Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*~ Cruising (travel by Waterways) megathread ~*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

If you're booked in as a foot passenger is there anything stopping you from getting into a car with someone rather than using the shuttle bus? My Dad is heading on as a foot passenger but turns out a friend of his is going at the same time in his car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You are processed separately, foot passengers go through the terminal

To meet regulations the ship must
    1. Have a headcount
    2. List of passengers

Nothing stopping you exiting the ship though via car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

razorblunt wrote: »
    If you're booked in as a foot passenger is there anything stopping you from getting into a car with someone rather than using the shuttle bus? My Dad is heading on as a foot passenger but turns out a friend of his is going at the same time in his car.
    We've done this several times in Belfast going to Cairnryan. We go with my parents and they like to book the Stena Plus lounge, but we have children and can't access the lounge. So they book the car, we book as foot passengers and we just explain as we are checking in. We've always been allowed stay in the car with them in both Belfast and Cairnryan coming home.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's actually the Belfast to Cairnryan route that's being taken.
    I'll tell him to give it a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭johnire

Has anyone any experience of booking a cruise using this company?
    Their prices are substantially lower than booking directly with the ships company. (Royal Caribbean).
    I’ve googled them and overall they appear to have got reasonably good feedback but I’m still a little suspicious!!
    Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Mike3549

johnire wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience of booking a cruise using this company?
    Their prices are substantially lower than booking directly with the ships company. (Royal Caribbean).
    I’ve googled them and overall they appear to have got reasonably good feedback but I’m still a little suspicious!!
    Thanks in advance.

They are an american agents. Most of the time they are cheaper than european agents or booking directly with a cruiseline.
    Also usualy you pay a deposit and can cancel with no probs.
    I never booked with them, but booked my cruise through other american agent.
    Check the cruise megathread for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Anybody know if/when the bigger cruise lines like Royal Caribbean and MSC have the sales ?

I'm looking at the MSC packages and it looks like they have changed the drinks package from a few years ago when I last went with them.
    For the "Easy" drinks package it says all items less than 6 Euro, but it seems it's only one beer (Heineken) but no bottled beers included. Anybody used the "easy" package and can they give more details on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I'm looking at the MSC packages and it looks like they have changed the drinks package from a few years ago when I last went with them.
    For the "Easy" drinks package it says all items less than 6 Euro, but it seems it's only one beer (Heineken) but no bottled beers included. Anybody used the "easy" package and can they give more details on it ?

Haven't used the new drink packages myself yet - one cruise booked for October was booked before the changes and therefore they will honour the old packages, plus I'm in the YC anyway!!! Booking one next week that will use the new packages, for sailing in April.

Bascially though they now have Easy, Premium and Premium Plus in the alcohol packages.

Easy is drinks under €6, have a very limited selection of beers, wine and liqours.
    Premium I believe is up to €10, again very limited selection of beers - just the Heini again I believe, slightly more wines but not much and slightly more Liquors. I think this matches roughly with the old Classic package although with a lower drink price point.
    Premium plus is as close to the old Deluxe you can get - the minibar, top shelf etc.

However, I believe crepes are no longer available with any package, nor is gelato. I could - and hope I am - wrong with this!

Actually - just talked to them and even though the easy drinks package says all drinks under 6 Euro, it does not include bottled beer - it's basically Heineken on draft and glasses of house wine

• Advertisement

hdowney wrote: »
    Haven't used the new drink packages myself yet - one cruise booked for October was booked before the changes and therefore they will honour the old packages, plus I'm in the YC anyway!!! Booking one next week that will use the new packages, for sailing in April.

Bascially though they now have Easy, Premium and Premium Plus in the alcohol packages.

Easy is drinks under €6, have a very limited selection of beers, wine and liqours.
    Premium I believe is up to €10, again very limited selection of beers - just the Heini again I believe, slightly more wines but not much and slightly more Liquors. I think this matches roughly with the old Classic package although with a lower drink price point.
    Premium plus is as close to the old Deluxe you can get - the minibar, top shelf etc.

