Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bichon itchyness

Options
  • 19-01-2019 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I have a bichon, about 8 years old now. From day one we have been giving him or attempting to give him good food etc, royal canine nuts and eventually after multiple vet visits the anti allergy ones which are very expensive.

Basically he is always scratching his ears until they turn red which breaks my heart. However his skin now seems to be very bad. He has little dry patches all over him, some in circles some in lines in places such as his belly, chest and ''arm pits''. Feel like scars if you know what I mean and are redish/brownish in colour. He is scratching and biting and licking them la lot along with his paws (which he used always do aswell). We have tried plenty of different foods but its always been dry nuts as he can get sick after some foods so I don't really like giving him stuff but may have to.

Just wondering if anybody has any ideas about what I could do or what foods I should attempt? I've been reading online that dry nuts are some of the worst things for dogs etc but really just want my little guy to have some relief from the itching! Should I try some wet food? Im really not sure about this space at all though.

Thanks! Will be happy to provide more info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭infor123

Have a bichon about A year older than yours When I got him he was always scratching his ears etc. So went to the vets and they kept treating him for ear infections. He used to be crying from scratching it so much.

He developed the red/brown patches like you mention on his skin (around his joints mainly) and after constantly going back to the vet a new one at the clinic saw him one day and decided he might have Atopic Dermatitis. She gave me tablets called Atopica. Expensive enough but I started giving them to him daily and the difference it made was unreal. That was about 6/7 years ago. She then told me to reduce his intake of the atopica tabs and use anti-histamines every second day. At this stage now he gets atopica maybe 2 times a week and no anti-histamines and he’s perfect. The odd time I see him scratching badly or biting his arm pit and i just increase the dose for a week.

Like you it broke my heart to hear him crying from the scratching. He’s a different dog since he started on the tablets.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Discoloration and itchiness is usually down to allergies and incorrect food, especially with non shedding hypoallergenic dogs. One of my Old English Sheepdogs used to get browning, redness etc. We got her tested for food and grain allergies, surprisingly she has very few grain and plant issues although in terms of food, it's a different story. She's allergic to beef, lamb, chicken, pork, vennison, turkey etc so is basically on a fish/vegan diet. She hates fish, but the redness/itchiness is gone until she gets hold of the cat's food! Poor girl but she's doing much better

Unfortunately dogs are complicated sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Thanks for your reply! Yeah we have tried to make sure it wasn't fleas with flea removers etc. Interesting to know about it being more likely to be food allergies in non shedding dogs though I didn't know that! Thank you.

Thanks for your reply! Yeah we have tried to make sure it wasn't fleas with flea removers etc. Interesting to know about it being more likely to be food allergies in non shedding dogs though I didn't know that! Thank you.

No worries! The tests aren't cheap though :( Hope you get a fix for him!

tedpan wrote: »
    No worries! The tests aren't cheap though :( Hope you get a fix for him!

Yeah. I may attempt some other food such as wet dog food rather then the dry nuts first and see how he reacts to it before paying for the tests. Just trying to find a good brand / good type of that sort of food will be difficult! :)

• Advertisement

I think I might try Wolf Of The Wild foods, just to see how he gets on with them. He has never really liked royal canine and only eats it when he has to but its what the vet pushed on us (thinking of it their entire vet has royal canine plastered everywhere). Going to order some later. Looks like its natural and full of nice flavours for him

I think I might try Wolf Of The Wild foods, just to see how he gets on with them. He has never really liked royal canine and only eats it when he has to but its what the vet pushed on us (thinking of it their entire vet has royal canine plastered everywhere). Going to order some later. Looks like its natural and full of nice flavours for him

Yep, look on Zooplus. There's quality foods and lots of user reviews to help you out.

infor123 wrote: »
    Have a bichon about A year older than yours When I got him he was always scratching his ears etc. So went to the vets and they kept treating him for ear infections. He used to be crying from scratching it so much.

He developed the red/brown patches like you mention on his skin (around his joints mainly) and after constantly going back to the vet a new one at the clinic saw him one day and decided he might have Atopic Dermatitis. She gave me tablets called Atopica. Expensive enough but I started giving them to him daily and the difference it made was unreal. That was about 6/7 years ago. She then told me to reduce his intake of the atopica tabs and use anti-histamines every second day. At this stage now he gets atopica maybe 2 times a week and no anti-histamines and he’s perfect. The odd time I see him scratching badly or biting his arm pit and i just increase the dose for a week.

