Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Fight You ever Seen

• 27-07-2005 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭

As the title says ... what is the best fight you ever seen (not the greatest fight of all time, because that is dependent on your age, and open to massive debate) ?

I'm looking for the fight that left you in wonderment !

To get ball rolling :)

The best fight that I can remember seeing is Marvellous Marvin Hagler V Sugar Ray Leonard.

Both fighters were at their peak, a clash of two styles,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PJG

I'd have to say
    Collins V Eubank in Mill St Cork

It was more of a scrap than a boxing match. To see Eubank arrive into Mill St on his harley and then get his ass kicked, excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

PJG wrote:
    I'd have to say
    Collins V Eubank in Mill St Cork

It was more of a scrap than a boxing match. To see Eubank arrive into Mill St on his harley and then get his ass kicked, excellent.

agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I couldn't call it the best fight but the most brutal and memorable (maybe for the wrong reasons) fight I ever saw was Nigel Benn vs Gerald McClellan in 1995. I remember watching it and actually fearing for Benn's life in the early rounds such was the ferocity of McClellan early on. Benn somehow kept going and for several rounds the fight was the most brutal, exciting battle I've ever seen. Then in IIRC the 10th round McClellan suddenly got into trouble and dropped to his knees. Quickly it became apparent that it was an extremely serious situation. McClellan was treated at ringside and rushed to hospital, quick medical action saved his life but sadly he was left permanently disabled and blind. The fight was a reminder of the dangers of boxing and the bravery of the warriors that step into the ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,660 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Culchie, not slagging you but seriously, that was a very boring fight with Leonard running for 12rds against the slow pondering Hagler to 'eak' out a dull decision. Here's a few....Leonard V Hearns 1, Pryor V Arguello 1, Gatti V Ward 1,2 and 3, Ali V Frazier 1, Tyson V Pinklon Thomas, Hagler V Hearns, James Toney V Michael Nunn, Leonard V Duran 1, McGuigan V Pedroza.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

BrianD3 wrote:
    Nigel Benn vs Gerald McClellan in 1995.

ditto...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

walshb wrote:
    Culchie, not slagging you but seriously, that was a very boring fight with Leonard running for 12rds against the slow pondering Hagler to 'eak' out a dull decision. Here's a few....Leonard V Hearns 1, Pryor V Arguello 1, Gatti V Ward 1,2 and 3, Ali V Frazier 1, Tyson V Pinklon Thomas, Hagler V Hearns, James Toney V Michael Nunn, Leonard V Duran 1, McGuigan V Pedroza.......

Must have been the beer I was stealing sips from my dad's pint then :D

Have to admit I was only a child, but very memorable, so I will bow to your knowledge. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,660 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Culchie, no problem...it's your opinion and I have to admit as far as a spectacle goes it was the biggest fight in history outside of the heavyweight division, so the experts claim anyway. It's just that both fighters were not at their peak and to be honest I thought Hagler fought a very suspect fight. Remember, Ray ws fighting him after 3.5 yrs out of the ring and he was moving up in weight to face Hagler, who was considered to be a real savage. Hagler looked pathetic in the fight and almost novice like. Also the huge sum of money involved adds to the suspect fight. Leonard was a true welter legend, but Middle was not his natural weight. Hagler's legacy suffered a lot due to that performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

A really great fight which always sticks in my mind as a cracker was Morales Vs Barrera 1, what a fight & then the 2 lunatics go and do it again another 2 times over.

Just on Mickey Ward I think every fight he had was a tear-up but the trilogy againist gatti was great - also the fight againist Shea Neary was class too.

Another great domestic fight which I only seen recently on boxing gold was the tear-up between Michael Brodie Vs Neil Swain.

But Morales & Barrera gets my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭snakeater

A recent fight that was absolutely brilliant was Corrales v Castillo last May. For Corrales to turn the fight around like that was really class.That was one of the best fights I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 greysquirel

Have to agree walshb, gatti vs ward trilogy was a slug fest, gatti always had some heart!! A true warrior!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Benn McClellan what a scorcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

aside from the ones already mentioned (ward v gatti in praticular) i would have to say the first two bowe vs. holyfield fights, i was amazed to see holyfield out on his feet but hang in there for a couple of minutes and then be back on full form, he must have mutant healing powers like wolverine from the x-men :)

it was unfortunate that some idiot parachuted onto bowes pregnant wife in the second one though :mad: im still yet to see the third one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

I really enjoyed watching Arthur vs Gomez, that was pure class. I don't like Arthur much and I was loving it when Gomez beat him. McGuigan and Watt both said it was the best fight they had seen on Sky.

