Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin Collection Excess Charge.

Options
  • 05-08-2018 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

HI,

Just received my Bin Collection bill for next year.
    It includes a charge of € 60.00 for excessive weight @ 0.16 per kilo...
    Got on to them and came to an arrangement.

My question is this ::
    How do I know when my bin is overweight ?
    Is there some way of weighing a 240l bin ?
    Basically I have no way of knowing whether their figures are correct or not..

Any ideas ?

Second question ::

The Brown Bin ( Food waste ).
    Can you put your food into a brown paper bag, rather than just dumping
    the food directly into the bin, resulting in smell, mess, flies etc...

Thanks

Jay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

The trucks have weighing systems on them that are regularly calibrated. You can wrap food in newspaper and that will limit the smell, you can get compostable liners for the bin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I regularly power wash my bins to try deal with the mess and smells, works fairly well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Closov

I'm interested how you managed to get them to come to an arrangement?

It seems strange because the €0.16 rate seems like it would already be much cheaper than their normal Pay by Weight rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭gelsthe

Greyhound charging me 20cent per kg over arranged weight. Thornton's were 16cent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Do people actually put food directly into their brown bin without a compostable bag? Thats ****ing disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I regularly power wash my bins to try deal with the mess and smells, works fairly well

You're not allowed power wash in half the country.
    guil wrote: »
    The trucks have weighing systems on them that are regularly calibrated. You can wrap food in newspaper and that will limit the smell, you can get compostable liners for the bin too.

Is there anyone independent that oversees this "regular calibration"?

If you're paying by weight there shouldn't be a limit anyway. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Patww79 wrote:
    You're not allowed power wash in half the country.

Haven't during the ban, but I suspect it ll be removed soon, so it ll be back to power washing thankfully, as the bins stink

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

Patww79 wrote: »
    guil wrote: »

Is there anyone independent that oversees this "regular calibration"?

If you're paying by weight there shouldn't be a limit anyway. It's ridiculous.
    Not all customers are on pay by weight. Some are flat fee, some pay per lift and some on pay by weight. Flat fee and pay per lift will be subject to a maximum total weight throughout the year or per collection.

Advertisement