Like you it broke my heart to hear him crying from the scratching. He’s a different dog since he started on the tablets.

Totally missed this post somehow! Thanks for the information! I didn't know you could give dogs anti-histamines. He'd fit in perfect with my family if thats the case, we all take them daily haha!

Glad it helped your dog with Atopica tablets, I will look into them should different food not help. I may try giving him an anti histamine though for some relief now!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi op,
    The following very much depends on the assumption that you're not dealing with fleas, but that it's atopic dermatitis your dog has.
    I have a lot of experience with itchy white dogs... Almost all itchiness in white dogs is allergy related. The secret is to try to find what that allergy is to, so you can limit exposure to it, coupled with trying to reduce the body's over-the-top immune reaction often via meds.

Right. First things first. The dry food has to go. Doesn't matter how expensive or hypoallergenic it is! Whilst a sizeable proportion of white dogs have allergies to various ingredients in their food (~25% of itchy white dogs), there is a cohort of them that are allergic to the tiny storage mites that are present in all dry foods. So, for that reason alone, the dry food has to go for at least the next 8 weeks to see what happens.

Now, back to food types that may cause allergies. One person above has listed the common ones, but also a few less likely ones (my god... You went through a process to eliminate some of them tedpan!)... But you can take it as read that you need to eliminate grains, beef and chicken, and stick to novel proteins. And eliminate dry food.

So where does that leave you? There are excellent quality wet foods available, they are absolutely complete and much loved by most dogs.
    Naturediet is great because there are a few different and unusual proteins available (rabbit, pheasant, venison, lamb), but it does contain a small amount of rice. However, although it's a grain, rice is generally benign and harmless as it's gluten-free.
    Rocco (available on zooplus) is also good, they have a sensitive range which includes lamb and turkey. Zooplus is well worth rooting around for their great range of high-meat, grain-free wet foods.
    Oily fish is an absolute must for itchy dogs... So, tins of sardines from Lidl or Aldi! They contain all sorts of fantastic stuff that's great for skin, balanced immune response, and brain health.

Meds-wise, infor123 describe how they used Atopica. The active ingredient in this is cyclosporin, which is an immunosuppressant. It was revolutionary stuff at the time infor123 would have used it, but things have moved quickly in the itchy skin department in recent years, and there are alternatives.
    Atopica is now de-licensed, and cyclosporin is available in other formats that, from what I've seen, usually work better. Atopica is given in capsule form, and each capsule size covers a broad weight range, so I was finding that our 8kg dogs were getting the same dosage as a significantly larger dog. Cyclosporin makes them nauseous for the first few weeks, and I feel the large dose in Atopica makes them sicker... There's nowt worse than watching expensive meds being yakked up on the kitchen floor!
    Newer versions include an accurate dosing syringe, so an 8kg dog gets a dose for an 8kg dog. These include Sporimmune, and Cyclavance.
    Weirdly though, occasionally we get a dog who Sporimmune or Cyclavance don't suit, but Atopica does... Despite them being the same drug! But all in all, results with Cyclavance and Sporimmune have been great.
    There's also a newer kid on the block called Apoquel, which blocks the immune response and doesn't have as many side effects as Cyclosporin. Many itchy dogs, are benefitting from it, especially those for whom cyclosporin doesn't seem to work so well.
    None of the above are cheap, you're looking at anywhere from €50-60 per month, but as infor123 notes, very often the dosage can be scaled back as the dog recovers (min 6 wks at full dosage) and so becomes cheaper.

Medicated baths with Malaseb shampoo or similar are important too. At least 3 baths a week with it in the first few weeks. Again, these can be scaled back with recovery, but do take care to follow the instructions carefully... It must be left on, all sudsy, for 10mins.

Calming, soothing sprays can be great for when the dog is in recovery, but gets the odd scratch and is in danger of irritating healing skin. Dermacton is good stuff, and has a lovely herbal smell!

For the same reasons, we've also used babygros and baby vests to protect healing skin from sharp claws.

Even if it's not atopic dermatitis you're dealing with, many of the above tips will surely help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Very detailed answer above. You should take on board their advice....but just my tuppence worth.
    Neighbour's bichon had same issues as yours. She started her on piriton(sp?) from local chemist. Problem sorted.

