Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Doorbells and/or Video Camera

Options
  • 18-01-2019 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for some recommendations/advice on smart doorbells and cameras. I have Alexa throughout my house and also a Hive hub. I want to get a smart doorbell and/or an external camera for the front door. Would you recommend both or would just one suffice? I know it's often down to personal preference.

Also, any recommendations of which would best suit my current setup? I'd prefer ones where you don't have to pay monthly/annual subscriptions.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ring would probably be the obvious option (they have a few different ones) for someone in the Alexa ecosystem (Amazon own Ring now). Though I think you need a sub to get the most out of it.

Ideally both a video doorbell and a camera is ideal.

Camera high up, so it can't be tampered with and over looks your whole front garden, while being obvious and thus a visual deterrent. Video doorbell then is less obvious, but easier for you to talk to a honest caller at your door, then it is through a high up camera. Also more likely to catch someones face *

Of course you can get away with just one if money is tight. Perhaps even just a video doorbell along with a cheap dummy camera as a visual deterrent.

* I saw a very interesting video online of two guys stealing a Tesla with a computer. A high up camera doesn't catch their faces as they are wearing baseball hats, but they miss the video doorbell that catches their faces straight on during the theft. All very interesting video given all the tech involved and sophisticated thieves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odG2GX4_cUQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

bk wrote: »
    Ring would probably be the obvious option (they have a few different ones) for someone in the Alexa ecosystem (Amazon own Ring now). Though I think you need a sub to get the most out of it.

Ideally both a video doorbell and a camera is ideal.

Camera high up, so it can't be tampered with and over looks your whole front garden, while being obvious and thus a visual deterrent. Video doorbell then is less obvious, but easier for you to talk to a honest caller at your door, then it is through a high up camera. Also more likely to catch someones face *

Of course you can get away with just one if money is tight. Perhaps even just a video doorbell along with a cheap dummy camera as a visual deterrent.

* I saw a very interesting video online of two guys stealing a Tesla with a computer. A high up camera doesn't catch their faces as they are wearing baseball hats, but they miss the video doorbell that catches their faces straight on during the theft. All very interesting video given all the tech involved and sophisticated thieves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odG2GX4_cUQ

What's the answer to that, key in a lead box?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

THE ALM wrote: »
    What's the answer to that, key in a lead box?

For the Tesla it is enabling the feature that you have to enter a PIN on the touch screen before you can start the car. That feature was present on that car, but was not enabled.

What is really silly is that this Tesla even had the feature that you could remotely track and disable the car. But these thieves know that and they disabled those features from the touch screen before driving off. The stupid bit being that you could make a major change like that to the settings without first entering a PIN!

After this video, Tesla changed it so that you always have to enter the PIN first to disable these features, even if you don't have the enter PIN to drive feature turned on (which they now recommend, but not require).

It is interesting as it shows how even the most advanced car in the world can be stolen. But also how enabling some of the security features on the car might have stopped it.

For non Tesla cars, if they don't have a similar PIN to drive feature, then yes, some sort of Faraday cage for your keys is a good idea:

https://makezine.com/2015/08/14/block-car-door-relay-hack-faraday-cage/

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I got some "IPTV Baby monitor" cameras off eBay. About €20 each from China. I bought 4, and ran them over a separate network (this was just a repeater off my main network). I have them all looking out top floor wondows. Had a 10 year old netbook gathering dust and too old to be used for anything at all. I also have a log cabin out my back that is connected with the cameras also, using home plugs.

Downloaded the app onto the netbook and now I have a €80 security camera setup that records locally. I also put SD cards into the cameras so i can remotely view each camera aswell.

The SD recording is set to record motion, while the laptop records all the cameras 24 hours a day. On top of this, I have a separate premises, I added 2 cameras to that also, so have 8 cameras all setup. (Those 2 are running over a MBB hub).

So right now, I can view any of the 8 cameras on my phone, have them recording 24 hours a day and using an old netbook that was for for the skip, all for €160 (not including the netbook as the cost of ownership was already used).

My next purchase will be the Ring doorbell however, as I'd like something lower down that also acts as a doorbell.

If you're interested, I can try get the link to the cameras (been over a year since I purchased them so will need to dig!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

antodeco wrote: »
    I got some "IPTV Baby monitor" cameras off eBay. About €20 each from China. I bought 4, and ran them over a separate network (this was just a repeater off my main network). I have them all looking out top floor wondows. Had a 10 year old netbook gathering dust and too old to be used for anything at all. I also have a log cabin out my back that is connected with the cameras also, using home plugs.

Downloaded the app onto the netbook and now I have a €80 security camera setup that records locally. I also put SD cards into the cameras so i can remotely view each camera aswell.

The SD recording is set to record motion, while the laptop records all the cameras 24 hours a day. On top of this, I have a separate premises, I added 2 cameras to that also, so have 8 cameras all setup. (Those 2 are running over a MBB hub).

So right now, I can view any of the 8 cameras on my phone, have them recording 24 hours a day and using an old netbook that was for for the skip, all for €160 (not including the netbook as the cost of ownership was already used).

My next purchase will be the Ring doorbell however, as I'd like something lower down that also acts as a doorbell.

If you're interested, I can try get the link to the cameras (been over a year since I purchased them so will need to dig!)

Would be be more cost effective to run the system of a rasoerry pi rather than an old PC ? Less power consumption etc ?

