Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collecting/Investing in Antique Jewellery

Options
  • 22-10-2018 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice, please.

I've always had a bit of a passion for antique jewellery, I have a small collection of pieces that I inherited from my grandmother, gifts from my family and in recent times I made a few purchases of my own.

Up until now, I have mainly purchased from a family friend who is a well known and reputable antique dealer. He has always been very fair to me.

However, I would really like to educate myself instead of having to rely on someone else's knowledge.

I would like to be able to
    * accurately date jewellery,
    * know more about the carat, colour, cut, clarity of diamonds,
    * what makes a good ruby, emerald and sapphire etc.
    * know how to value stones - (i.e what to pay for a 1 Carat D colour v 1 Carat I colour diamond etc.)

Are there courses available in Ireland I could take? Or books on this subject?

In terms of investment, does antique jewellery make for a good investment?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks :)

Advertisement