Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Garden Bird Survey 2018/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

They are around all year and we get sizable flocks here in the garden from time to time (as many as 60 but usually 10 or 12). They travel about a lot and don't hang about in any one location for long. Not a visitor to the feeding stations but they come to the birch trees mostly.

There are some birch bedside me that seems to draw LTTs- they work their way up each branch- and eventually they go from the birch to my feeders where they feed from the peanut feeders and the suet blocks. No interest in nyjer or other seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

Just had a male Blackcap in the garden eating the tiny olives from the Olive tree. I haven't seen one for maybe two years in the garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A reminder, folks, keep those feeders and birdbaths good and clean at this time of year.

The garden is awash with birds right now. Averaging 18 species per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

First Siskin spotted at the feeders - don't normally see them until the spring!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Goldfinches, goldfinches everywhere.

• Advertisement

My top bird is still the chaffinches - 19 counted at the feeders (and underneath) this week!
    But the second is the goldfinches on 12
    and this weeks newcomers at last count 3 siskin, with 1 bullfinch spotted in the bushes, I am waiting patiently for the greenfinch to make an appearance.

Pretzill wrote: »
    My top bird is still the chaffinches - 19 counted at the feeders (and underneath) this week!
    But the second is the goldfinches on 12
    and this weeks newcomers at last count 3 siskin, with 1 bullfinch spotted in the bushes, I am waiting patiently for the greenfinch to make an appearance.

Siskins popped up here yesterday too. 32 goldfinches was the high count.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I had my first Siskins this week too - wasn't really expecting them for another few weeks yet.

A Sparrowhawk soaring above the garden was the highlight this week though. I suspect we have a local bird, but rarely get to see it!

Had a Redpoll in the garden today and the Blackcap is still sticking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

don't think i've seen a greenfinch this winter..are they're numbers down due to a parasite?

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    don't think i've seen a greenfinch this winter..are they're numbers down due to a parasite?

I don't normally see them until nearer nesting time -

21 species last week think that's my best record.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

spotted a blackcap (or two) in the garden for the first time in years. feeding on the aphids on the purple sprouting broccoli too.

Spotted a brambling among all the chaffinches! The wintry showers are bringing a host of birds to the feeders and underneath.

bramblings were mentioned on bbc's winterwatch tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭OwlEye

Woodpecker at the peanuts again this morning.

well personally speaking..the variety of birds visiting my feeder this winter has been disappointing...plenty of tits > cole, blue and great, plenty of robins, chaffinchs, goldfiches and tree sparrows and thats about it really

no greenfinches, no blackcaps, no bullfinches, no long tail tits, no wrens ..like there was in previous winters :confused:

(east-clare)

well personally speaking..the variety of birds visiting my feeder this winter has been disappointing...plenty of tits > cole, blue and great, plenty of robins, chaffinchs, goldfiches and tree sparrows and thats about it really

no greenfinches, no blackcaps, no bullfinches, no long tail tits, no wrens ..like there was in previous winters :confused:

(east-clare)

If you have tree sparrows, it more than makes up for the others.

Nothing spectacular here but I get a greater variety usually in late spring here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tree sparrows? aren't they relatively rare?

whoops; got in late there.

Just had an update from BTO and even they say "The late winter period can also bring in many treats for the garden birdwatcher, including more sightings of birds such as Siskin, Reed Bunting and Yellowhammer. " So not too late yet, by far, for the less common garden birds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭11James11

(east-clare)

I am in west Clare and have nearly the same species as you visiting apart from the tree sparrows but I have plenty of house sparrows instead and have about 10 Green finches visiting daily.Its nearly always late February and early March before I see any siskins or redpolls at the feeders here

If you have tree sparrows, it more than makes up for the others.

oops sorry, house sparrows :o

oh btw...no willy wagtails, which is very odd

oops sorry, house sparrows :o

oh btw...no willy wagtails, which is very odd

That makes more sense.

I'll have pair of Pied Wagtails, plus juveniles, in the garden right through the summer but only an odd one (maybe one per month) in winter.

There were lots of grey wagtails here late last year but haven't seen any through the bird count.
    Have been lucky to see pied wagtails, Wren, Robin, bullfinch, chaffinch, goldfinch, brambling, Siskin, blue tit and coal, great - dunnocks, blackbird, songthrush, raven, rooks, hooded crows, wood pigeon, magpies, sparrowhawk, and more (flying over)

Counted 32 chaffinches today -.I think we may be one of few locally who put out feeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Rosahane

That makes more sense.

I'll have pair of Pied Wagtails, plus juveniles, in the garden right through the summer but only an odd one (maybe one per month) in winter.

I have never had a pied wagtail visit the back garden, yet have habitually had them at the front of the house. We live in a housing estate cul de sac with a green in the centre.

Rosahane wrote: »
    I have never had a pied wagtail visit the back garden, yet have habitually had them at the front of the house. We live in a housing estate cul de sac with a green in the centre.

Pied Wagtails have a liking for hard surfaces rather than grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Pied Wagtails have a liking for hard surfaces rather than grass.

Makes sense, they like the mealworms I leave out for them when they are around.

I see a report today on garden birds observed participating in competitive interactions at bird feeders in Britain. The pecking order in decreasing dominance was;

House Sparrow
    Greenfinch
    Nuthatch
    Robin
    Goldfinch
    Great Tit
    Dunnock
    Chaffinch
    Blue Tit
    Coal Tit.

One or two surprised me, as it's not what I see here (e.g. Dunnock making the list at all) but it was a sizable study.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I see a report today on garden birds observed participating in competitive interactions at bird feeders in Britain. The pecking order in decreasing dominance was;

House Sparrow
    Greenfinch
    Nuthatch
    Robin
    Goldfinch
    Great Tit
    Dunnock
    Chaffinch
    Blue Tit
    Coal Tit.

One or two surprised me, as it's not what I see here (e.g. Dunnock making the list at all) but it was a sizable study.

Hmmmm. I would have put Goldfinch at the top of the list based on my own observations. They quickly dislodge all other species on the sunflower heart feeder Of course we don't have Nuthatches here, Greenfinches are scarce and the Robins don't use that feeder but the House Sparrows give way to the Goldies in my garden..

• Advertisement

Goldfinches are like an infestation.

No starlings on the list?

Advertisement