Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goals for 2019

Options
  • 29-12-2018 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

I've seen this thread before so thought I'd kick it off for 2019.

This year I think I'll try and tick off a few things.

Health - Improve diet, do more exercise, lose weight. The 10000 step per day went out the window in December.

Family - spend more time together, visit a few new places and generally get out more.

Finances - Get the will sorted (have been leaving this on the long finger), continue saving.

Hobbies - look into a few new things to do in spare time. Continue reading going to gigs and shows.

Career - this has been on hold for a few years by choice so that I can spend more time with my young daughter. I'll start to look at different options for the future and come up with a plan (maybe).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Neames wrote: »
    I've seen this thread before so thought I'd kick it off for 2019.

This year I think I'll try and tick off a few things.

Health - Improve diet, do more exercise, lose weight. The 10000 step per day went out the window in December.

Family - spend more time together, visit a few new places and generally get out more.

Finances - Get the will sorted (have been leaving this on the long finger), continue saving.

Hobbies - look into a few new things to do in spare time. Continue reading going to gigs and shows.

Career - this has been on hold for a few years by choice so that I can spend more time with my young daughter. I'll start to look at different options for the future and come up with a plan (maybe).

Good idea for a thread, and would have surprisingly similar goals myself, even the will part. Need to find time first for hobbies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Class of 82

To make 2019 my best year ever. Never went into a new year feeling so enthusiastic about life.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

To eat better more fruit and veg in diet

Spend more time with kids always to tired and stressed after work

And try not to be stressed about everything relax more

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

To continue the upward trajectory of my life since I got sobriety. Rebuilding my career - keep up the momentum.

Make sure to actually make the effort to meet up with old pals I keep telling I will see "soon."

To be kind to myself.

To keep up my search for love. Lots of lust satisfied (thanks Scruff :cool:) but I need love in my life.:o

To achieve complete peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Recommend as many people as can to do the Future Authoring program. Well worth it as an exercise. Best wishes to everyone in 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

My OH and I joined slimming world 2 weeks ago to beat the January rush. So goal is to stick with that. No weight loss target in mind, just lose the belly.

Get into a routine training pattern. Get back playing football and soccer to the level I was at a couple of years ago. I'm 31 but should be achievable for the level I play at. If this doesn't go as planned, I'll look into coaching a team. Under 10s or 12s where the emphasis is on having fun and learning the basics.

Don't let things get to me so much work wise. Left my work phone at work over the xmas and I think I'll make this a permanent thing from now on. So relaxing without it.

Save more consistently. Although last year was the first year I took control of my finances but I feel it could be a bit better.

Feels good writing that down. Will be interesting to see how it goes during the year

In 2018 I quit drinking and drugs (there was a ridiculous amount of both) and then quit smoking. So by the one-year mark of quitting drinking I plan to lose a lot of weight to make it a very good year overall.

This year ended on a real bum note and with something fairly big that'll mean some changes so I dunno how that'll pan out. I'm focussing on saving money so I can buy my own place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I usually post on this thread but am not sure about what I want to achieve this year other than to run 1,500 miles (managed 1,100 in 2018).

I am all educationed out and not advanced enough to get a promotion this year. I may look into a new job depending on the outcome of a meeting at the end of January.

I guess I want to spend as much time with wife and 2 kids as possible.

Reduce DART trips to 4 a week if possible (run/cycle other days).

Will need to think about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

Get back in shape - I need to shed about 3 stone. I'm 22, so time to nip this in the bud. I set a similar goal in 2015 and lost 4 stone in 18 months just through diet; I reckon I'd lose 3 by end of summer, as I started going to the gym during the last quarter of 2018.

Change my job - I started my first job as a software developer back in June. I love development but hate the company I work for. I'm going to get to the year mark and pack it in. At least my savings account will be nice and padded.

Read a book a month; I stated this goal last year but failed miserably. I read 4. I have 7 books that I received over Christmas, which need to be read, and I'm looking forward to all that.

Happy New Year everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭vikings2012

-Practice and improve reading and speaking Irish.
    -Be kinder to people.
    -Spend less time working.
    -Visit the cemetery every week.
    -Travel more outside of Europe.
    -Take up rowing (inspired by the O’Donovan bros)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 burgershack

Become more proactive- have an awful habit of putting things off.

Change jobs- Totally bored with what I am doing.

Cut back/Give up alcohol- Went off it for 5 week before Christmas and felt great.

Parkruns- Think it will be a nice way to build up the fitness levels. Have registered for it but haven't ran any yet.

Become more sociable- Fairly introverted, I watch a lot of films and social media. Will cut that back and go out more, join clubs. Get hobbies.

Find myself a partner- being single for far too long.

Cooking- try to become better at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Interesting thread.

From my own past experience in any case, I find that I have most success in achieving (or even partially achieving, which is a success in itself) a 'New Year Goal' when I focus on one thing in particular, rather than on a wide range of things, in which case I've usually failed quite miserably at all.

I think that the 'finding the time' aspect is important.

One thing I have realised is that I have simply being fooling myself in the past with this old chestnut, pulling it out whenever it suited me to justify something. I know now that if something is really important enough then you will make the time for it, and not find it.

For example with exercising regularly, I started this on the back of a NY resolution many years ago, I would have been reaching into the excuse box before that to put it off. Since then however I have kept it up, and realise now that I feel much better, both mentally and physically, since.