• Advertisement

heldel00 wrote: »
    Very detailed answer above. You should take on board their advice....but just my tuppence worth.
    Neighbour's bichon had same issues as yours. She started her on piriton(sp?) from local chemist. Problem sorted.

Yep, anti-histamines will certainly mask the problem in many cases, and the beauty of them is that they have few unpleasant side effects.
    BUT, I must appeal to the op and anyone else reading this thread to pleeeease check with your vet before giving your dog any otc meds, or any other meds that have not specifically been prescribed by your vet :)

Thank you so much DBB! I really appreciate the time and effort you put into that post! I will definitely be getting rid of the dry food after that, will be trying the sardines from aldi! Very good idea! Will also do the bathing three days a week for the start! I was thinking about babygros alright, excellent idea aswell. Such a shame we threw out the cone after his cancer surgery, would have been useful now!

I will keep you updated, i really appreciate it again as does the rest of my family, showed them all your post and they are all very thankful! He's like our child in this family! :)

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Hi. I've a nearly all white jack russell with the same complaints. She'd itch and scratch herself raw. It's very distressing.

We tried wheat free diet, low protein diet.... maleseb washes etc. Within 24/48 hours it'd return again.

Eventually she was put on a medication called apoquel. Works out at around €20 a month for her size she's approx 5-6 pounds. I know people say it just masks the symptoms but she's happy and content. Saves rounds of steroids when she'd get a flare up too.

La.de.da wrote: »
    Eventually she was put on a medication called apoquel. Works out at around €20 a month for her size she's approx 5-6 pounds. I know people say it just masks the symptoms but she's happy and content. Saves rounds of steroids when she'd get a flare up too.

Oh how cute, what a tiny lil dog :o Makes things much cheaper too!
    All any of the meds can do is mask the symptoms, as atopic dermatitis can't be cured. It's all about controlling that immune response, via diet (which works in many but not all situations) and/or meds, and thinking of other ways to minimise exposure to potential or known allergens. Once an owner of an itchy dog finds something that works, it really is happy days.
    OP, make sure to get the medicated shampoo to bathe her, it's prescription only :)

DBB wrote: »
    Oh how cute, what a tiny lil dog :o Makes things much cheaper too!
    All any of the meds can do is mask the symptoms, as atopic dermatitis can't be cured. It's all about controlling that immune response, via diet (which works in many but not all situations) and/or meds, and thinking of other ways to minimise exposure to potential or known allergens. Once an owner of an itchy dog finds something that works, it really is happy days.
    OP, make sure to get the medicated shampoo to bathe her, it's prescription only :)

Yeah she's tiny but fierce. Definitely a bit of a Chihuahua in her somewhere... in size and attitude :) fingers crossed she hasn't had a major flare up since the medication took effect.

OP hope you find a plan that works soon. Nothing like a happy content doggy.

Yeah she's tiny but fierce. Definitely a bit of a Chihuahua in her somewhere... in size and attitude :) fingers crossed she hasn't had a major flare up since the medication took effect.

OP hope you find a plan that works soon. Nothing like a happy content doggy.

Delighted you found something that works for you! I think now really will be the start of many different things to fix the issue for him, when we changed food first it was great for 3 months but the itchy paws slowly returned

Sardines will be being purchased tomorrow at the very least for the next 8 weeks and will be looking into Naturediet too! Delighted i decided to post on here, you have all been very kind and helpful! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

Hey guys,

I have a bichon, about 8 years old now.

Is that 8 in human years or dog years?

I have a 7 month old Shihzu Bichon cross and she does scratch. Mainly the outside of her ears and her side.

We feed her James Well Beloved (Turkey & Rice) pellets. They are supposedly hypo-allergenic & all natural. However our dog is still scratching.

That being said, she also does not like perfumes or colognes either. She starts to sneeze at these.

I have only just ordered the following from Amazon due to the good reviews regarding sensitivity & allergens for hypo-allergenic dogs.

"Flaxseed Oil for Dogs-Rich in Omega 3, 6 & 9 for Dry, Itchy Skin/Coat. A Natural Dog Supplement for Stiff Bones/Joints/Hips

Learn more: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00YDX17WK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_a47qCb9WC8Y0T "

I haven't tried it as yet but i'm hoping it may relieve some of the problems.
    The reviews seem great.

