Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Private health care, tax, medical/dental expenses?

• 20-01-2019 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello,

I typically use a middleman agency to claim my tax but this year I decided to educate myself to do it.
    I'm still waiting on my p60 - I will use that to claim any overpaid tax via the PAYE website on Revenue.
    I can't wrap my head around my employer provided health care or my dental care (funded by me).

A few questions.

- If my employer pays and provides me with private health care, can I claim tax back on it or is that my employers money?

- I read you can claim back mental/dental expenses but with private dental/medical care does that null that or how does it work?

- If I wish to claim back medical or dental care expenses I need physical receipts?

Your replies are sincerely appreciated.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

You can claim back 20% on the employer health insurance to a max of €200

You can claim tax back on the portion of the bills that weren't covered by your health policy

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

You can't claim 20% tax back on health insurance if your employer pays this for you already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

Re dental you need to get med 2 of dentist to claim. Re medical you can claim for expenses you pay (those that are not covered by med insurance) even if neighbours bills. Retain receipts. You can upload them on paye anytime now though.

Re

- If my employer pays and provides me with private health care, can I claim tax back on it or is that my employers money?

Answer is no

quote="thisnoize7;109189913"]Hello,

I typically always use a middleman agency to claim my tax but this year I decided to educate myself to do it.
    I'm still waiting on my p60 - I will use that to claim any overpaid tax via the PAYE website on Revenue.
    I can't wrap my head around my employer provided health care or my dental care (funded by me).

A few questions.

- I read you can claim back mental/dental expenses but with private dental/medical care does that null that or how does it work?

- If I wish to claim back medical or dental care expenses I need physical receipts?

Your replies are sincerely appreciated.
    Thank you.[/quote]

You can claim the 20%, it's applied automatically on consumer policies but employer funded it isn't and is available to be claimed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

Apologies I stand corrected
    You can claim the 20%, it's applied automatically on consumer policies but employer funded it isn't and is available to be claimed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Just a note that only non routine dental expenses can be claimed against (root canal etc would be eligible, but fillings, extractions, cleaning or regular check ups not).

• Registered Users Posts: 13 thisnoize7

Ok guys, evidently there are mixed answers so in the meantime I have contacted the provider directly to elaborate on what I can claim - if anything.
    Thanks for that.

If you personally visited the dentist or GP over the past few years and never kept your receipts is it possible for them to provide you with all of those invoices/receipts?

If I used a third party to claim my tax; are they claiming these dental/medical expenses already or are these claims completely seperate to the PRSI, PAYE and USC claims that are disclosed in your p20?

Provider will generally just send you a standard response advising to contact Revenue.

GP/Dentist should be able to provide you with copies of receipts.

• Advertisement

Provider will generally just send you a standard response advising to contact Revenue.

GP/Dentist should be able to provide you with copies of receipts.

You have been most helpful Brian.

One last question if possible please.
    Is there a time frame that I cannot claim back from? 4-5 years ago?

4 years as far as I know but not 100% on that.

Definitely 4 year time limit.

Is it possible for me to get my GP to send me on documentation or an invoice of all the GP visits that I paid for if I don't physically have a copy?
    The GP does not have an email facility that I'm aware of.

I assume that I can't claim any prescriptions unless I kept the receipts or is it possible to contact the pharmacies?
    Is there any information on my legal rights as a consumer to get this information?

Thank you.

The pharmacies can give you a print out of what you spent over the year.

Advertisement