Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No claims bonus protection vs step back

Options
  • 18-01-2019 1:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

I have two quotes boi car insurance with step back €550 versus 25plus €590 with no claims bonus protection €590.
    Which is better value?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Full no claims protection is worth having.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Full no claims protection is worth having.

Thanks for replying. So I should pay the extra 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

restive wrote: »
    Thanks for replying. So I should pay the extra 40.

Definitely worth it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Definitely worth it!!

Does bonus protection actually work.

Like when it comes to renewal and I have to declare a claim, will my insurance still increase at renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

kala85 wrote: »
    Does bonus protection actually work.

Like when it comes to renewal and I have to declare a claim, will my insurance still increase at renewal.

When there is a protected no claims it usually sees the premium still increase (loading) following a claim, but the percentage no claims discount won't decrease.

Many make the mistake of thinking a protected no claims bonus projects their premium, it does not, it simply protects the NCB discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

If I make a claim and I have no claims bonus protection, will my premium increase by much..

If the premium increases with no claim bonus protection then it looks like the protection is a bit of a scam

What happens if I change insurers and go over to another insurance company after I have made a claim with the bonus protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Only the insurer that you paid to protect your bonus is obliged to recognise it. It is a contract condition both parties have agreed to. Any alternative insurers are not bound by that agreement. However, I believe some might on a case by case basis

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

kala85 wrote: »
    If I make a claim and I have no claims bonus protection, will my premium increase by much..

If the premium increases with no claim bonus protection then it looks like the protection is a bit of a scam

It might increase even with bonus protection - no one can say by how much, however it will increase by significantly more if you had no NCB protection

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement