Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bipolar and jobs

• 16-08-2015 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23

Hi everyone, Im an 18 year old female, I won't go into details but people and family think I may be bipolar, I will be going to the doctors soon and if I am diagnoised does this mean my career opportunities are made slim? I want to become a nurse and I am starting a Plc nursing course in September and I was planning on hopefully going to university to study nursing next year. I mean I don't think I'm that bad but I do have horrible mood swings where it's ruining relationships with family and I want it to end, I want help but I also want a career that I wanted all my life. Even if I'm stable with the right medication would I have a chance to get into uni.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Emily97 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, Im an 18 year old female, I won't go into details but people and family think I may be bipolar, I will be going to the doctors soon and if I am diagnoised does this mean my career opportunities are made slim? I want to become a nurse and I am starting a Plc nursing course in September and I was planning on hopefully going to university to study nursing next year. I mean I don't think I'm that bad but I do have horrible mood swings where it's ruining relationships with family and I want it to end, I want help but I also want a career that I wanted all my life. Even if I'm stable with the right medication would I have a chance to get into uni.

Thanks

There's no reason why you shouldn't have a perfectly normal life if you manage the disorder (assuming you have one) properly. ReachOut has a page with lots of information and links that you might find useful to start off with.

Can't insert link, but here it is: http://ie.reachout.com/inform-yourself/depression/bipolar-disorder/

"Bipolar disorder is manageable, and usually requires long-term support. Many people with bipolar disorder are creative and intelligent, and with proper management of their condition, lead full and productive lives."

List of people who have bipolar disorder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

I am diagnosed Bipolar 2.

I took a few months off to try recover and am now back in the same job and flying it. It has actually really helped the condition as I was stagnating at home with little motivation to do anything.

Don't lose hope, I find its very manageable.

Also as rough as the depressive stages are, at least you don't get into as much trouble. When I am manic I am liable to do anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The thread's a bit old and the OP may not be around.

I was in college with someone who was bipolar. I don't know what support she had as I didn't know her well. Now I know someone else with bipolar doing a doctorate. As well as obvious supports like the college doctor, see if there's anything more practical or what the disability service has to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Working long hours and having irregular hours and shifts and sleep deprivation are not great for bipolar. I'm sure there are areas of nursing where this is less of a problem, maybe private hospitals? Maybe certain types of nursing? Anyway we don't know if you ever got your dx since this is from 2015. I hope it all went well :)

Advertisement