However, I believe crepes are no longer available with any package, nor is gelato. I could - and hope I am - wrong with this!

The premium one has bottled beers also, so may go for that one - at least a bit of selection

deadl0ck wrote: »
    The premium one has bottled beers also, so may go for that one - at least a bit of selection

Oh that's good at least. The Easy package seems like a complete waste of time in my personal opinion. Unless you are a mild wine and spirits drinker and don't touch beer. Then 'maybe' but you'd probably be better off with payg in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

hdowney wrote: »

We are booked in to sail Caribbean in March, I didnt know until now that the drink package changed, does anyone know if you booked the old one will it be honored as it doesn't look like the Crepes or gelato are on the new one, and its all i have read about on reviews, they are meant to be amazing!

fitzparker wrote: »
    We are booked in to sail Caribbean in March, I didnt know until now that the drink package changed, does anyone know if you booked the old one will it be honored as it doesn't look like the Crepes or gelato are on the new one, and its all i have read about on reviews, they are meant to be amazing!

If you booked before they changed the drinks packages (back in November I believe) then yes they will honour the old packages. If you booked after the changes then you are on the new one

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Myself and the current Mrs S are toying with idea of doing a cruise for the first time in September or October this year. The choices seem endless. Can anybody point us in the right direction with recommendations of cruise companies or websites. Also would like to hear some do's and dont's. Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't book your shore excursions through the cruise company.

Giant thread on cruising here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056848146

You might also want to check out https://boards.cruisecritic.com/ which has dedicated forums on each port and alternatives to the cruise organised trips, plus lots of other cruise related stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Myself and the current Mrs S are toying with idea of doing a cruise for the first time in September or October this year. The choices seem endless. Can anybody point us in the right direction with recommendations of cruise companies or websites. Also would like to hear some do's and dont's. Thanks in advance.

You're right, the choice is endless. What suits you, fly out cruise back, cruise out fly back, or fly out and back with cruise in the middle or a no fly cruise. What area would you like to see. Cruise critic is definitely a good site to get information and ask questions. I've booked with Vision Cruise before and found them to be excellent. I've been on 2 cruises, wish it was 102, and enjoyed every minute. Try and figure out what you'd like and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

First time cruiser here and after a bit of research still confused.

If you book the just cruise option is your food covered?

The difference between basic and all inclusive on NCL is €400 per person so not sure its worth it if food is already included.

I see for NCL all inclusive includes:

Adults enjoy a varied selection of branded drinks, including spirits, tap and bottled beers, wines, cocktails, non-alcoholic beers, soft-drinks and juices available in all bars, lounges and dining venues throughout the cruise and at any time.
    • Children and teenagers enjoy unlimited juices, water and soft-drinks.
    • Award-wining entertainment on-board our ships.
    • Casual dining 24/7 meaning guests don't have to book, and can dress as they please.
    • Lavazza speciality coffees, served in all our dining venues.
    • One free bottle of water per person, per day in their stateroom.
    • 60 minutes free Wi-Fi per persion
    • Junior and youth programmes for ages 6 months - 17 years.
    • Fun aqua parks, modern sports facilities, rope courses and much more.
    • Service charges on all our inclusive services are included in their holiday cost.

https://agents-uk.ncl.eu/Premiumallinclusive.php

Can you buy the drinks package once on board?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Food is included, you only pay for special restaurants and drinks. You can buy drinks package onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you book the just cruise option is your food covered?

Yes, the only meals you have to pay for are when you opt for one of the 'speciality' restaurants - most ships have two or three of them. They are themed usually by cuisine such as Japanese, Italian, Mexican etc. If you stick to the standard buffets for breakfast and lunch and the regular restaurant for your dinners, all of the food is included.
    Can you buy the drinks package once on board?

Any cruise I've been on, they were still flogging the drinks packages when we were checking in.

My take on drinks packages is this: if they spend so much time and effort pushing them, they must be highly profitable. So I have never bought one and never regretted it. And I like a few pints every evening and wine with my dinner.