I like watching Clay-Liston just to marvel at how good the young Ali was.

Also I think Tyson Holyfield one was class.

http://www.mmanews.com/other/hoyhoy/

website to some excellent fights

Been watching some great fights all weekend
    Ward Gatti 1 & 3
    Gatti Mayweather
    Tszyz Hatton
    Hearns Hagler

efb wrote:
    http://www.mmanews.com/other/hoyhoy/

website to some excellent fights

Been watching some great fights all weekend
    Ward Gatti 1 & 3
    Gatti Mayweather
    Tszyz Hatton
    Hearns Hagler

Good man! Best link EVER!

Im living in internet cafes watching these fights!

efb wrote:
    Im living in internet cafes watching these fights!
    I'm watching Hatton v Tszyu. All the best fights are there, it's actually too good :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Watson v Eubank

Swung back and fortha nd ended up with Watson sadly never to fight again due to the damage he suffered... an unbelievable fight - think it was about 1990?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

BrianD3 wrote:
    Nigel Benn vs Gerald McClellan in 1995.

Same here, downloaded it recently - christ it was brutal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

MBC wrote:
    But Morales & Barrera gets my vote.

This also gets my vote , although I am fairly young and my boxing memeory only dates back to 2000/1 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

snakeater wrote:
    A recent fight that was absolutely brilliant was Corrales v Castillo last May. For Corrales to turn the fight around like that was really class.That was one of the best fights I've seen.

Great shout snakeater!
    For those of you who are true boxing fans...YOU MUST SEE THIS FIGHT....it happened earlier this year...a truly great fight....the best i've ever seen...and skysports pundits rate it in their top three of all time....
    I think it can be purchased of ebay quite cheaply(they're usually copies!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

jobless wrote:
    Great shout snakeater!
    For those of you who are true boxing fans...YOU MUST SEE THIS FIGHT....it happened earlier this year...a truly great fight....the best i've ever seen...and skysports pundits rate it in their top three of all time....
    I think it can be purchased of ebay quite cheaply(they're usually copies!)

http://www.mmanews.com/other/hoyhoy/Boxing%20-%20Diego%20Corrales%20Vs%20Jose%20Luis%20Castillo%20(05.07.05).mpg

This???

A Cracker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

good action. :D

The guy in the red landed some good punches. What was the other guy doing trying to pull the guy in the reds shirt off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mandub

was on SKY. Their first fight.
    Just a small hall UK fight but they fought their hearts out and it ended with Ayers asking the ref to stop it to save Rigby from more punishment (which he did). A great advert for boxing and sportsmanship.
    Recently - Corrales/Castillo, same sort of thing. Amazing guts. Would rather they didn't fight again. Not necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 thebuyer

Showing my age here but the best fight I ever saw was in the eighties ; Herol Graham v Mark Kaylor. I know it probably does'nt have the star profile of some of the fights already mentioned but to my mind this bout illustrated the artistry and science of boxing. Graham was superb. I sat awe struck looking at this man who could literally hit at will and barely took a punch against a very tough opponent for eight spectacular rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭doug1970

i would agree that watson-eubank are among my favourite fights, pity what happened.....watson also had a great fight losing to mike mc callum.
    ....the obvious great fights i suppose would be ali - frazier, robinson - la motta, leonard - duran, hagler- hearns, marciano - ezzard charles {brutal} -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Fidelista

There are three fights i like to remember ,Morrales v Barrera 1, for the machismo and suicidal recklessness of both fighters. Morrales is my fav fighter of all time but i think he was lucky to get the decision (although he was robbed in the rematch).
    The 2nd fight that sticks out is Holyfield Tyson 2. Absolutely crazy, but what a spectacle. I remember goin to bed around 6 still reeling, my brother was half asleep and asked who won. "Holyfield won, Tyson bit his ear off". In all fairness how often do you get to say things like that? Yes it was a disgrace but it was also really funny.
    However, my favourite fight was Felix Trinidad V Fernando Vargas. Started with a bang, Finished with a bang. Lots of skill, heart and knockdowns. Trinidads shot to knock down Vargas for the second time in the 12th round is in my opinion the greatest single punch ever thrown. Every time i see it i laugh. Vargas thought he was the big man around that time, calling out other fighters. Im glad Tito took him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭barrera

Well, as my online name suggests, I'm a bit of a fan so Barrera v Morales I is so class - I watch it every couple of months.

