trip over the Oersund to Malmo is a nice day trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

Start saving now. :P

Plenty to see and do. Take a train ride to Malmö in Sweden, about 30 mins or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

So the best recommendation for a weekend in Denmark is to spend half of it in Sweden it seems.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭ted1

We did a Thursday to Tuesday with a split between Malmo and Copenhagen. Highly recommend it. Two different places with two different currencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I enjoyed the boat tour, several Companies depart from Nyhavn.
    If you plan to visit museums, check out the Copenhagen Card beforehand, as there are some savings with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

It's almost 20 years since I spent 5 or 6 days in Copenhagen so I couldn't advise you about prices for example. I was there end of April to start of May. The April bit was awfully cold but May was tolerable.
    Yes, a trip across the bridge to Malmo, a nice city, is a must. I also visited Lund, a very old university city but wasn't overwhelmed by it, maybe because it was the coldest day we had.
    For me the highlight was the ship museum in the small city of Roskilde, about 20-30 minutes by train from Copenhagen. It had two sections, one consisting of 5 or 6 viking ships taken up from the bottom of the harbour and preserved, and a second section consisting of half the stuff from Wood Quay in Dublin, fascinating stuff which seems to be on more or less permanent loan to Roskilde. At least I haven't heard that it has come back and I wonder why. It could do for Dublin what the Louvre does for Paris or the Sistine Chapel for Rome,
    TheTivoli Gardens were so so, great if you had kids maybe. Every morsel of food I ate was top class but pricey. Ditto drink. Sweden was a little cheaper, but as I say that was a long time ago. They make a big fuss about the Little Mermaid. It's tiny, and to paraphrase Dr. Johnson, worth seeing but not worth a Ryanair flight to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I really like Copenhagen. It's the kind of city that, without being specific because I can't, just has a feeling about it that I love. I had a hotel just off Nyhavn, so I spent a fair bit of time around here and Kongens Nytorv (there was a huge outdoor photo exhibition in the square while I was there)

Yes it's an expensive city, but it is one I'd really recommend, even to just wander around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement