Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor Upgrade - Budget 27inch 1440p 144hz

Options
  • 22-01-2019 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi,

Looking for advice on this Dell S2719DGF now that gsync is supported on freesync monitors?

Works out at €360 with the current 10% discount code on Dell, same is ~€430 on Amazon.

Currently have a 3 year old build with a GTX970, Intel i5 4460 and a BenQ GL2450 but plan to upgrade the GPU in the next 12-18months so would like to future proof the monitor purchase.

My budget is limited to €350 and will be using it for work, gaming and a little photo and video editing. Honestly didn't think it would be possible to tick all the boxes at that budget for 27 inch, 1440p, 144hz, gsync/freesync etc.

Other similarly priced options I found are:
    iiyama GB2760QSU-B1 ~€390
    AOC Agon AG271QX was ~€450 up till recently
    Everything else seems to be €500 plus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

No one has tested it, and AFAIK there are issues with Nvidia's implementation of FreeSync.

However, surely AMD will release Navi in the next 12-18 months! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Before you order from Dell, try to haggle the price with the online sales agent. You may be pleasantly surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

For a 144hz monitor you would really want a better CPU too, an i5-4460 barely cuts it at 60hz anymore for the latest more intensive games, but of course it depends on the games. An i7-4770 or i7-4790 2nd hand should be around €130, the 'K' versions with an overclock would be ideal for 144hz. Plus, the i7 also makes a good difference to video editing.

As for Gsync, you'll just have to google around, Reddit has some good threads compiling info on different monitors. Mine works flawlessly with Gsync, but some monitors have bad problems which render the feature pretty much worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

dell has excellent warranties on their monitors also, some have a single pixel being dead then you can replace whole monitor upto 3 years, check if this one is included in that

• Registered Users Posts: 49 paddykelly6

Cheers lads, appreciate the input. Will keep that in mind re the CPU and haggling with Dell.

Found a few Reddit threads/comments and the consensus seems to be that gsync works well on the S2719DGF.

I know it's too much monitor for what I need now gaming wise but really want the added screen size and don't want to limit my options in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Those Dell monitors look great on paper but the vast majority of user feedback details serious gamma and colour banding issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/ailfvw/dell_s2719dgf_vs_dell_s2417dg/?st=jr92rtg6&sh=5dad040f

Appreciate the input but does the majority of advice in that thread not say the banding issues are with the Dell S2417DG and that the S2719DGF is a better replacement option?

It's not just that site but feedback from various tech forums I've been poking around as I'm pretty much looking for a 27-32" 144hz 1440p monitor as well.

the Aorus AD27QD is due out on 31st Jan, reviews are positive enough, but; it seems that the response time of the panel is not great which is the biggest caveat

worth checking out;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuzO9xK04Jk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBYCAsDNFq8

pricing is around £535

That's fair enough. The Auros looks the business alright but unfortunately the budget won't stretch that far.

• Advertisement

The response times of the Aorus AD27QD are pretty bad compared to other monitors in its price range tho and HDR 400 is worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,418 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    No one has tested it, and AFAIK there are issues with Nvidia's implementation of FreeSync.

However, surely AMD will release Navi in the next 12-18 months! :pac:

Not sure where you heard that but by all accounts it’s working great across most monitors.
    I’m even consider dumping my dell g sync for a 34 curried freesync 2 model.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I have the Dell S2716DG 1440 gsync 1ms 144hz montior and its the best monitor ive ever had.
    Colours are as good as my ips 60hz sitting beside it but performance is on another planet altogether.
    Build quality is exceptional as always.

No gamma or colour issues here or on my friends who also has the same monitor.

FWIW after the feedback and further research, I think 144hz is probably overkill for my requirements/specs right now. The extra screen size and real estate in a 27inch 1440p are what I really want. I was just throwing in 144hz for the future but it was really bumping up the cost.

Found a very reasonable iiyama 1440p monitor with freesync for €200 so reckon I'm going to pull the trigger on that for now.

Cheers

just be sure about your decision, for me future proofing is important, especially the way tech moves so quick

monitors are probably one of the top 3 parts to a computer setup, you look at it and need it to do anything and generally you want them to last several years

144hz is very apparent over 60hz, its the type of thing that you say jaysus I could never go back to 60hz

but I conceed it also comes down to individual needs, what you are using it for; be it gaming, which resolutions, what horsepower your pc can provide; work productivity etc

remember amazons return policy is first class

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

You will never play on 60hz panel after 144hz, its night and day difference.

If budget and horsepower is an issue id go 1080P 144hz before 1440 60hz every day of the week.

Advertisement