Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house and my cat

Options
  • 15-01-2019 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

My parents are moving house in a couple of weeks and I have some questions about my 5 year old cat (Neutered).
    They currently live in the country side and although my cat is very friendly and likes being inside, she is mostly an outdoor cat and loves wandering through the fields, she doesnt go too far as she always comes back when called and is kept inside at night time but she has a few favourite fields she likes to go to and if she cant get outside during the day she can become quite distressed.

The new house is in town, although there is a very large garden and lots of space for her to wander around I have a few concerns.

1. Im worried about how she will settle into the new environment. How long, roughly could it take for an adult cat to adjust to new surroundings?

2. Im worried about her wandering/getting lost, the outside space, although large, is very open, meaning she could easily wander out of the garden and onto the near by street. This could be very distressing for her as she's not used to urban areas. (lots of people, cars etc)

3. The neighbor has a dog who often wanders and has been known to chase cats.

I cant take her as I have recently moved into a tiny apartment and im at work most of the day, she would be miserable.
    Obviously she will have to be kept inside for the first couple of weeks until she adjusts but im hoping someone here can give me tips or advice on how I can make the transition easier for her and how I can keep her safe. Im intending to stay at my parents house to help her adjust. She's always been very attached to me so im hoping me being there will be of some comfort.

Ive considered bringing her down to the new house a couple of times before the move but car journeys stress her out and to add to this I don't want her to associate the new house with feelings of distress.

Any advice or tips would be really appreciated,
    Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Keep her in for a while and then manage her outside for a while.
    We did similar years ago and the cat adjusted to city living quiet happily. Once she knows where she gets fed she'll come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Can you get her to walk on a lead?

Else as the above poster says. Cats are not stupid! Always make sure she can get back in eg a small, accessible window always open.

Make sure you have her usual bed and bedding.

She will be fine; we have moved many times and they get used to a new place very quickly . Even my three new street cats. I kept them in between 2 and 3 weeks and worried myself silly when I first let them out but they came back and always do.

You are her home.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Teapot30

Thanks for the responses, I was considering getting her a lead but she wont even wear a collar. Im sure she will adjust eventually, I supposed im most concerned about causing her stress with the move and the neighbors dog. I know she isnt stupid but she is very timid around strangers and other animals, if anyone even walks past my parents house and she's outside she runs and hides behind the dust bin, being chased by a dog could traumatise her and the thoughts of her being caught by the dog is a nightmare to think about.

Keeping an accessible window open is something I hadnt considered and is a great idea. Ill keep that in mind.

Thanks again. x

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

Teapot30 wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses, I was considering getting her a lead but she wont even wear a collar. Im sure she will adjust eventually, I supposed im most concerned about causing her stress with the move and the neighbors dog. I know she isnt stupid but she is very timid around strangers and other animals, if anyone even walks past my parents house and she's outside she runs and hides behind the dust bin, being chased by a dog could traumatise her and the thoughts of her being caught by the dog is a nightmare to think about.

Keeping an accessible window open is something I hadnt considered and is a great idea. Ill keep that in mind.

Thanks again. x

I would definately try and get her to wear a collar if she’s going outside in an urban area. Otherwise someone could think she’s a stray and start feeding her/adopt her.
    Try and keep her inside for at least 3 months in the new house, especially over the dark winter evenings. The more time she has to settle in and recognise her immediate environment (house), the easier it will be for her to find her way home when she’s allowed out. And always, always bribe with food when she comes back home safely. That way she’ll associate returning home with something positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

How did the move go for your pets?
    Any further advice?
    How do you stop creatures other than your own coming in the open window?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Teapot30

How did the move go for your pets?
    Any further advice?
    How do you stop creatures other than your own coming in the open window?

Thanks for the replies everyone, just an update, a year on, my parents moved a year ago now and cat was quite distressed, hid under a bed for a week and wouldnt come out, we had to put her food, litter tray and water under the bed with her.
    Eventually she came out and started venturing around the house, within a week after leaving under the bed she was outside exploring, always came back when called and never wandered too far. She settled in just fine and loves her new home. There was nothing to worry about.

Thanks again everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭acequion

Delighted to see a happy ending there and your obvious love for your little pet.

Of course you'd be worried. They are creatures of habit and we only want them safe, happy and well. And your little one is. :)

Advertisement