Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-dog sentiments increase?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Poppy dressed up in a wicked witch costume and went trick or treating with the kids one year when I only had one dog. All the neighbours were off rummaging in their fridges looking for 'something for the dog'. Someone gave her half a slice of ham and she puked it up as soon as she got home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

em_cat wrote: »
    I love dogs in clothes!!!! There I said it & it felt good. Mr C has virtually no hair on his belly & a very thin layer on his head so yea if I want him to do his business outdoors he will be covered.

I don't have that excuse -all mine have big heavy undercoats and when I put jackets on them it's because I'm lazy and don't want to clean / dry them. Mortified. :o

Cherry Blossom - my dogs would totally just have wolfed the ham slice back down after vomiting it up. There are no airs and graces... or manners and hygiene in this house. They probably would have done it while wearing antlers and a pink coat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Dog clothes are the only way to keep my elderly girl from waking me up at 5am howling because she's cold- that or heating the house to tropical temperatures. Both dog and clothes must be regularly washed to avoid 'old dog pong' so she has an assortment. Any of ye who have old dogs do consider this- I might get heckled when in Dublin but she's sleeping better and walking for longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

lawred2 wrote: »
    Except the 20% that are the problem of course

No.

I would reiterate - social media is the problem.

And this is why.

10%-20% - or in other words, a small minority - of people in society will always behave irresponsibly.

This is going to happen for the simple reason that humans aren't robots.

And if you cant live in a world where a small minority of
    -dog owners
    -cyclists
    -drivers
    -parents with kids in restaurants
    - Airtricity vendors
    -teachers
    -taxi drivers
    -bankers
    -waiters

etc etc etc

behave badly, then find a different planet.

Because guess what - everyone who whinges about dog owners is themselves breaking the law or pissing people off in some other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I don't have that excuse -all mine have big heavy undercoats and when I put jackets on them it's because I'm lazy and don't want to clean / dry them. Mortified. :o

Oh god same. I also have a fleece for Bailey and it goes on this time of year or I think it's too damp for him. We've done a LOT of work to rehab a muscle tear he had (iliopsoas/hip flexor) so I like to have his hips and tummy covered and warm this time of year. He goes to the vet every Sunday morning for his laser so if it's wet in the park I'd have a coat/fleece/tshirt on him just so he's not manky and wet going into the vets and he gets lots of compliments :P I hated when he needed the boots because everyone would stop us on our walk asking about them and most would want to know where to get them for their own dogs who were slipping in the house etc. Was delighted to see the back of them :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    No.

And this is why.

10%-20% - or in other words, a small minority - of people in society will always behave irresponsibly.

-dog owners
    -cyclists
    -drivers
    - Airtricity vendors
    -teachers
    -taxi drivers
    -bankers
    -waiters

etc etc etc

Because guess what - everyone who whinges about dog owners is themselves breaking the law or pissing people off in some other way.

odd rant

the only issue I have is with those that let their dogs sh!t wherever they like..

but sure it's all social media's fault or something

The amount of crap that's left unpicked in public spaces is a pity for you and those others that don't leave it but sadly it's not unheard of for the few to ruin it for the many. Sure most people would be able to coexist peacefully in a world entirely free of civil and criminal laws but unfortunately we need laws because the few always ruin it for the many. It's nothing specific to dog owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

lawred2 wrote: »
    Tombo2001 wrote: »
    No.

And this is why.

-dog owners
    -cyclists
    -drivers
    - Airtricity vendors
    -teachers
    -taxi drivers
    -bankers
    -waiters

etc etc etc

odd rant

the only issue I have is with those that let their dogs sh!t wherever they like..

but sure it's all social media's fault or something

The amount of crap that's left unpicked in public spaces is a pity for you and those others that don't leave it but sadly it's not unheard of for the few to ruin it for the many. Sure most people would be able to coexist peacefully in a world entirely free of civil and criminal laws but unfortunately we need laws because the few always ruin it for the many. It's nothing specific to dog owners.

Social media allows the complainants to have a faceless rant against whatever they wish, be that dog owners, cyclists, motorists etc. They tend not to approach the problem directly but can play the victim and embellish the truth and gain sympathy and validation. Anytime anyone ever complains to me about how they are sick of off lead dogs or owners not cleaning up poo, I've asked them what they've done about it, ie asked the owner to pick it up, or call the dog warden etc. They hardly ever do, because they can be afraid of confrontation or they don't have dog.warden details to hand. It's far easier to complain online to people that can't do anything bar say "what a bast@Rd! Poor you, hope they get reported!". It snowballs into "well I know someone who was attacked by an off lead dog!, they said it looked like an Akita!" Someone tags the local councillor in the facebook rant and he runs with it, next thing he's printing posters of lists and picture of RB dogs for public areas and he ends up on the wrong end of every dog owner with his ignorance when he starts mouthing off about dangerous dogs and it goes viral. Can't quite remember how many hundreds of thousands of comments it got but he had to close it down and he ended up apologising on TV about it. So yeah, social media can cause a lot of trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I have to one up ye all. I put clothes on my cat :D moose complains out in his run until I come up and put his coat on. He likes his heat :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

ganmo wrote: »

Was going to give thanks, then clicked, wished I hadn’t & promptly emptied out all gold glitter tubes... poor dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Glad I do not have a facebook account? won't let me on... ;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Apart from anything else, how is the poor dog going to lick his bits if they're covered in glitter. Thankfully it's a salon in North Carolina. I can only imagine the outrage if any twit over here tried this kind of nonsense. :mad:

Advertisement