Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Printing

Options
  • 08-01-2019 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

After getting a decent photo printer over the Christmas I was wondering if anyone else on here prints at home and would they like to share their preferences(papers) and experiences?
    After just getting the printer and getting a loan of a Spyder 5 Pro to calibrate my screen it's very satisfying to print your images just after processing. Lots to experiment with i.e papers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Hi George

I use an Epson Sure Color P800 for all my printing. I have never had a photo printed "professionally" so can't make a comparison. However, I haven't had a single complaint or criticism of print quality in the last few years so I must be doing something right.

One of the main reasons I print myself is that I have total control of how the finished image looks - size, paper, etc. And I believe it works out cheaper as I print quite a bit (200-300 A3 images per annum).

As long as I use genuine ink (never "compatibles") and good quality paper its reliable and predictable.

As for papers, I most use PermaJet and the odd bit of Canson. I buy nearly all of it in Gunne's of Camden Street.

As to what type of paper, it depends on the image. I save the more expensive paper (around €3 per A3 sheet) for prints I sell or serious competition. Otherwise I tend to use PermaJet Oyster.

I'd use more Ultra Matt paper if it wasn't for the fact that the Epson's tend to swap black inks when I use them. This can be quite wastefull.

As for the screen calibration I find the Spyder Pro 5 to be great - I just don't use it enough (I should do it every month).

One thing I found out quickly is that I need to brighten images before I print them, usually by 30 in Photoshop.

Make sure that "Photoshop Manages Colour" is selected when printing and that you always use the correct ICC profiles for the paper/ink/printer combination.

And watch out for paper misfeeds when using heavier paper - you usually cannot use the sheet feeder for this.

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

Hi George

I use an Epson Sure Color P800 for all my printing. I have never had a photo printed "professionally" so can't make a comparison. However, I haven't had a single complaint or criticism of print quality in the last few years so I must be doing something right.

One of the main reasons I print myself is that I have total control of how the finished image looks - size, paper, etc. And I believe it works out cheaper as I print quite a bit (200-300 A3 images per annum).

As long as I use genuine ink (never "compatibles") and good quality paper its reliable and predictable.

As for papers, I most use PermaJet and the odd bit of Canson. I buy nearly all of it in Gunne's of Camden Street.

As to what type of paper, it depends on the image. I save the more expensive paper (around €3 per A3 sheet) for prints I sell or serious competition. Otherwise I tend to use PermaJet Oyster.

I'd use more Ultra Matt paper if it wasn't for the fact that the Epson's tend to swap black inks when I use them. This can be quite wastefull.

As for the screen calibration I find the Spyder Pro 5 to be great - I just don't use it enough (I should do it every month).

One thing I found out quickly is that I need to brighten images before I print them, usually by 30 in Photoshop.

Make sure that "Photoshop Manages Colour" is selected when printing and that you always use the correct ICC profiles for the paper/ink/printer combination.

And watch out for paper misfeeds when using heavier paper - you usually cannot use the sheet feeder for this.

Adrian
    Hi Adrian,
    Thanks for replying with such in-depth answer much appreciated, It's a steep learning curve but enjoyable.

George

Advertisement