Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

S-Town (from Serial team)

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

optogirl wrote: »
    could have been 1 or 2 very good This American Life episodes -they dragged the p*ss out of it

I couldn't believe it when it ended. I was waiting and waiting for something to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Why didn't the town clerk contact all the names on his list?

Did some cops simply robs his gold from the freezer?

That the man didn't leave a will suggested he'd some elaborate plan for his estate. I was expecting all or at least some of the details to be uncovered over the later podcasts.

It all made for very interesting listening and even though it didn't develop the way I'd hoped there was still quite an interesting human story in there about a conflicted genius.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've listened to 3. The end of 2 was pretty shattering.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I finished this on holidays in May. It was interesting, but I wouldn't really hold it up there with best. podcasts. eva. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Enjoyed it. Jon B was like the real life ignatius J Reilly from the book 'A Confederacy of Dunces'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Brian Reed is going to be in the Bord Gais theatre in September to discuss the podcast, if anyone is interested.

http://bordgaisenergytheatre.ie/news-article/s-towns-brian-reed-to-come-to-bord-gais-energy-theatre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    People are entitled to their opinions but I thought it was a really interesting and thought-provoking story. Thought it did a really good job in showing the complexity of human life and how it's so important to make every day that we're around count towards something. Certainly got me thinking anyway.

Yeah, it had the same effect on me I have to say. He was a really interesting person and I could have listened to him talk for hours on the many subjects that he was very knowledgeable about.

It did become more of a biography about him, which I didn't mind in terms of the change of direction. I can see why some people might not have like it in comparison to Serial 1 & 2.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm late to the party, but on the last episode of this and was curious what others thought so read the thread.

Unfortunately the show has disappointed me so far, and I think it's unlikely to redeem itself in the final episode based on what I've read. I thought this was going to be good after listening to the first episode, and then at the end of the second episode I thought it was going to be the same sort of true crime investigation but with a different subject, but then it just descended into an autobiography, and a very long, drawn out one at that.

I think the editing was a bit meh. Too many recordings of conversations that go on for too long, I think Reed could have summarised things more to speed things along. Some episodes are a bit much (
    an hour talking about how John was gay is a bit much
    ).

None of the interesting questions that arise get answered. None of the mystery gets solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭norabattie

awec wrote: »
    I'm late to the party, but on the last episode of this and was curious what others thought so read the thread.

Unfortunately the show has disappointed me so far, and I think it's unlikely to redeem itself in the final episode based on what I've read. I thought this was going to be good after listening to the first episode, and then at the end of the second episode I thought it was going to be the same sort of true crime investigation but with a different subject, but then it just descended into an autobiography, and a very long, drawn out one at that.

I think the editing was a bit meh. Too many recordings of conversations that go on for too long, I think Reed could have summarised things more to speed things along. Some episodes are a bit much (
    an hour talking about how John was gay is a bit much
    ).

None of the interesting questions that arise get answered. None of the mystery gets solved.

I personally disagree . I loved it. Yeah it didn't go as it was supposed to, but I found it so interesting and sad, this insight into a gay man in that part of America.

• Advertisement

retrospectively looking back at this I think that it is one of the best pieces of podcasting out there.

very unique in that the circumstances unveiled in a particular way throughout the making of it and the way that the narrator and producers handled it.

great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Anyone seen the tv series of this?

emc2 wrote: »
    Anyone seen the tv series of this?

talk of being made into a movie. haven't heard anything about a tv series.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jun/14/s-town-the-movie-is-bringing-the-podcast-to-the-big-screen-a-good-idea

would agree with the article - can't see it working really.

the podcast makers are being sued by McLemore's estate

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2018/jul/18/makers-of-s-town-podcast-sued-by-subjects-estate

they must have never found those gold bars!

Advertisement