Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut currency card or stay with an post

Options
  • 15-01-2019 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi,
    we are going to the US in a few weeks and were wondering what currency card people would recommend. We have used the an post currency card before but I got a free revolut card at Christmas and really like the ease you can transfer money in and out of it, and no fee.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

500 euro = 556 USD with An Post
    500 euro = 570 USD with Revolut

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

ted1 wrote:
    500 euro = 556 USD with An Post 500 euro = 570 USD with Revolut

Yes the rates are better but I've seen a few negative reviews about the revolut card, not working properly on hols.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Revolut a million times over.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

Some forums recommend Starling or monzo but they don't cater for the Irish market

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

fennor72 wrote: »
    Yes the rates are better but I've seen a few negative reviews about the revolut card, not working properly on hols.

Never had a single issue using mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sarah1991

I'd recommend revolut, last year when I was in the US a couple of the bars and the hotel we stayed in didn't actually accept the an post cards as there's no name on them

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Never had an issue and I’ve used it in Several European countries + USA, St.lucia, Malaysia, Mozambique, South Africa , Oman, UAE

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Hi,
    we are going to the US in a few weeks and were wondering what currency card people would recommend. We have used the an post currency card before but I got a free revolut card at Christmas and really like the ease you can transfer money in and out of it, and no fee.

I would go with Revolut. I have used it in the US, UK, Switzerland, Poland and Croatia without any issues. The rate of exchange is better, the app is very easy to use, the functionality of the app is good and you get real time notifications about transactions. It's easy to top up too and easy to send back any unspent money to your bank account.

The card is very handy just to have in your wallet. I lost my bank debit card in another eurozone county before but I had the Revolut card in my wallet. Losing my debit card didn't really matter because I had my Revolut card and could just carry on as normal. I got second Revolut card a while ago and I just leave that one in the hotel safe now when I away as a back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Been all over the world using revolut.

The odd time an ATM won't accept it but accepts the AIB card. Most of the time, it works perfectly. I wouldn't leave Ireland without it. Infact, its what I mostly use in Ireland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭batman1

In terms of actually using revolut cards, can you treat them the same as a normal debit card, provided you have the funds?

For example, to buy lunch, or bigger purchases like electronics or hotel costs of several hundred $$?

My understanding is that you can withdraw 200 per month without fees and any withdrawl above that gets a 2% charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

batman1 wrote: »
    In terms of actually using revolut cards, can you treat them the same as a normal debit card, provided you have the funds?

For example, to buy lunch, or bigger purchases like electronics or hotel costs of several hundred $$?

My understanding is that you can withdraw 200 per month without fees and any withdrawl above that gets a 2% charge?

Even after the fee, I think it still works out cheaper than withdrawing with another card. I don't think there is s charge when withdrawing euro is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Yes as long as you have money in your account you can buy whatever you want, it's just like any other bank account.

On cash withdrawals yes, unless you pay for premium which increases the limit a bit . 2% is still better than any other rate you will get though.
    Also, this is cash withdrawals only purchases with the card are not part of this 2% cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I use my Revolut card as my day to day card. Top it up every week and it buys my lunches etc.

Have the spare change vault set up and that's building nicely.

This is in addition to the benefits when abroad. No 'non-Euro transaction' fees. The normal banks still charging for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Yes, you can use it as a point of sale card. Contactless/contactless and pin/chip and pin.
    MarkY91 wrote: »
    Even after the fee, I think it still works out cheaper than withdrawing with another card. I don't think there is s charge when withdrawing euro is there?

The charge is on all withdrawals above 200e a month or equivalent. Simple solution though - don't use your revolut card for ATM withdrawals where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Have had Revolut a few years now and used it in many countries without issue, would highly recommend you use this. It's not perfect and issues can arise but it's extremely rare, just make sure you have a regular bank debit or credit card with you just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Have used Revolut for a number of years now. The only time we ever had an issue was when money was refunded back onto the card. For example if we had cancelled flights or reservations and the company sent the money over then the card would freeze. In terms of topping up and withdrawing, its quality. Have used in over 20 countries and all fine.

Advertisement