• Advertisement

Mike3549 wrote: »
    Food is included, you only pay for special restaurants and drinks. You can buy drinks package onboard.
    coylemj wrote: »
    Yes, the only meals you have to pay for are when you opt for one of the 'speciality' restaurants - most ships have two or three of them. They are themed usually by cuisine such as Japanese, Italian, Mexican etc. If you stick to the standard buffets for breakfast and lunch and the regular restaurant for your dinners, all of the food is included.

Any cruise I've been on, they were still flogging the drinks packages when we were checking in.

My take on drinks packages is this: if they spend so much time and effort pushing them, they must be highly profitable. So I have never bought one and never regretted it. And I like a few pints every evening and wine with my dinner.

Cheers guys how quickly do cruises sell out should you be booking now for a carribean cruise in August?

Cheers guys how quickly do cruises sell out should you be booking now for a carribean cruise in August?

That's not really a question anyone can answer here - when a cruise sells out depends on pricing and demand. There's any number of cruise lines and destinations.

I'd be careful about the temperature in the Caribbean in August, have you done research on weather in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭zanardi

Don't be surprised if the 'all inclusive' doesn't include all the available drinks, it's usually just a subset.

zanardi wrote: »
    Don't be surprised if the 'all inclusive' doesn't include all the available drinks, it's usually just a subset.

+1 but for 'usually', read 'always'. Because if you saunter up to the bar and ask for a large Remy Martin VSOP, you'll quickly discover that that it's not available as part of a drinks package.

When they say .... 'Adults enjoy a varied selection of branded drinks, including spirits, tap and bottled beers, wines'

the keyword here is 'branded' which is code for 'brands selected by us'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We worked out you'd both want to be fairly serious drinkers to get value from the alcoholic drinks packages. We decided to just buy as we went along.

spurious wrote: »
    We worked out you'd both want to be fairly serious drinkers to get value from the alcoholic drinks packages. We decided to just buy as we went along.

That's what I was thinking.

€800 is a lot for alcohol, coffee and water especially when you'll be off the ship on excursions for half the trip.

I looked at the NCL website and they're very shy about revealing the exact details of the inclusive package.

Some comments on a few of the elements the OP quoted ....
    • Award-wining entertainment on-board our ships.

Entertainment on cruise ships typically comprises different performers (e.g. piano player, with or without a singer) playing in the lounges and a cabaret show (two shows per evening) in a large theatre at the front (bow) of the ship where there is no segregation i.e. any passenger can sit anywhere.

If they have entertainment which is exclusive to people paying for an inclusive package, I'd want more details. Which they do not provide.
    • Casual dining 24/7 meaning guests don't have to book, and can dress as they please.

On most ships, the only time you have to reserve a table is when you elect to pay extra and eat in one of the speciality restaurants. Othewise, you can come and go when and as often as you please in the buffet for breakfast and lunch and you have an assigned table and sitting time in one of the main dining rooms for your dinner every night.

Within limits (no t-shirts or shorts at dinner), most ships take a very relaxed attitude to how you dress. You will usually take your cue from the people who are at your table for dinner. If there's two or four of you and you get a table exclusive to your party, you can dress casually every night and nobody will take any notice.
    • Fun aqua parks, modern sports facilities, rope courses and much more.

The use of plural nouns (parks, facilities, courses) would suggest that this refers to the facilities available to all guests. It would need to be a very big ship otherwise.
    • Service charges on all our inclusive services are included in their holiday cost.

This doesn't mean anything.

Hi guys,

Looking to book cruise now, is it best to book directly off the cruise website NCL.com or would you get a better deal from a travel agent or a different website?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi guys,

Looking to book cruise now, is it best to book directly off the cruise website NCL.com or would you get a better deal from a travel agent or a different website?

Thanks

Get several quotes from different sources

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭natali1982

k123456 wrote: »
    Get several quotes from different sources

Hi, which agencies if you don’t mind me asking. I’ve used Cruise1st for both cruises, however this year they are not very friendly not competitive.

Advertisement