Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of refurbishing typical 3bed with garage

Options
  • 17-01-2019 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

We're on the look out for a new property to buy and have come across a property we are interested in. The house is a typical 3bed, approx 110m2, garage on one side with adjoining property on the other.

The house looks like it hasn't been lived in properly and need a lot of work. Sitting room, dinning room and kitchen need everything pulled down and we would likely open up and connect the 3 rooms. Upstairs the 3 bedrooms need the same treatment, the washrooms need to be joined (toilet + shower room currently two rooms) etc.

The whole house needs a good going over to make it a home! Some of the work could be done by ourselves but not the heavy lifting such as installing lintels.

I'd imagine (all) the floor boards would need to be lifted, sockets are in the skirting boards (rewiring required?) and additional to this I'd like multiple lan ports in all rooms + additional sockets.

It's quite the undertaking, I've no idea myself what kind of cost would be involved and looking for a rough estimate (I imagine 40k wouldn't last long?).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vidrew82

I recently did something similar, house was gutted and rebuilt.

New wiring
    New plumbing ( new boiler included )
    Switch to Gas
    New windows and doors
    Installed a stove
    Removed some walls
    New plastering/insulation
    New kitchen
    New roof on old extension
    Small bit of garden work
    Carpeting and new floors
    New stairs
    New bathroom upstairs
    Some changes so that we got a downstairs bathroom.
    Painting
    ( I'm sure i left something out )

Overall the cost was about 90k, we got some grants so this reduced it by a couple of thousand.

We were lucky that no surprises came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

80-100k range with a decent high standard id assume would be accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

vidrew82 wrote: »

New wiring
    Switch to Gas
    New windows and doors
    Installed a stove
    Removed some walls
    New kitchen
    Small bit of garden work
    Carpeting and new floors
    New stairs
    New bathroom upstairs
    Painting

Overall the cost was about 90k, we got some grants so this reduced it by a couple of thousand.

Thats a hefty sum of money! Did you do any work yourself and does that account for architects fees (we wouldn't have those and likely do as much as possible ourselves)?

From talking to a few people thats double what they tell me (none who have had to get work done...), however you have a few items in there we wouldn't need that ad to the cost (Stairs, garden, kitchen roof). That being said, I can't see how some of what we might be looking at could be done for half what you've spend and imagine the final sum might lie somewhere in between depending on how much work we need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

jozi wrote: »
    Thats a hefty sum of money!

Going through vidrew82's list I was surprised he got all that for €90k....

One of the issues with jobs like this is finding a contractor who is willing to take it on. In our area a lot of the good ones are into building one-off houses and large extensions, they are not really interested in sub €150k projects.

Best of luck with your project.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

vidrew82 wrote: »

New wiring
    Switch to Gas
    New windows and doors
    Installed a stove
    Removed some walls
    New kitchen
    Small bit of garden work
    Carpeting and new floors
    New stairs
    New bathroom upstairs
    Painting

Howdy, where in the country are you? Seems like a lot of work to get done for 90K. Looking at a house that would need work myself, and kind of getting cold feet based on renovation costs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement