Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martial Artists on Here! Current grades & clubs!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

antybots wrote: »
    I've had 6 amateur Muay Thai fights since I posted last.

In 3 months?! Fair play you busy git!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭antybots

Peetrik wrote: »
    In 3 months?! Fair play you busy git!

Actually that wasn't strictly true. I had 2 (1 win 1 loss) when I originally posted but I hadn't mentioned them. I've had 4 ( 1 loss 3 wins) since then though making a total of 6. I certainly was busy so I'm not going to take any fights until september at the earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My self and my daughter got an invite to test for our white belt, it's on July 15th... Not sure if we will get it or not, I hope so.... We have been training for 3months.... Think we have to perfect the stances, high, half guard and the normal stance, we have to throw a jab and cross punch, and do a round house kick, side kick and front snap, sorry if my terminology is off, still reading up on the content....

She missed her target and punched me in the chest, all I can say is ouch..... It was eye watering...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I'm a Green Belt in Judo. Haven't done it for a couple of years though. I might take it up again in the Fall.

Was a Yellow Belt [6th Kyu] in Oyama Karate but the club is closed down [the stories about that would make your head spin :mad::(]

I was originally a Green Belt w. Brown Stripe [3rd Kyu] in Kyokushin Karate but some Health issues [ruptured appendix at 19 and then Cancer at 27] derailed my training. Then I moved here in 2005.

Did some BJJ before I moved here.

I'm moving to Dublin in the next month so I'll be taking up Kyokushin again. And I'll probably take up BJJ again as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

My self and my daughter got an invite to test for our white belt, it's on July 15th... Not sure if we will get it or not, I hope so.... We have been training for 3months.... Think we have to perfect the stances, high, half guard and the normal stance, we have to throw a jab and cross punch, and do a round house kick, side kick and front snap, sorry if my terminology is off, still reading up on the content....

She missed her target and punched me in the chest, all I can say is ouch..... It was eye watering...
    Don't worry about the terminology most styles have their own versions of the terminology so most know multiple names for each move sure everyone understands what you mean.

I dunno what standard white belt is your club but I'm sure you'll get it, they don't usually let you grade unless you are going to pass it. At least thats my experience.

As to the punches being off target I hate when that happens. I really do. Miss the target and punch in the face or even worse when someone is supposed to simulate a strike to the groin by hitting my leg and messes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I am a purple belt in Bushido although haven't done it in about 18 years. I also have a blue belt in Kempo which haven't done that in about 22 years. Was doing Judo last year and really enjoyed it although I never graded (wasn't bothered). Unfortunately due to moving down the country I cant do Judo anymore which is a pity as I am a natural at it.

Doing BJJ No-Gi and MMA now, I still use lots of aspects of my previous training in MMA and it really stands to me. I think that I may just focus on BJJ Gi as I don't have the time to train too much nowadays with a little baby plus at 35 with a rebuilt knee, I am not as spritely as I used to be... but i just love full contact :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

Cool thread!

I am currently a 1st Dan black belt in shotokan karate (Havent trained for a good while though) as I moved onto try other martial arts like kickboxing, Brazilian jiujitsu and MMA training. But my karate sticks with me!

I do MMA training now and again but Train in Brazilian juijitsu allot more

Currently have a White belt with three stripes in BJJ My instructor is kieran o'brian and head coach Micheal Russel http://michaelrussellbjj.webs.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ants09

Got a 1st Dan in kantanni karate do in 1991

While i was doing my 1st Dan i decided to try other styles and moved over to kickboxing and stayed in that style and got my 1st Dan in 1996 in Mugendo

I gave up martial arts because of work and other commentments and i went to the wako worlds in city west and realised how much i miss it and now back in kickboxing and i must say i am :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

ants09 wrote: »
    Got a 1st Dan in kantanni karate do in 1991

While i was doing my 1st Dan i decided to try other styles and moved over to kickboxing and stayed in that style and got my 1st Dan in 1996 in Mugendo

I gave up martial arts because of work and other commentments and i went to the wako worlds in city west and realised how much i miss it and now back in kickboxing and i must say i am :D

fair play to you getting back into it!

what mugendo club do you train with? if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ants09

fair play to you getting back into it!

what mugendo club do you train with? if you don't mind me asking?

The same one you go to :) Mugendo Dublin now IMKA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

ants09 wrote: »
    The same one you go to :) Mugendo Dublin now IMKA

ah Its yourself. was thinking I knew ya!
    see ya at training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Got my first belt in kickboxing last night, Mini grindelwald got her first belt too.... first of many i hope :D

Graded on Monday 4th kyu or second purple now after a little under 2 years of karate

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Just giving this thread a bump to see how we are all doing? Any developments?

I currently have not advanced at all since my last grading. Between a new job with conflicting hours, and then a nasty back injury, I've been on the shelf :/

However I resumed light training this week, jogs, weights at home etc...
    But am wondering what would be the best way to get back into it and get another grade under my belt. Would jumping straight back in be wise? Risk of re-injury and possible time of from a new job as a result...

What training would ye's recommend doing to build back up fitness and strenght?

Thanks

What training would ye's recommend doing to build back up fitness and strenght?

Running, lots of running, absolutely no better way of building fitness IMO. Very fast 5km (sub 20min ideally) runs will build your gas tank and let you dictate the pace of a fight.
    Sprints (50-100m) will give you explosive power without tiring you out.

As to progress, no belts in Muay Thai but I've had 3 fights since I last posted on this thread

• Advertisement

Running, lots of running, absolutely no better way of building fitness IMO. Very fast 5km (sub 20min ideally) runs will build your gas tank and let you dictate the pace of a fight.
    Sprints (50-100m) will give you explosive power without tiring you out.

Running it is. Don't mind running at all. Got new running shoes of Sports Direct for only 15quid. Grand yokes :P

What about some weight training? I've gone a good bit looser and the mid section has gained an inch...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I find running good for stamina and weight control, but would also throw in a couple of kettlebell sessions each week. You'd want to check with your doc what's appropriate exercise though recovering from an injury. I'd also cycle a fair bit which is much lower impact than running, but still good for stamina and weight, as is swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭antybots

No progress here. I've changed club since I last posted and I haven't had any more fights while I've been settling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tadix

Great thread ,I started off in Judo as a kid had 3 tips on my blue belt before moving onto WTF TKD where I got to my red belt, before the club moved away.Then I did no-gi BJJ for a year before moving clubs to start training and competing in MMA ,K-1 and Boxing as well as the no-gi and I've been there for 5 years now.
    I'd like to get a chance to grade in BJJ one day but as I only turned 21 this month I'm in no rush

Went back training tonight... fantastic feeling! Gonna feel it in the morning tho :P

• Advertisement

I graded tonight for 3rd Kyu (1st Brown)

I feel horrible at the moment and dread how I'll feel in the morning but I'm glad I did it

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Matt KSW

Hi all
    i'm new here my style is kuk sool won i run the only school in Ireland down in cork, and i'm a 4th dahn.

snip
    nice to see so many different stylist getting on with each other

March of last year was when I last graded in TJJ... Haven't actually trained with my club since January. (Injury and work commitments)
    Done a wee bit of BJJ last month, so feeling good for a return to TJJ this week!

Anyone else have any updates of there MA journey?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Izanaki

2nd Dan of Iwama Shin Shin Aikido. I'm running my dojo in Harold's Cross Road, Dublin snip
    はじめまして! (Nice to meet you all!)

Stefano

Bump!

Any progress lads?

It's been two years since I graded and a long time since I actually had time to add to this forum.

Someone start a thread there about MA documentaries, I wanna watch some good stuff.

3 more fights from me. Moved up to A class last year so that's a measurement of progression I suppose.

Warriors of the Mongkon is a decent enough documentary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

nah nothing from me, I went back to college and my training has been confined to Summer months only. Finished college this year though, so hope to get back into practice. Won't be doing any gradings for a long time though, as getting fitness and resistance levels back up and re-applying previously learned but not frequently practiced techniques is my main priority when I get the get Gi back on.

Warriors of the Mongkon is a decent enough documentary

Can imagine the do-gooders getting all offended watching the kids going at it.

Good insight into the lives, culture and origins there tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Got the oul BJJ blue belt there a few months ago. Been dabbling in amateur MMA with mixed success in the last few months as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Fighting for points off my Judo black belt today.

Its 03:20am and I'm just in from work, having a ham sambo and (oh the shame of it) a can of beer to calm the nerves :(

• Advertisement

Fighting for points off my Judo black belt today.

Best of luck man :cool:

Best of luck Maki!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Havnt been training properly in nearly 2 years, flat out with college.
    Going back kickboxing tomorrow though, cant wait to get back into it.
    Might try my hand at K1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Had an operation on my hip around this time last year (bone and cartilage issue). Was told afterwards its best to stop the high kicks etc.

So I'm not doing anything at the moment. At some point in the future I might try another martial art that isn't demanding on the hips.

Giving this a bump...

I'm returning to training this weekend after a four year absence due to work, family etc.

How is everyone getting on?

Giving this a bump...

I'm returning to training this weekend after a four year absence due to work, family etc.

How is everyone getting on?

I'd forgotten about this thread.

I got my Judo black belt on Feb 14th (St.Valentines Day :D ) 2015 ~ just a few weeks before my 50th birthday :cool:

I'd forgotten about this thread.

I got my Judo black belt on Feb 14th (St.Valentines Day :D ) 2015 ~ just a few weeks before my 50th birthday :cool:

Wow! Belated congratulations, man.

I've been itching to get back for a few months now and finally my old club are running classes on the weekends. So, gonna dust off the old Gi and give it a go...

However, I'm apprehensive as my physical fitness is appalling. And my diet has been disgraceful over the last two years. Weight is up, feeling tired and sluggish all the time, so I'm really hoping I'm able to get back into the swing of things. :o

Wow! Belated congratulations, man.

I've been itching to get back for a few months now and finally my old club are running classes on the weekends. So, gonna dust off the old Gi and give it a go...

However, I'm apprehensive as my physical fitness is appalling. And my diet has been disgraceful over the last two years. Weight is up, feeling tired and sluggish all the time, so I'm really hoping I'm able to get back into the swing of things. :o

Thank you.

Also in that time I was diagnosed with type II diabetes last year, which kinda emotionally wiped me out for a few days. Well actually for less than 24 hrs actually but I was upset for a few days.

I went home, and said 'fvck it diabetes can start tomorrow morning and I went on a bender. Including a manky chipper on the way home from the local.

Next morning I went off the gargle, went very low carb and started a coach to 5k app.

Long story short, my first comp last year I was 130kgs. My last comp I was 97kgs and my diabetes is in remission and my weight is still -100kg and I'm regularly running 5-10km including one of the best things I've found in years ~ Parkrun (parkrun.ie).

In training for the Masters Open in November at -100kgs and can't wait.

Best of luck getting back into training.. Consider a C25k app, they're fantastic and the easiest way I've ever found to get fitter.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Thank you.

Also in that time I was diagnosed with type II diabetes last year, which kinda emotionally wiped me out for a few days. Well actually for less than 24 hrs actually but I was upset for a few days.

I went home, and said 'fvck it diabetes can start tomorrow morning and I went on a bender. Including a manky chipper on the way home from the local.

Next morning I went off the gargle, went very low carb and started a coach to 5k app.

Long story short, my first comp last year I was 130kgs. My last comp I was 97kgs and my diabetes is in remission and my weight is still -100kg and I'm regularly running 5-10km including one of the best things I've found in years ~ Parkrun (parkrun.ie).

In training for the Masters Open in November at -100kgs and can't wait.

Best of luck getting back into training.. Consider a C25k app, they're fantastic and the easiest way I've ever found to get fitter.

Same thing happened to me in regards to the type 2, it can be reversed.. congrats on everything!

• Advertisement

eeloe wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me in regards to the type 2, it can be reversed.. congrats on everything!

My last HBA1C test was 5.5 :D so my doctor is happy to say I'm at pre diabetes now but I'm being left on 500mg Metformin per day due to my age and because there's a history of T2 in the family and because my BG was has been up there.

But this morning I've been prescribed Lipitor for high cholesterol, I've a bit of a pain in the arse about this.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

My last HBA1C test was 5.5 :D so my doctor is happy to say I'm at pre diabetes now but I'm being left on 500mg Metformin per day due to my age and because there's a history of T2 in the family and because my BG was has been up there.

But this morning I've been prescribed Lipitor for high cholesterol, I've a bit of a pain in the arse about this.

Just stay on top of it man, you can get off all of it with a little bit of effort looking after yourself.

I was on Metformin and lipitor, but i was in my late 20's, managed to get off it all.

eeloe wrote: »
    Just stay on top of it man, you can get off all of it with a little bit of effort looking after yourself.

I was on Metformin and lipitor, but i was in my late 20's, managed to get off it all.

Cheers, tbh staying on meds doesn't bother me in the slightest. Its just a pain in the ass having to see the doctor for perscriptions and having them filled.

So back to the thread.

Fighting in a few weeks for hopefully the last few points off my 2nd dan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

BJJ Purple Belt hailing out of Team Ryano Portlaoise
    (also trained in Bushido, Kempo, Judo and Muay Thai)

Advertisement