Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build MHRV question/ advice

Options
  • 21-01-2019 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

We are nearing the end out our new build and our project manager (a relative) wants to not complete the MHRV ,it is all first fixed and slabbed and plastered but his vuew is leave a few windows open will ventilate the house. I'm concerned as the house has a full airtight membrane, and inner block leaf plastered under insulated slabs. 5inch insulation in cavity. Will the engineer insist on this mhrv being turned on or will the airtightness test stipulate it to be on? My question really is: how do I argue the importance of completing the MHRV and switch ing it on asap.when heating goes live? (Dry out house etc). Cheers.

PS not sure if this is the right forum this

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Is your engineer signing off on building regs?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 t.kc

BryanF wrote: »
    Is your engineer signing off on building regs?

Yes I'd imagine he is, would he not have to?

t.kc wrote: »
    Yes I'd imagine he is, would he not have to?

aren’t the questions your asking best addressed to the engineer?

You need to comply with Building regulations

Ventilation (TGD F) and energy conservation (TGD L)

For drying out the house - open the windows. Be prepared to change mvhr filters every few months for the first year or two due to dust etc.

If your project manager isn’t up to the job and/or familiar with mvhr and air-tightness, perhaps you should send him on a training course or part ways

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

We are nearing the end out our new build and our project manager (a relative) wants to not complete the MHRV ,it is all first fixed and slabbed and plastered but his vuew is leave a few windows open will ventilate the house. on or will the airtightness test stipulate it to be on?

MHRV is about energy not ventilation. Which is why opening a window isn't comparable. Also why is "what the PM wants to do" a consideration? Should he not just be following the documentation? Or is there another influence such as trying to achieve a budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

We are nearing the end out our new build and our project manager (a relative) wants to not complete the MHRV ,it is all first fixed and slabbed and plastered but his vuew is leave a few windows open will ventilate the house. I'm concerned as the house has a full airtight membrane, and inner block leaf plastered under insulated slabs. 5inch insulation in cavity. Will the engineer insist on this mhrv being turned on or will the airtightness test stipulate it to be on? My question really is: how do I argue the importance of completing the MHRV and switch ing it on asap.when heating goes live? (Dry out house etc). Cheers.

PS not sure if this is the right forum this

Sounds like somethings been overlooked and to comission the MHRVC may need some backtracking and work removing and refitting. Especially now you say all the plastering has been done....

Just a hunch.....thats all....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

miller_63 wrote: »
    Sounds like somethings been overlooked and to comission the MHRVC may need some backtracking and work removing and refitting. Especially now you say all the plastering has been done....

Just a hunch.....thats all....

Yep, its a snow job for some cockup

Op go look at what is installed thus far for the MHRV

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dusteeroads

Context matters here.

Do you mean your PM wants not to complete the MVHR for the purposes of drying out the house before occupation ? If so he is correct it is not intended to do that.

The AT test will not look for the MVHR to be fully completed - it is intended to check the building enclosure.

For certifying compliance with building regulations - all systems must be tested and commissioned.

Mellor wrote: »
    MHRV is about energy not ventilation. Which is why opening a window isn't comparable. Also why is "what the PM wants to do" a consideration? Should he not just be following the documentation? Or is there another influence such as trying to achieve a budget?

The clue is in the name

MV - mechanical ventilation - the primary health and safety purpose of the system

HR - (with) heat recovery - secondary function.

The clue is in the name

MV - mechanical ventilation - the primary health and safety purpose of the system

HR - (with) heat recovery - secondary function.
    If you are going to be condescending, make sure you are correvt. :rolleyes:

It's not MV+HR. It's MHRV, the fact you had the rearrage the letters should have been a clue.
    The point of MHRV is to reduce the energy lost through ventilation. Energy recovery is the primary function, ventilation is the means by which it achieves that.

Ventilation can be achieved by opening a window (as the PM said), or with fixed windows. You don't need MHRV for ventilation.

And we’ll leave it there.

• Advertisement

If you are going to be condescending, make sure you are correvt. :rolleyes:

It's not MV+HR. It's MHRV, the fact you had the rearrage the letters should have been a clue.
    The point of MHRV is to reduce the energy lost through ventilation. Energy recovery is the primary function, ventilation is the means by which it achieves that.

Ventilation can be achieved by opening a window (as the PM said), or with fixed windows. You don't need MHRV for ventilation.

Apologies for my tone Mellor.

I wish to respectfully refer all to TGDF 2009 for the correct terminology - item 1.2.3. and for the intended purpose of the installation item 1.2.3.1

https://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/building-standards/tgd-part-d-materials-and-workmanship/technical-guidance-documents

Apologies for my tone Mellor.