Perhaps it may provide some relief for your dog?

Hey guys,

I have attached some photos below of what I am on about after I showered him in some itchyness shampoo I purchased in petstop today (non prescription). They feel kind of like scabs and look like them, so I am assuming its cuts from itching himself a lot and biting / possibly dry skin?. One has a lot of red around it but I think thats just from him biting at it a lot. Also the picture near his private parts, the blackness (but you can also see the little red sores im on about that aren't scabby things in the center), i cant remember if that was always like that or not as I didn't pay many attention to it. The scab things range from little red sores on his chin and back to those greeny scabby sores on his chest, under armpits, belly and one on his back. One picture is kinda ew so maybe if your very squeamish? Ill put it near the bottom.

307hOBz.jpg
    wVqW8YT.jpg
    bfkTSRa.jpg
    kTLmE1w.jpg
    516KCRP.jpg
    2cxtJGn.jpg

Again thank you for your help. I purchased a baby gro and he seems to like the sardines aswell which is a plus! Some of them are hard to see in the picture because of his fur being thick, but you can make them out as they look a different colour. The third picture the scab is at the top and the second last one the scab is in the center, looks kind of greeny.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Sorry if this has already been asked but what are u feeding him?

That looks very yeasty to be honest.. which is usually diet related

Change diet, add some fish oils to his diet
    Add bone broth and kefir - great for overall health and especially the gut (helps with allergies)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Sorry just wanted to say .. take him
    Off any poultry source of protein.. mice to lamb , beef, fish etc lots of dogs have allergies to poultry

• Advertisement

cocker5 wrote: »
    Sorry just wanted to say .. nice him
    Off any poultry source of protein.. mice to lamb , beef, fish etc lots of dogs have allergies to poultry

no need to be sorry! Im taking everything on board! Interesting about you thinking it looks yeasty. I had him on royal canine hypo-allerginic nuts as the vet recommended before but have taken him off them today after realising royal canine is really a marketing gimick and the vet when you walk in has posters everywhere just for that food. Just gave him some sardines and rice today to see what he makes of it and have taken him off chicken (which he loves! but have to see everything). He never had fish before so not too sure about that. Will look into bone broth and kefir, thanks!

Poor baby. :( That looks nasty. Definitely in my opinion warrants a trip to the vet to get that inflammation under control.

Poor baby. :( That looks nasty. Definitely in my opinion warrants a trip to the vet to get that inflammation under control.

Yep looks like it. Was going to make an appointment today but said they are booked out till Wednesday so looks like that's the earliest he will be seen :( I'll try a few more vets tomorrow however

It does look yeasty, but bear in mind that only 1 in 4 affected dogs have diet-related causes to their problems.
    Changing diet can certainly help even those whose condition is not diet-related, but diet change is not a panacea. I agree completely with la.di.da that a frank and thorough chat with your vet is in order.

Hi all, just thought I'd give an update here. We have since bought him to a vet, a more independent one with no royal canine affiliations etc. He said to keep him on dry food considering the circumstances with trying other foods and while there are parts he may be allergic too, changing to the wet food may affect him too much at this point in time due to in the past making him sick. He said it did look like a food allergy and recommended us to try Glanbia Gain dry dog food and to also mix that in with some sardines including their oil which we have been doing (not every day but every 2/3 days). His skin also feels smoother and the blackness is fading away.

So far he is miles better! While he still scratches, he no longer is biting his paws off, they have returned to being white instead of pink. That very bad part in his armpit is basically gone. There's still a small but on his chest in belly but they are miles better. He isn't wet anywhere from biting besides one part on his tail which still isn't great but is improving. It's great not to see him biting his paws off though! He adores the sardines and mackerel and isn't missing his chicken and bread crusts because if it thankfully (though he still walks over when he smells them).

Any improvement is better then nothing though and hopefully he keeps improving! Thanks for your help on here! My new veg anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Youredeadright

Good to hear your pup is doing better. My last fella had serious issues with redness in his paws. After trying lots of stuff, including diet changes that had very little effect, I started doing a fair bit of research on it. The thing that solved it was nizoral anti-dandruff shampoo. The improvements were almost overnight and the itchiness, redness and licking disappeared completed after a few weeks of this. Best of luck.

Advertisement