Also - Gatti v Ruelas, a five-round bloodbath from a few years back.

Benn v McLellan - extraordinary. Did someone say they downloaded it from somewhere? Do you have the link?

Barrera v Hamed - not a great fight, but such a great moment seeing Naseem taught a boxing lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Jack Dempsey v Jess Willard, 1st Round sees a 6'6" 245lb World Champion knocked down seven times, 3+ broken ribs, broken jaw, broken nose, several teeth knocked out, both eye swollen shut. The fight managed to last 3 rounds before the Willard can't get up from his stool for the 4th round.

The Rumble in the Jungle was my favourite fight until I recently saw that fight. My jaw was on the floor watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Dempsey V Willard was simply a one sided beating of a very brave man .
    Entertaining to watch but surely you would think a competitive fight would be the best fight ever .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

A one sided fight he wasn't suppose to win or come close to. I suppose its the most brutal fight I saw.

The Rumble i regard as brilliant also Ali v Frazier.

Recently, Del La Hoya v Mosley. The two of them just standing toe to toe and slugging each other had me out of my seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭MikeTyson

The thrilla in manilla! tyson v holyfield. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dirtdrifter

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I couldn't call it the best fight but the most brutal and memorable (maybe for the wrong reasons) fight I ever saw was Nigel Benn vs Gerald McClellan in 1995. I remember watching it and actually fearing for Benn's life in the early rounds such was the ferocity of McClellan early on. Benn somehow kept going and for several rounds the fight was the most brutal, exciting battle I've ever seen. Then in IIRC the 10th round McClellan suddenly got into trouble and dropped to his knees. Quickly it became apparent that it was an extremely serious situation. McClellan was treated at ringside and rushed to hospital, quick medical action saved his life but sadly he was left permanently disabled and blind. The fight was a reminder of the dangers of boxing and the bravery of the warriors that step into the ring.

The hype beforehand too
    What McClennan was going to do to Benn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

The best fight I ever saw was Duran vs Leonard #1. Just two elites at the top of their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Jesus this thread came back from the dead! 13 years old.

The best fight I saw live was Barrera v Morales III, although not the best of the trilogy it was still a cracking scrap. Followed by Hamed v Medina in the Point Depot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

I enjoy when these posts come up as it gets me thinking of lots of fights I haven't thought of in years. Interestingly my idea of the best fight I have ever seen would probably change fairly often, there's been so many & it depends on what one enjoys.

Many of the best have been mentioned already. Hagler-Hearns was just class.
    Corrales-Castillo always comes to mind.
    Tapia-Ayala was a great dust up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Toney v Jirov was a right tear up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Benn/McClellan was unforgettable. The documentary on YouTube is a very tough but worthwhile watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Any modern day ones to throw in there?

Loved Khan v Maidana myself, brilliant drama, Klitschko v Joshua was great as well. The Pacman v Marquez fights, Vazquez v Marquez (3 fights).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Boooourns wrote: »
    Any modern day ones to throw in there?

Bradley - Provodnikov

What a fight. Will never forget Provodnikov calling for his Mother at the end of the fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Corrales vs Castillo

Morales vs Barrera 1

Marquez vs Pacman 4

Bradley vs Provodnikov

Macklin vs Moore

Those are the top 5 i have seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,966 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Aside from the obvious candidates, already mentioned

Eubank v Watson -

Mainly due it being the first boxing match I ever watched, and because of how it unfolded.
    Benn V Eubank 1
    Eubank v Thompson
    Haye v Mormeck
    Brezeale v Ugnogh
    Paschal v Froch

Advertisement