Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a car into Ireland from the UK - insurance

Options
  • 10-01-2019 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I would be grateful if anyone could guide me.

I’ve just committed to buying a car in London and have organised for the car to be transported to my door in Dublin.

I’ve everything sorted apart from the insurance end of things.

The car is insured until it reaches my door. I’ve been on a fleet policy for 18 years with work and have recently left the organisation so I’ve no insurance policy in Ireland that I can do a temporary transfer.

Is there an insurance company that will insure the car on an English reg in Ireland while I get the VRT situation sorted which I believe can take 30 days and then continue on with the Irish reg once VRT is paid.

There are insurance companies that will insure you for 30 days but you have to be a UK resident which doesn’t work obviously.

This is all completely new to me so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would say a Broker would be your first point of call. They can arrange things that may be problematic when dealing directly with insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Niallo28

I've tried a number of them any they dont seem to have a solution to the issue. The sticking point seems to be that i've never had my own policy before.

It's fairly straight forward if you have your own policy here as you can transfer it across for 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Silly question, maybe: but without a record, irrespective of the UK reg, how have you determined you can get insurance here at all ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement