Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where can I buy a Google Home Hub?

Options
  • 21-01-2019 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭

Maybe I'm an idiot, bit cant find it online for the life of me. Is it not launched officially over here yet? Where did you lot buy yours. Even promising Amazon Google Home Hub links are just to pages and pages of Alexa products or Home Hub frames.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Calibos wrote: »
    Maybe I'm an idiot, bit cant find it online for the life of me. Is it not launched officially over here yet? Where did you lot buy yours. Even promising Amazon Google Home Hub links are just to pages and pages of Alexa products or Home Hub frames.

It's not officially launched here which is why you're having trouble finding it online here. Most of us would have bought it either from the Google UK Store or their eBay page and then used a service like Parcel Motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Any word on an official irish launch? How much did you guys pay incl shipping?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Calibos wrote: »
    Any word on an official irish launch? How much did you guys pay incl shipping?

No news yet and they were on sale for £99 before Christmas, so probably about €110 all in or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

I read on a thread somewhere here that Dixons in the airport were selling them for 159 Eur. As i assume that Dixons Travel are also under the Carphone Warehouse umbrella with Currys/Pcworld, its irritating that the non airport shops are not selling the Home Hub. The store in Carrickmines has them in a locker near the front of the shop but they are not officially for sale, and are priced at just over 1k. Surely they are either licensed for Ireland or not ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I got mine on John Lewis using Parcel Wizard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

If you fancied a spin up to Newry, Argos has them for the same price as the Google UK store. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8676041

Google's hardware division really baffles me, once had to buy a nexus 5 from them, through the UK store, had to VPN in, ship to Parcel Motel, received the package, Sender: Google Ireland, Barrow street, Dublin :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If you fancied a spin up to Newry, Argos has them for the same price as the Google UK store. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8676041

Google's hardware division really baffles me, once had to buy a nexus 5 from them, through the UK store, had to VPN in, ship to Parcel Motel, received the package, Sender: Google Ireland, Barrow street, Dublin :mad:

The they just use that address for the cheap tax.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

baffles the wrong word, irritates would have been better. Fully aware what they use that address for :)

On the Oculus Rift VR forums I had to explain to people that No, their amazing new VR headsets were not built and shipped from Oculus LLC Ireland, which was printed on their Headsets and on their invoices. The sale was just 'booked' in Ireland for Tax purposes (Facebook own Oculus).

Ironically enough, I remember one Dutch lad asking on the forums how long his shiny new Oculus Rift would take to ship from Ireland to his home in Eindhoven in the Netherlands. I told him to 'Get on Yer Bike Lad!!'.....cause the European Distribution centre for Oculus Ireland LLC was actually in......Eindhoven in the Netherlands! :D

Think I'll set up a camelcamel price watch thingey for the Home Hub in that case as I don't need it straight away. Not until I can afford a Nest Hello Doorbell camera thingey anyway. Jaysus those things are pricey!! Speaking of which, if you don't need the 24 hour monitoring/motion sensing cloud recording stuff that seems to require a subscription, does the Nest Hello Live view to Home Hub when doorbell is rung functionality still work without a subscription??

Ultimately though, I'll be using the Home Hub for a fair bit of stuff. Smart switches for some outdoor and indoor lights, voice control of our Multizone Hive Heating system, Smart plugs for all our Christmas tree/Garland LED fairy Lights next Xmas and if a borrowed from my brother Home mini plays nice with my recently purchased Harmony Hub/Ultimate Remote combo for controlling our TV, Projector & Atmos Surround Sound Home Cinema System, then the Home Hub will be used for that too.

I knew I was right not to bother running Cat5e to every power socket, light fitting and light switch when renovating back in 2010. (just 2x Cat 5e and 2x CT100 Coax to one point in every room in the house) I knew that by the time Smart Home tech was actually worthwhile it'd be all wifi anyway. No point in 'future proofing' as some advised with wires when 99.999999% of the population wouldn't have Cat5e+ to every lightswitch anyway and if Smarthome tech was to achieve mass market acceptance it'd have to cater to the 99.999999% anyway. I'm covered because I have a wired Gigabit internal network for all the high bandwidth usecases and the Wifi bandwidth is only needed by the odd laptop/phone/tablet streaming a youtube video and the smarthome devices.

They even tell me Cat5e can actually negotiate at a fair chunk of 10gig ethernet speeds when connected to 10 gig equipment in a domestic environment with its much shorter cable runs and less RF noisey cable bundles . Hence I'm not even worried that I chose Cat5e instead of Cat6 back in 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Google home devices are not on Amazon. Amazon promote their own eco system

Google home devices are not on Amazon. Amazon promote their own eco system

Yeah, but they're cheeky enough to have Google Home Hub etc as keywords in their Smarthome search results for the Google spiders to find, Hence Amazon.co.uk Alexa search results being one of the top Google Search results when you google 'Google Home Hub' LOL.

Advertisement