Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When I was a young boy...

Options
  • 04-07-2015 11:15pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My father took me into the city
    To see a marching band.

He said "Son, when you grow up,
    Will you be the saviour of the broken,
    The beaten, and the damned?"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I said "no. I doubt it. Why do you ask? Weird question...". And my dad shut up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

That's weird, mine did the same thing. Except once he realised I was his daughter he ran off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

"...But the destiny of the pop song, if styles have a logic and inventions have a manner, is travelling in a difficult direction, because to be so overwhelming and "informative" (in the cybernetic sense) the moment of the explosion should be (and will increasingly have to be) unique, punctual, isolated in the middle of the composition, which to be overwhelming will have to underline and prolong the waiting, the introductory frustration.

The destiny of the beautiful song is thus to be all very ugly, except for one little, humble, marvelous central moment, which must die out at once, so that when it returns it will be hailed by the most intense ovation ever heard.

Only when the song has become entirely unpleasant will the audience feel happy at last."

Umberto Eco, "Lady Barbara" 1972.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Fine for ye, going into a town to see an 'aul band. Probably wasted a fine day ye could've used saving hay or cutting turf. Typical townies.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

An File wrote: »
    My father took me into the city
    To see a marching band.

He said "Son, when you grow up,
    Will you be the saviour of the broken,
    The beaten, and the damned?"

He said "Will you defeat them,
    Your demons, and all the non-believers,
    The plans that they have made?
    Because one day I'll leave you,
    A phantom to lead you in the summer,
    To join The Black Parade."

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

:P

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I went on a first date with someone to a nightclub (I know, I know.). This song came on, he didn't recognise it from the opening note, so I bailed on the date. #noshame

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

You're a disgrace, Tommy.

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    You're a disgrace, Tommy.

Sometimes I get this feeling you're watching over me... :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

An File wrote: »
    Sometimes I get this feeling you're watching over me... :pac:

I'll... carry on :P

• Advertisement

So long, folks. It was great while it lasted.

Of all the money that e'er I spent
    I spent it in good company
    And all the harm that e'er I've done
    Alas, it was to none but me.
    And all I've done for want of wit
    To memory now I can't recall,
    So fill to me the parting glass
    Good night and joy be with you all.

Advertisement