Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Log cabins- discussion thread

• 20-01-2019 10:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am making this thread to act as a conduit for discussing log cabins- regulation conforming and not. It is not a topic that I am very interested in but I feel it is important that there is a place for people to ask questions on this topic.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

An_Toirpin wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am making this thread to act as a conduit for discussing log cabins- regulation conforming and not. It is not a topic that I am very interested in but I feel it is important that there is a place for people to ask questions on this topic.

Current situation, log cabins are garden rooms, sheds and storage rooms.
    Most of the cannot new tbuilding Regulations for habitable status and they cannot be integrated into an existing dwelling by way of an extension so this rules them out from a planning point of view.

You can get planning for them down the back of your garden for use as a shed, Store or garden room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

What’s the story with the cabins in Center Parc? What way are they constructed and are they subject to different regs?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

mayota wrote: »
    What’s the story with the cabins in Center Parc? What way are they constructed and are they subject to different regs?

Not sure about the Longford development specifically but previous lodges were constructed of Kingspan pre-insulated timber frame panels.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

An_Toirpin wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am making this thread to act as a conduit for discussing log cabins- regulation conforming and not..
    Mod note.
    This is the topic, however There will be NO discussion on the merits of building regulations. They are the law.
    Can posters please familiarize themselves with the forum charter https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055036302
    Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They may look like log cabins externally but their build up would be much different. Also, hotels and short stays may have lesser requirements than habitable dwellings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭dathi

they are timber framed buildings clad with a mixture of horizontal timber on counter batons and stone veneer cladding the amount of stone cladding was dependent on the separation distance between lodges as it was used as the fire barrier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭arctictree

I have a "log cabin" beside a lambing shed on an out farm. I basically bought a 20x10ft garden shed, split it into two rooms inside and fully insulated the back room. It's lovely and warm with a gas heater in it. Full electrics running off a solar panel and battery. It's main use is as a tool shed and farm office. As far as I know it's exempt from planning. Anyway, cost about 4k all in, great investment.

Advertisement