Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for newcomer to hearing aids

Options
  • 10-01-2019 3:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

We’ve just discovered that my Dad has 90%hearing loss and has been recommended to get hearing aids.
    No one in our family has experience with hearing loss/hearing aids to date and don’t know how best to go about it. We’re not going directly through HSE as it will take too long (my Dad is elderly), so we’re looking at the likes of Specsavers and Hidden Hearing. Can anyone advise about ones to be recommended or avoided? He lives in Waterford City.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Would avoid Hidden Hearing. I'd go as far as saying; avoid Hidden Hearing, as I have not heard good things about them. Not sure about SpecSavers; I think someone has said it's good.

=-=

There's a Deaf Hear centre in Dublin; a lot of people on here like it. Seems their website now points to a website called "Chime".
    Chime’s Hearing Aid Service focuses on providing a holistic service to persons with hearing loss.
    Have no idea what is meant by this.

But here's the address of Chime in Waterford;
    2nd Floor, St Johns Parish Hall, Catherine St, Waterford
    Tel: 051 855 777
    Text: 085 806 0911 (this is very cool of them)
    I'm unsure what services that they provide there, but they may be able to point you to an audiologist.

I like Bonavox, but I'm biased, as I've been using them at their Dublin location a long time. Bonavox holds free hearing checks in Jennings Opticians, Enniscorthy; 4 Market Square, Enniscorthy, Tel.: 053 9236400

I'd say even if you goto elsewhere, check Chime out; I find that the Deaf Hear location in Dublin has a good rep, so would think Chime is also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Personally I would wait for an app with the audiologist from the hse.

I have been with different private hearing aid suppliers and paid thousands throughout the years for in the ear hearing aids

This last 10 or so years I use the Hse and find their hearing aids brilliant.The first thing the audiologist said to me was that the in the ear aid was not suitable for my degree of hearing loss and I should have behind the ear aid's which were stronger

She said it was not her job to sell hearing aids but to provide patients with aid's that suit their needs

lulu1 wrote: »
    I have been with different private hearing aid suppliers and paid thousands throughout the years for in the ear hearing aids

This last 10 or so years I use the Hse and find their hearing aids brilliant.The first thing the audiologist said to me was that the in the ear aid was not suitable for my degree of hearing loss and I should have behind the ear aid's which were stronger
    I found with the HSE, I got what I was given.

With a private company, you can choose what to buy.
    She said it was not her job to sell hearing aids but to provide patients with aid's that suit their needs
    That suit the patients needs, and within the HSE's budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Op asked for opinions and I them mine as a hearing aid user and a patient of both private and public hearing aid suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

Op asked for opinions and I them mine as a hearing aid user and a patient of both private and public hearing aid suppliers

Exactly, what the OP asked for :D

But the poster who commented on your post has already admitted they are "biased" towards a brand. :rolleyes:
    Even to the point of suggesting a service they havent used. :rolleyes:
    Take from that what you will.

My "opinion" is that its a minefield out there, so theres always someone ready to sully one brand over another.

And whilst I was happy with Blackberry hearing who supplied mine (for both cost and service), I am sure there are other who disagree.

• Advertisement

lowelife wrote: »
    Exactly, what the OP asked for :D

But the poster who commented on your post has already admitted they are "biased" towards a brand. :rolleyes:
    Even to the point of suggesting a service they havent used. :rolleyes:
    Take from that what you will.
    Have used Deaf Hear for a "deaf" alarm clock. Still using it now, 4 years later. So although haven't used them for their hearing aids, have found them to be good.

I admit my biased towards a shop, who only sell one brand, as they are knowledgeable, and also as they can fix stuff inhouse; SpeacSavers will often send stuff back to the UK to get it fixed.

Personally speaking, once I hit 18, the HSE washed it's hands of my hearing issue.

Advertisement