• Advertisement

Would be be more cost effective to run the system of a rasoerry pi rather than an old PC ? Less power consumption etc ?

I had thought of that. I chose the laptop as there was literally no other use for it. When it dies, I will make the move i'd say. Plus, I have a flat rate electricity bill so can use as much as I want! (Sorry environment!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

antodeco wrote: »
    I had thought of that. I chose the laptop as there was literally no other use for it. When it dies, I will make the move i'd say. Plus, I have a flat rate electricity bill so can use as much as I want! (Sorry environment!)

Ooh, how do you get flat rate electricity ?

Ooh, how do you get flat rate electricity ?

PM sent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

antodeco wrote:
    PM sent!

I want to know as well please.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

Would like to know also please.

• Advertisement

I'm signed up with Justenergy.ie

Different plans depending on how much electricity you use. With them a year for "unlimited" electricity and gas. Few threads on boards about them!

I've no affiliation with them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I have a Ring Pro installed.

The house is also amazon’d from top to bottom but I wasn’t looking for something to integrate with that when looking for a doorbell.

There’s not much to say about it really, other then it works perfectly and is a great IoT addition.

I think it’s about €3 a month to store and have access to the recordings so may or may not be a dealbreaker.

I did a lot of research before buying and everything kept bringing me back to Ring so I just paid the premium and went with them in the end.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Rennaws wrote: »
    I have a Ring Pro installed.

The house is also amazon’d from top to bottom but I wasn’t looking for something to integrate with that when looking for a doorbell.

I have my house Googled from top to bottom with a Ring doorbell and I'm considering selling and buying Nest as the Ring is badly lacking features with the Google ecosystem. No Android TV support, no casting and no displaying video or ring notifications on my Google hub display.
    I looked into it again the other day to see if support had improved and discovered that I could say ok Google ask Ring to enable motion detection which turned motion detection on in the app on my phone :(

I have my house Googled from top to bottom with a Ring doorbell and I'm considering selling and buying Nest as the Ring is badly lacking features with the Google ecosystem. No Android TV support, no casting and no displaying video or ring notifications on my Google hub display.
    I looked into it again the other day to see if support had improved and discovered that I could say ok Google ask Ring to enable motion detection which turned motion detection on in the app on my phone :(

Yes, it is a really pity that Amazon bought Ring. Not a good day for wide integration.

Nest doorbell does seem like a great alternative, but subs a bit expensive and they need to build out the range of devices with a battery option, peep hole option, etc. like Ring has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I had the Ring doorbell before I got the Mini/Home Hub, and I would have considered swithcing to Nest, but the Ring Floodlight Cam has no Nest version.

I had the Ring doorbell before I got the Mini/Home Hub, and I would have considered swithcing to Nest, but the Ring Floodlight Cam has no Nest version.

You could just use the Nest outdoor camera in conjunction with just a standard floodlight. Would end up much the same thing.

Standard floodlight triggers on movement and then the nest camera records the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭dam099

bk wrote: »
    Yes, it is a really pity that Amazon bought Ring. Not a good day for wide integration.

Not a great day for narrow integration either. I have the original Ring doorbell and Alexa support is flaky at best, announcements on Echo devices only came to UK a few weeks ago and doesnt seem to be working for Ireland (although it did briefly work for me the first day I saw the settings in the app). Cant get it to display on Fire TV either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Anyone have the indoor cams from Ring?

One of the things about the doorbell and spotlight that I don't like is that I can't turn off recording at any point. if I'm in and out of the back garden with the puppy there is a recording of everything. I wouldn't mind having a security cam in the sitting room and kitchen for when we are away, but if I install and mount them and it records every time I walk into a room, move on the couch, each time the puppy gets bored and moves.

Does it have any notion of not recording build into it's very of the app? It would be super handy to have all camera's in one app, but if I can't stop it recording every single motion. I don't want a recording of every day pottering around. Only when I'm out that I can have it record on motion.

Similar with the Ring motion detection light on the floodlight. It seems to turn on randomly with nothing outside. I wouldn't mind being able to tell the light motion detection, hey you're off until I turn you back on.

I wouldn't mind having a security cam in the sitting room and kitchen for when we are away, but if I install and mount them and it records every time I walk into a room, move on the couch, each time the puppy gets bored and moves.

I don't have Ring, but I solved this problem for my indoor IP cams (Logitech Circle 2 and Yi cameras) by simply powering them from a smart plug.

I can then just say "Hey Google, turn on plug X" to turn on the camera and to have it start recording and sending notifications and I can say "Hey Google, turn off plug x" to turn off the camera, for privacy.

I've then add these to my routines:
    "Hey Google, Good night": Turns on cameras, turns on alarm, turns lights off, etc.
    "HG, Good morning": Turns off cameras, alarm, etc.
    "HG, I'm leaving": Turn on cameras, alarm, etc.
    "HG, I'm home": Turns off cameras, etc.

Basically means that the cameras are only running when we are out or upstairs at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

This looks very interesting and well priced

https://zatznotfunny.com/2019-06/eufy-video-doorbell-review/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

I have a follow on query here:
    I have ok download speed but rubbish upload.

I have an Amazon Show on the way and would like to set up security cameras and a baby monitor camera.

If I view them on the Amazon Show within the wifi network, would my terrible upload speed matter? As in, would the signal need to be uploaded and downloaded again, or could it be viewed within the wifi network?

Advertisement