I wish to respectfully refer all to TGDF 2009 for the correct terminology - item 1.2.3. and for the intended purpose of the installation item 1.2.3.1
    I'm not sure what your point is. Part F is the Ventilation TGD. It's only focus is ventilation. It also mentions windows - would you argue that a windows primary purpose is ventilation too?

Regarding the order in the acronym. MHRV, MVHR, HRV or being anally accurate MVMHR (that level of specificity is best left to the mechanical engineers imo).
    All describe the same equipment. None change the purpose.

Getting back to the OP. The reason his design include heat recovery ventilation, is conservation of energy. So "opening a window" is not an adequate substitute.

The reason his design include heat recovery ventilation, is conservation of energy.

and you know this how ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

and you know this how ?

before I add you to my ignore list, let me ask you why else would you pay the extra cost of the heat recovery equipment, including insulated ducting, if it were not for energy saving?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

MVHR is marketed as an energy saving measure but that is not it's primary function. TGDL 2011 item 1.4.5.2 also demonstrates this
    1.4.5.2 Where a mechanical ventilation
    system designed for continuous operation
    (with or without heat recovery) is installed for
    the provision of ventilation to a dwelling

Note the brackets indicating secondary function.

The reason for installing any kind of mechanical ventilation system is to provide ventilation - especially where to comply with Part L air permeability requirements a Q50 / 5 or better target is met - then one cannot safely rely on non mechanical ventilation.

Scan Part L - where is MHRV - or MVHR mentioned even once ....

and you know this how ?

Your both arch’s

Let’s agree the mvhr is there as part of a TGD L & F compliance, both for ventilation and energy conversation

Agree ? to what end. What light would that shed ?

I will let this be my final post on this thread

https://www.greenbuildingstore.co.uk/information-hub/mvhr-frequently-asked-questions/

Note the brackets indicating secondary function.
    Where does that say anything about secondary function, or primary for that matter.

That paragraph is about mechical ventilation. The brackets indicate that. Not all mech is heat recovery. In fact outside of the Irish domestic bubble, most of it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Lets take a step back, If he's not pulling a fast one to skip MVHR altogether, and just doesnt want to put it on untill the house is finished, I actually agree with him.

Theres so much dust left to be created inside the house from builders from 2nd fixing that the filters would clog.
    Open windows are what I did until we were a few weeks from moving and the worst of the dust work was finished.

I started this thread agreeing that it sounded cowboy, but reread the OP, and it sounds like his PM is doing same as me.... BUT also not we are in foggy season, that will do more bad than good when opening windows! I promise you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

You have spent 000’s on Airtightness membranes and plastering behind slabs......now you are going to open windows........

• Advertisement

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Lets take a step back, If he's not pulling a fast one to skip MVHR altogether, and just doesnt want to put it on untill the house is finished, I actually agree with him.
    OP says PM doesn't want to not install, not that he doesn't want to turn it on.
    I also agree with not turning until most of the dust is removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 t.kc

The pm thinks it's not needed and that opening the windows will suffice. Even with the heating in. Good advice not to turn it in until we are ready to move in for dust reasons .

If it's not turned on I know we would have stale air in the mornings etc. Would there be any other issues/ symptoms?

It's madness spending 000s in airtightness and then not ventilating the house properly I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Just quick bump, noticing good bit of dust around the house, should i up %intake and exhaust speed on my mvhr, its @45% currently. Lad that installed it said i had good airflow around house so could have it lower, that was near 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The dust is generated from people (you) unless you plan on removing yourself then MHRV won't solve this. It's to reduce outside air contaminants and provide fresh air removing stale air.

You'll just have to up or alter cleaning routine.

Just thought if i upped speed of fans it would help, i might clean the filters, they are in with 9 months or else ill ask herself to up her game, ill think about that one.

It won't do much tbh to lift dust off the floors as always though the filters should be changed 6 to 12 months mark.

HAve mvhr throughout the house. Notice when we light stove that we get some stove smells in master bedroom at other end of house.Would this have anything to do with mvhr system?

Yes that's a problem. Was it professionally installed and does the stove have its own supply ?

You may have a leak in the stove seals.

we don't get smells even in room with stove so would that rule out stove seals? Mvhr professionally installed.

• Advertisement

It wouldn't no. The stove should only ever be getting its own air supply and it's exhaust should be out the chimney/flue.

You should never ever have that smell outside the room which means there is supply or exhaust issue or seals are compromised.

Advertisement