Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Decking

Options
  • 20-01-2019 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭

We had pre existing decking in our house on purchase which is starting to rot.

What would people recommend with regards to removing it.

Is it a DIY job or are there companies who offer this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Find a neighbor down wind of you who has a wood burner and tell him he can have it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

my3cents wrote: »
    Find a neighbor down wind of you who has a wood burner and tell him he can have it for free.

I mean more the taking apart of it. Is a sledgehammer the way to go?

Thanks btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I mean more the taking apart of it. Is a sledgehammer the way to go?

Thanks btw

Anyone with a wood burner will take it off your hands (remove it themselves). It's a simple demolition job. If it's rotting just pull it up. A saw of some description will help (depending on how retten it is any aul yoke will do.

Depending on the size of the decking it shouldn't be a long job (certainly wouldnt pay someone to do it for me no skills required!)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It really depends on the way the deck is built and what you propose to do with the sledgehammer. It should be possible for you to take it apart, but you would be better approaching it systematically rather than randomly hitting it. Take off hand rails and remove uprights. Remove anything that was put on as a 'trim' to cover ends of planks. Use a crowbar to ease up decking planks, remove or flatten screws or nails as you go - don't leave a random heap of timber with sharp things sticking out of them for you or one of the family to step on. Knock out structural frame, break off/dig up uprights. Don't try and burn it, it will be both damp and full of chemicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Anyone with a wood burner will take it off your hands (remove it themselves). It's a simple demolition job. If it's rotting just pull it up. A saw of some description will help (depending on how retten it is any aul yoke will do.

Depending on the size of the decking it shouldn't be a long job (certainly wouldnt pay someone to do it for me no skills required!)

Not always skills you pay for sometimes it's just a case of labour you pay for, having taken up some decking last year I would certainly consider paying a labourer if I wanted and could afford.

Anyways, power driver, power saw, crowbar, hammer, decent work gloves and a determination not to be beaten by screws that refuse to budge or round off will sort it, crowbar was essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Not always skills you pay for sometimes it's just a case of labour you pay for, having taken up some decking last year I would certainly consider paying a labourer if I wanted and could afford.

Anyways, power driver, power saw, crowbar, hammer, decent work gloves and a determination not to be beaten by screws that refuse to budge or round off will sort it, crowbar was essential.

And if you have an aversion to spiders, woodlice, mice etc. maybe a labourer is a definite go to.

Also forgot you will need a decent yard brush, amazing how much dirt accumulated under my decking.

Advertisement