I think that spending more time with family is something that we will all include, though perhaps sometimes the guilt factor is in play here as well, as well as a nagging sense that it is something which we *must* improve on. Making time for us ourselves can often be just as, if not more important. E.g. I find it the case when I am running / cycling etc, I often do these activities on my own rather than in a group, as it gives me the time to just be myself.

As for 2019, I think I would like to set myself the goal of trying to be more positive, and to see the good in things rather than always focusing on the bad. I think we are naturally conditioned to see the negative side of things, whereas things are often really quite better than we think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Get more sleep and try to accomplish my 2018 resolutions!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Not a lot really, I am lucky enough to be my own person and having no ties I can, essentially, do whatever I want whenever I feel like, with the obvious constraints of work and general decency :)

Having to pick onto something...

- Organize my own off-work time on nights/week ends better: I always want to do a lot of stuff, having a ****eload of hobbies, but in the end I usually accomplish very little as I waste a lot of time simply planning / deciding what to do;

- Get back into a proper exercise/eating schedule: final couple of months of last year I succumbed to a bit of laziness, skipping the gym a few times and ordering one or three takeaways too many. Some work related tiredness might have been a contributing factor, but it's no excuse. Need to get back on top of that.

- Maybe join Tinder again...couple of recent interactions with the opposite sex during social events proved beyond doubt I'm not ready for the shelf yet. Still not a fan of relationships 'though!

- Depending on the first couple of months of 2019, I might decide to move to a different job; It all hinges on how my current employer handles a couple of things we're dealing with at the moment...

For the first quarter of the year, I am focused on two things - my health and career.

Health - bad habits last year led me to get out shape. Since the new year I have been eating well, sleeping better, not drinking, exercising regularly. Plan is to make these changes something I do without thinking every day.

Career - started a new role in January. Best opportunity I have had in a few years and really could make something of this if I focus and do things right. So for now the goals are to build up my job knowledge, build relationships across the business and make an impact ASAP.

That is the plan so far. Quarter 2 I am moving on to relationship/love life. Which will be a lot tougher..

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

kerry37 wrote: »
    My OH and I joined slimming world 2 weeks ago to beat the January rush. So goal is to stick with that. No weight loss target in mind, just lose the belly.

Get into a routine training pattern. Get back playing football and soccer to the level I was at a couple of years ago. I'm 31 but should be achievable for the level I play at. If this doesn't go as planned, I'll look into coaching a team. Under 10s or 12s where the emphasis is on having fun and learning the basics.

Don't let things get to me so much work wise. Left my work phone at work over the xmas and I think I'll make this a permanent thing from now on. So relaxing without it.

Save more consistently. Although last year was the first year I took control of my finances but I feel it could be a bit better.

Feels good writing that down. Will be interesting to see how it goes during the year

Eat a healthy diet and you'll lose your belly, 31 is way too young to have a belly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shaymc4892

Well after 2018 being such a ****e year. Going to make a new life for myself in 2019.
    Newly single after 28 years married. Just lost 4 stone and hoping this will spur me on to new start in 2019.
    Feeling reinvigorated and determined to get back to enjoying work again. Not sure what else year can bring but intrigued to see where I’ll be this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well folks, how's all the NY resolutions going?

Many gone to pot already?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

My DART trips are down to 5 a week and I may be able to eliminate public transport entirely this year. Am in the middle of a 5 miles a day challenge for 40 days. Day 24 complete.
    Have contacted recruiters and applied for 1 job so far. No responses as of yet.

The girlfriends and I preparing for the arrival of our third child so thats going to be the focus of most of the goals for 2019.

I guess the goal I had last year of scaling back on my hobbies and time sinks by choosing one of them and deleting it from my life - which I failed to do sadly - is going to become more pressing for that reason. I am not sure what I want to give up. I love doing all the things I do. I think it is going to have to be the Capoeira club though I might keep up some small amount of practice at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

After our second child fitness has dropped so goals are Run 1000km cycle over 2000km. Also get finances sorted hoping to get a morgage in 4-5 years so plenty of saving to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The girlfriends and I preparing for the arrival of our third child so thats going to be the focus of most of the goals for 2019.

I guess the goal I had last year of scaling back on my hobbies and time sinks by choosing one of them and deleting it from my life - which I failed to do sadly - is going to become more pressing for that reason. I am not sure what I want to give up. I love doing all the things I do. I think it is going to have to be the Capoeira club though I might keep up some small amount of practice at home.

Maybe give up one of the girlfriends.....you must be exhausted!

Heh. Economies of scale. Each helps with the other. I would likely find one more exhausting than both.

I am making a lot of progress still with BJJ so I want to keep training that in 2019. Capoeira - is mostly just maintenance at this point. I am not learning much new or making much progress. It is rather limited art form. So I think it is time to let it go. As much as I love it.

Looking at my peers - the third child always appears to be the one that breaks the camels back. One is a huge change - a second somewhat less so - but a third always seems to stretch their resources.

Congrats on the new baby :)

Dangoo wery moocha. Its not here yet. But well under development now. Our third, but Aileens first. All very exciting. And terrifying.

To make 2019 my best year ever. Never went into a new year feeling so enthusiastic about life.

A good year in hindsight. Lots achieved; still feel aspects of my life I need to really focus on but nothing that is out of my reach.

Roll on the new decade.

Advertisement