Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fear of sedation and loss of control

• 13-09-2018 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

I've been referred for a colonoscopy but I have a bit of a phobia about sedation (I guess it's a control thing, same reason I don't drink and never have). Does anyone know if it's possible to get one without sedation or would that be a really bad idea? Perhaps this is a phobia I need to just get over, particularly as IVF may be in my near future and again I'm avoiding that because of the sedation used during egg retrieval. Any tips on how to handle this?

Comments

I have no tips unfortunately but I have the very opposite problem. I have been referred for one and have been told that sedation is not an option for me and that is terrifying me. Fancy a swap :)

I think you should just remember that the doctor has your best interests in hand and it's only a 15 minute procedure. You'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Gaeilgeoir

I have no tips unfortunately but I have the very opposite problem. I have been referred for one and have been told that sedation is not an option for me and that is terrifying me. Fancy a swap :)

I think you should just remember that the doctor has your best interests in hand and it's only a 15 minute procedure. You'll be fine.

Eeek! Do they think you'd react badly to the sedation or why can't you have it? I came across one guy who seems to get them regularly and prefers not to be sedated but it probably gets easier when you're used to them! I'm certainly hoping this will be my one and only :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Please try not to worry about it . I had one lately and I remember well going in to the room , was chatting and handed the nurse my glasses . Next she said would I like a tea or coffee . I thought it strange until I realised it was actually over ! They will look after you and take care of you and in a blink its over . The medical teams are so used to the effects of sedation and believe me even they are experts in looking after you . Its their job and they do it so well . Put your trust in them knowing that

If you are taking the prep the day before my one hint is to dress warmly and have heat on , I was frozen from the resulting losses ! Also use baby wet wipes as toilet paper will feel like sand paper . Use Vaseline to protect as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,886 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

iamwhoiam wrote:
    Please try not to worry about it . I had one lately and I remember well going in to the room , was chatting and handed the nurse my glasses . Next she said would I like a tea or coffee . I thought it strange until I realised it was actually over ! They will look after you and take care of you and in a blink its over

I had a similar experience with my last one, I've no memory of it whatsoever, the previous day is the worst bit of it. best of luck op

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Gaeilgeoir

Thank you all, just waiting to get my appointment from Michael's, could be a while I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

You are talking about a very specific and concrete fear, a short series of sessions with CBT would likely sort it. If that doesn't sound appealing,I did a quick google search and found this book : Bourne, E. (2015). The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook. New Harbinger Publication: Oakland, The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook. Edmund and Bourne California.

Might be useful, will be interesting either way. The old editions are about 5 euro on amazon including post and packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭aluminium

you will get the option of a sedative.

although it is a little uncomfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I held the same phobia as you OP - so fearful of loss of control I still felt pain at the dentist after Novocaine shots - the first time I had to be sedated it was for an endoscopy - I fought the sedation - swore a lot (seemingly) but still went out - and don't remember much of it.

I've been sedated for two brochoscopy all was fine - not a bother. And a endoscope and colonoscopy in which I came too during the colonoscopy - it was uncomfortable and I'd much rather be out.

I'm not so bad now have overcome my fear and I can do numb now after dental shots - I have never had a general anaesthetic (another phobia)

All I can say is relax and don't fight it.

Edit to add to the psychology of it - I was gassed to remove baby teeth as a small child I'm sure my fears stem from there. Awful experience.

Advertisement